Reduction in passport fees for UK citizens overseas

Wow why is this so expensive ? I felt bad paying my French passport about 60 Euro...but this one ! Wow ! How can they justify it ?

Surely we don't need to explain the difference.

Think Rolls Royce Phantom and citroen 2Cv

I clicked "like" then unclicked after I thought about it and remembered Rolls Royce cars are now German!

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bandits took my £147.86 on 10th March. Fingers crossed I will get my new passport back. The rules about photos worry me. No photo booths here. Photo took in a Fuji photo shop in Surin (best I could find anyway). Showed them the rules but they changed the background colour, cropped, chopped and used all kinds of clever computerised crap, printed out the result, cut the photos to the correct size using a paper guillotine and put out their hands for the money. They assured me that they have done this "many time for farang", so no problem! Looked good to me, but we all know about small minded officials, so now I'm sweating as of course there is no online progress reporting of how the application is proceeding, must be too difficult, even though I checked my letter all the way to Liverpool using thailandpost tracking number. (Passport expires Oct, but retirement visa Jul)

'Photo-shopping' can cause probs @ HMPO, leading to unnecessary delays. A normal application takes around 28 days but if the photos are wrong it can take up to 3 months.

HTH

Seems to me if the UK government gave most of you the passport you would still moan.

You ever lived there? I challenge you to live there, work hard for 30 years and have nothing to moan about at the end of it. There are reasons why so many rats have deserted a sinking ship.

Yes I have lived and worked there, love the place. Sure there is plenty to moan about just as everywhere else but a REDUCTION in fees is not one of them.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Does that mean I will get a rebate.

My application arrived at Liverpool 3 weeks ago today and nobody over there can tell me what is happening.

same with me!!

its crazy!! I pay over £150 for a passport and the 'service' is awful!!!

4 weeks have already passed and they said its still in the first stage!!! (as in - my documents being checked over!!!)

i called the helpline and they said the person dealing with my application will call me within 72 hours,,, which will be this afternoon,,, (and still no call yet)

A few years back my passport didn't have any more pages, but still had 18 months to go. I was given a new one (free) to tide me over until the expiry date. Maybe Paris thought that this peasant would storm something.

By the way, the poster who complained that the French don't use the word " computer'. He should do a little bit of homework. There are an awful lot of languages where there is another word for it. My Finnish friend who speaks quite good English always talks about her "data".

Someone is really out of date. Rolls Royce German and as for 2cv - they stopped building it decades ago.

I think Rolls Royce was taken over by BMW, which is a German company

Bandits took my £147.86 on 10th March. Fingers crossed I will get my new passport back. The rules about photos worry me. No photo booths here. Photo took in a Fuji photo shop in Surin (best I could find anyway). Showed them the rules but they changed the background colour, cropped, chopped and used all kinds of clever computerised crap, printed out the result, cut the photos to the correct size using a paper guillotine and put out their hands for the money. They assured me that they have done this "many time for farang", so no problem! Looked good to me, but we all know about small minded officials, so now I'm sweating as of course there is no online progress reporting of how the application is proceeding, must be too difficult, even though I checked my letter all the way to Liverpool using thailandpost tracking number. (Passport expires Oct, but retirement visa Jul)

'Photo-shopping' can cause probs @ HMPO, leading to unnecessary delays. A normal application takes around 28 days but if the photos are wrong it can take up to 3 months.

This is my worry, they didn't alter my face, just changed the background colour, but enlarged the photo to remove any remnants of the original colour before restoring it back to the original size. Cannot tell with the naked eye. Anyone out there had a problem and how did they contact you, if so.

HTH

Edited by watso63
moved reply from quoted text

This is my worry, they didn't alter my face, just changed the background colour, but enlarged the photo to remove any remnants of the original colour before restoring it back to the original size. Cannot tell with the naked eye. Anyone out there had a problem and how did they contact you, if so.

A suggestion would be to send new photos that fit the criteria along with a covering letter inc the tracking details of your original application. Having said that your earlier post leads me to suspect that your replacement could be on it's way.

HMPO can reasonable be expected to contact applicants at the point of payment if there was a problem but they have been known to make mistakes, particularly if more that one person renews in a single transaction.

Edited by evadgib

The dimensions are very specific and very easy to follow. I took an instruction sheet into my Kodak shop in Buriram and, lo and behold, came out perfect - 45mm x 35mm with the crown of the head to chin within the 29mm to 34mm range.... and on a white background. The computer has a programme for sizing the measurements exactly - I am surprised the girls don't chop of their fingers whilst they are guillotining, they are constantly talking to colleagues. 100 Baht for 10 photos.

The dimensions are very specific and very easy to follow. I took an instruction sheet into my Kodak shop in Buriram and, lo and behold, came out perfect - 45mm x 35mm with the crown of the head to chin within the 29mm to 34mm range.... and on a white background. The computer has a programme for sizing the measurements exactly - I am surprised the girls don't chop of their fingers whilst they are guillotining, they are constantly talking to colleagues. 100 Baht for 10 photos.

Thanks and yes, I downloaded the official documents and they looked at the dimensions and they did choose them in the computer etc, but when they printed the photos they had to cut them out of a big sheet. I did ask if they printed them out individually, but just got the.... why farang want that for stare! Anyway I hope you're right and if I have a problem I will use the Kodak shop in Buriram next time. Very few things phase me over here, but no passport...no stay would be a bit of a headache. By the way, I ended up cutting the photos out myself because they seemed to think 48mm x 34mm would have been close enough, if you get my drift.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by watso63

On a slightly different tack, but related (mods, move if you want), my pal's passport expires in November this year. His retirement visa expires in July. Now, it seems he has to have 6 months left on his passport to get the new RV, so he intends to go to renew it in May, just before the 6 months kicks in. Fine so far.

Assuming he gets the new RV OK, he HAS to go back to the UK for a 6 weeks stay in November anyway for various reasons, not least to probably have his last Christmas with his elderly and sick father. He'll apply for a re-entry permit when he extends his RV in July. November is also when the passport runs out. He'll then get a new one from Liverpool (he only lives 30 miles away in Manchester).

After that, he'll have an old passport with a live visa in it, but the P/P corners cut off. When he returns to Thailand, he'll have to present them with a new, pristine, empty passport, yet he has a valid visa in the old passport.

Some idiots are saying he'll only get a 30 day stamp in the new passport, but there seem to be a number of options.

Firstly, I wondered if the Thai consulate in Liverpool could not transfer his visa to the new passport?

However, I called the the Hull consulate to check and they tell me that he just presents BOTH passports to the Immi officer at Swampy, points out the live visa in the dead passport and they will let him in, stamping the new passport. He then has to go to Chaeng Wattana to get the still-live visa transferred from the old passport to the new one. They say that although the old passport is defunct, the retirement visa contained in it is still live and is not cancelled along with the old passport.

Is this about the situation or does anyone know better? Post 31 above suggests his new passport should be notarised by the UK embassy first, but how can he do that from Swampy at 4 am or whenever his flight gets in? And anyway, he'd HAVE to be stamped in so he could go to the Embassy.

Edited by Mister Fixit

On a slightly different tack, but related (mods, move if you want), my pal's passport expires in November this year. His retirement visa expires in July. Now, it seems he has to have 6 months left on his passport to get the new RV, so he intends to go to renew it on May, just before the 6 months kicks in. Fine so far.

Assuming he gets the new RV OK, he HAS to go back to the UK for a 6 weeks stay in November anyway for various reasons, not least to probably have his last Christmas with his elderly and sick father. He'll apply for a re-entry permit when he extends his RV. This is also when the passport runs out. He'll then get a new one from Liverpool (he only lives 30 miles away in Manchester).

After that, he'll have an old passport with a live visa in it, but the corners cut off. When he returns to Thailand, he'll have to present them with a new, pristine, empty passport, yet he has a valid visa in the old passport.

Some idiots are saying he'll only get a 30 day stamp in the new passport, but there seem to be a number of options.

Firstly, I wondered if the Thai consulate in Liverpool could not transfer his visa to the new passport?

However, I called the the Hull consulate to check and they tell me that he just presents BOTH passports to the Immi officer at Swampy, points out the live visa in the dead passport and they will let him in. He then has to go to Chaeng Wattana to get the still-live visa transferred from the old passport to the new one. They say that although the old passport is defunct, the retirement visa contained in it is still live and is not cancelled along with the old passport.

Is this about the situation or does anyone know better? Post 31 above suggests his new passport should be notarised by the UK embassy first, but how can he do that from Swampy at 4 am or whenever his flight gets in? And anyway, he'd HAVE to be stamped in so he could go to the Embassy.

You need to have twelve months on your passport to get the retirement extention otherwise they will only give you up to your passport expiry date

• Like 1

On a slightly different tack, but related (mods, move if you want), my pal's passport expires in November this year. His retirement visa expires in July. Now, it seems he has to have 6 months left on his passport to get the new RV, so he intends to go to renew it on May, just before the 6 months kicks in. Fine so far.

Assuming he gets the new RV OK, he HAS to go back to the UK for a 6 weeks stay in November anyway for various reasons, not least to probably have his last Christmas with his elderly and sick father. He'll apply for a re-entry permit when he extends his RV. This is also when the passport runs out. He'll then get a new one from Liverpool (he only lives 30 miles away in Manchester).

After that, he'll have an old passport with a live visa in it, but the corners cut off. When he returns to Thailand, he'll have to present them with a new, pristine, empty passport, yet he has a valid visa in the old passport.

However, I called the the Hull consulate to check and they tell me that he just presents BOTH passports to the Immi officer at Swampy, points out the live visa in the dead passport and they will let him in. He then has to go to Chaeng Wattana to get the still-live visa transferred from the old passport to the new one. They say that although the old passport is defunct, the retirement visa contained in it is still live and is not cancelled along with the old passport.

You need to have twelve months on your passport to get the retirement extention otherwise they will only give you up to your passport expiry date

...... and charge you the full price.

just renew the passport and be done with it !

But remember to renew passport after 17th April & save 45 pounds

Ah. The Hull consulate said they always worked on 6 months, on the basis the passport holder will renew the passport before it expires and transfer the visa then.

You mean renew the passport AFTER 17 April to get the reduction, and then when it comes back, have the current retirement visa transferred?

Edited by Mister Fixit

You mean renew the passport AFTER 17 April to get the reduction, and then when it comes back, have the current retirement visa transferred?

Sorry thats what i meant to say 7th April

• Like 1

There has never been a 6 month passport validity requirement to apply for any extension of stay only for visas at an embassy or consulate (18 months for a multiple entry non immigrant visa).

Prior to August of last year you could apply for a one year extension and get the full extension with less than one year remaining on your passport. Since then if you do not have a full year remaining on your passport you will only get an extension equal to your passport validity and then have to apply for a new extension when it ends after you get a new passport.

The UK does give you back up to 9 months of the remaining passport validity when you get a new passport by adding those months on to your new passport.

Got mine back last month.

Cost me £151.bah.gif

I believe the passport office may offer an exception in your case Lite Beer in regards to a rebate on the fee. All they want is 2 official documents proving your address in Thailand laugh.png

I read once that the official documents are supposed to be utility bills (to be translated into English ) All our utility bills are in my girl friends name,does anyone know if a driving license and house registration book will be OK. If so,how much is to be translated, every word? Thanks

Got mine back last month.

Cost me £151.bah.gif

I believe the passport office may offer an exception in your case Lite Beer in regards to a rebate on the fee. All they want is 2 official documents proving your address in Thailand laugh.png

I read once that the official documents are supposed to be utility bills (to be translated into English ) All our utility bills are in my girl friends name,does anyone know if a driving license and house registration book will be OK. If so,how much is to be translated, every word? Thanks

Official documents to renew a passport??

I don't have utility bills in my name so what can I do?

You guys are lucky. Australian passports just keep going up, up and up in price to the point they are probably the most expensive in the world. A$238 for a 32 page passport and A$358 for a frequent traveller 69 page one. Not more than 10 years ago the frequent traveller one cost just A$222 and the standard one A$148. I also don't see the Aussies lowering their prices. Nothing in Australia ever gets cheaper.

Ah. The Hull consulate said they always worked on 6 months, on the basis the passport holder will renew the passport before it expires and transfer the visa then.

You cannot transfer visa's only permission to stay stamps n