Reduction in passport fees for UK citizens overseas

Got mine back last month.

Cost me £151.bah.gif

I believe the passport office may offer an exception in your case Lite Beer in regards to a rebate on the fee. All they want is 2 official documents proving your address in Thailand laugh.png

I read once that the official documents are supposed to be utility bills (to be translated into English ) All our utility bills are in my girl friends name,does anyone know if a driving license and house registration book will be OK. If so,how much is to be translated, every word? Thanks

Official documents to renew a passport??

I don't have utility bills in my name so what can I do?

I just got the Head of my school department to sign a letter on headed paper, stating my address. Worked fine, got my new pp back in 21 days :-)

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read once that the official documents are supposed to be utility bills (to be translated into English ) All our utility bills are in my girl friends name,does anyone know if a driving license and house registration book will be OK. If so,how much is to be translated, every word? Thanks

I believe the passport office may offer an exception in your case Lite Beer in regards to a rebate on the fee. All they want is 2 official documents proving your address in Thailand laugh.png

Go to immigration & ask for a residence certificate. Tell them it is needed for a new passport & they will do this for you in English ,that will save you having to get it translated. I done this last month at Jomtian. Cost 300baht. take with you 2 passport size photos & house book or rental contract.

I need to renew my UK passport in the near future,i have a Thai driving licence,work permit and house registration for foreigner(yellow book), i'm guessing i can use either of these as proof of my address in Thailand but do i need to get English translations?

I need to renew my UK passport in the near future,i have a Thai driving licence,work permit and house registration for foreigner(yellow book), i'm guessing i can use either of these as proof of my address in Thailand but do i need to get English translations?

Yes your address must be translated

Thanks, sorry to be dim i know my address in English but does the translation have to be carried out by a translation service and printed on their headed notepaper?

Thanks, sorry to be dim i know my address in English but does the translation have to be carried out by a translation service and printed on their headed notepaper?

I am not sure when i done mine i just got residence certificate. maybe someone here on T V will know.

Waiting for mine now, where do they get 91 pounds including a 45 pound deduction for a 48 page one I just paid 174 pounds plus 950 baht to send it.

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Got mine back last month.

Cost me £151.bah.gif

What is the > application procedure < for passport renewal from UK, (no longer via HK now) please advice

Many thanks.

For passport application see: https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

For more info it is discussed here: Changes to British passport services in Thailand

Thank you for outlining the passport application details.

Question ... What documents have to be sent for a normal adult passport, of course one needs 2. new photos, and has the old passport to be sent, or just a copy of it, and if so how many pages, and will there by be additional documents needed, please advice ... thank you.

Waiting for mine now, where do they get 91 pounds including a 45 pound deduction for a 48 page one I just paid 174 pounds plus 950 baht to send it.

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The cost for a 48 page passport is 174.36 including courier service. as from the 7th April 2014 the cost is being reduced by 45 pounds,

making the cost 129.36.

What you paid to send it has nothing to do with the above prices.

Thank you for outlining the passport application details.

Question ... What documents have to be sent for a normal adult passport, of course one needs 2. new photos, and has the old passport to be sent, or just a copy of it, and if so how many pages, and will there by be additional documents needed, please advice ... thank you.

2 photos. every page of your passport has to be photo copied in colour including blank pages. You do not need to send your passport.

proof of address in english eg rental contract. house book or residence certificate.

Wow why is this so expensive ? I felt bad paying my French passport about 60 Euro...but this one ! Wow ! How can they justify it ?

They can't justify it any more - that's the point.

When they were issuing them at embassies abroad they got away with stating there were additional costs involved.

However, now that they're issuing all passports in the UK, there are no longer any additional costs other than the courier, and they're already charging for that separately.

The whole previous process is "rip-off Britain" in action.

Why it's still £83 when other countries can produce passports with the same (or better) security features for less money - that's the real question here.

Proof of address. Will my contract be ok? A letter from my school maybe?

That might be alright, in addition bank statements up to 3 months old which state one's full address, also monthly invoices from the electricity board, the local telephone company, etc ... those printed addresses are acceptable to confirm one's current address.

The new passport price still cheaper than a reidence certificate at the British Embassy in BKK crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif

How do you work that out. I got my residence certificate last month from immigration cost 300 baht.

This particular institution, outside Thailand, would only accept a Brit Embassy cert. of residence. B3,080.

Proof of address. Will my contract be ok? A letter from my school maybe?

That might be alright, in addition bank statements up to 3 months old which state one's full address, also monthly invoices from the electricity board, the local telephone company, etc ... those printed addresses are acceptable to confirm one's current address.

Are you in Thailand?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I just looked at the website for applying and it says you can pay by credit or debit card.

Credit card I don't have and not even Thai Airways will accept Kasikorn Bank debit card so I suspect the UK Government wont either.

Can anyone tell me if other methods of payment are available?

I tried paying with SCB debit card that did not work, so i had to get a friend to do it on a english credit card.

I don't think there is any other way to pay it.

go to Bangkok Bank ask for a Wesren Union / Bangkok Bank money transfer made out to the passport office ( whatever name it is these days send with appropriate forms , job done, I am just amazed that they want you to fill out a from listing all your credit card details and post that with your documents , in this day and age of Paypal etc etc

Still isn't cheap when you look at it..? Passport with p&p 5,502 today's exchange rate then 2,000 for dhl to liverpool then on top of that the translate service 1,000 plus the passport pictures 200 plus the exchange rate when you do it so around 9,000thb.

Still isn't cheap when you look at it..? Passport with p&p 5,502 today's exchange rate then 2,000 for dhl to liverpool then on top of that the translate service 1,000 plus the passport pictures 200 plus the exchange rate when you do it so around 9,000thb.

So THB 75/m then ?

Not really a rip off is it ?.....and for those who say it is....drink a couple of Chang less a month..sorted...thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Registered post does the job @ around THB 200.

Registered post does the job @ around THB 200.

I agree, thats what i done registered post cost me 185 baht

We all know how good thai post service is thats if it doesnt go missing or take upto a month or three months to get there pus leaving ur cc info with thai post i would not trust it,

Edited by Notstupid30

We all know how good thai post service is thats if it doesnt go missing or take upto a month or three months to get there pus leaving ur cc info with thai post i would not trust it,

Thai post EMS (express mail service) is reliable and there is tracking all the way.

Many people have sent their passports to the UK by international EMS without a problem.

Thai post EMS (express mail service) is reliable and there is tracking all the way.

Many people have sent their passports to the UK by international EMS without a problem.

Normal registered post is perfectly adequate too & only costs around THB 200.

Normal registered post is perfectly adequate too & only costs around THB 200.

Not sure about the UK. But the difference between the EMS and registered would be that online tracking would end as soon as it leaves Thailand. Many countries do not have online tracking or requests for proof of delivery for registered mail.