Chiang Mai covered in smoke for the 4th day

webfact

Chiang Mai covered in smoke for the 4th day

chiangmai-haze-wpcf_728x413.jpg

CHIANG MAI: -- Most parts of Chiang Mai have been covered by smoke haze for the fourth consecutive day today (Friday) and the problem is affecting both locals and tourists.

A survey of the air quality at the provincial hall shows the amount of airborne dust particles at 125 microgramme/one cubic metre and 120 mocrogramme/one cubic metre in the centre of the town.

The smoke haze was caused by forest fires which, until Friday, were reported at 70 points in MaeChaem, Om Koi, Hod, Doi Tao and Mae Wang districts to the south of the province and in Chaiprakarn, Mae Taeng, Prao and Chiang Dao districts to the north.

It was reported that over 1,000 people had already been treated with respiratory problem.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/chiang-mai-covered-smoke-4th-day/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-03-14

So what, T.I.T. Lots of talk, never ever change. Third world and always will be. No matter how many shopping malls they build!

Same in USA, UK and many Western countries. UK is being taken to court by EU because air quality is so bad. Air and drinking water pollution in USA and UK and well over safe limits in may areas. No matter how many shopping malls UK and USA build, the air and water quality is still shocking in places. SO not just a Thai problem, as many Thai bashers like to claim.

• Like 1

According to a 2009 report, around "60 percent of Americans live in areas where air pollution has reached unhealthy levels that can make people sick". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_pollution_in_the_United_States

Sure puts Chiang Mai's air pollution into perspective. But many Americans don't like to admit they have problems in the good old US of A. Much better to bash Thailand and pretend allis well back home.

• Like 2

Glad that i dont live there, but would never consider it as i love the Sea .....

You mean the radioactive sea along the California coast. LOL. I'd prefer the Chiang Mia smoke to the radioactive sea around California.

Sorry i dont live there anymore, i live in ''Thailand'' and have done for four years..

Fortunately not up north, like i said, i like the ''Sea''... , have always been drawn to it...

So what, T.I.T. Lots of talk, never ever change. Third world and always will be. No matter how many shopping malls they build!

Same in USA, UK and many Western countries. UK is being taken to court by EU because air quality is so bad. Air and drinking water pollution in USA and UK and well over safe limits in may areas. No matter how many shopping malls UK and USA build, the air and water quality is still shocking in places. SO not just a Thai problem, as many Thai bashers like to claim.

Not the same thing. This is caused by deliberate burning. The UK stopped stubble burning over 30 years ago.

Sent from my very clever thingy that uses battery far too quickly

• Like 1

I wonder how many of your 87 posts are "same in UK and US…LOL

Thailand and the third-world at large aren't the only places with forest fires ... and the smokey cities that can come with them. We have this problem in USA ... and it's a problem in Europe, Central & South America, etc..

Edited by HerbalEd

According to a 2009 report, around "60 percent of Americans live in areas where air pollution has reached unhealthy levels that can make people sick". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_pollution_in_the_United_States

Sure puts Chiang Mai's air pollution into perspective. But many Americans don't like to admit they have problems in the good old US of A. Much better to bash Thailand and pretend allis well back home.

American's don't have a monopoly on not liking to admit problem in their home country. I bet your countrymen have the same problem. Speaking of bashing: looks like you are an American basher.

• Like 2

Glad that i dont live there, but would never consider it as i love the Sea .....

You mean the radioactive sea along the California coast. LOL. I'd prefer the Chiang Mia smoke to the radioactive sea around California.

So far no radioactive cesium has been detected on any USA Pacific beaches, which is evidence that no radioactive material from Fukushima has traveled to USA be sea.

Yes, there is radioactive material in the sand of USA Pacific beaches ... as well as many of the world's beaches ... but that is normal background radioactivity that's been there for millions of years.

You make a false comparison. Most of the USA does NOT have polluted air hanging about as Chiang Mai. And how many times have you read about bad water in the USA?

Hardly ever.

Thailand and the third-world at large aren't the only places with forest fires ... and the smokey cities that can come with them. We have this problem in USA ... and it's a problem in Europe, Central & South America, etc..

Hardly the same is it. It is not just Thailand, it is the whole of S.E. Asia that is affected by burning. Currently Singapore and Malaysia are suffering from burning in Indonesia. Why would a farmer stop burning, it does not take any energy, it does not take any time and its costs the price of one match. Give them an alternative or force punative measures. This is only one factor in Chiang Mai. The air along Mun Mueang catches in the back of your throat, you can see clouds of it rolling up the street at times. That is traffic fumes mixed in to the pollution pot. If you remember the Government here did moot the idea of raising further taxes on vehicles based on emissions. If they were really serious a good place to start would be to ban all continuously smoking vehicles, no fancy equipment required. Tuk Tuks might not be happy mind.

....and if it gets too much for us, we can always go and spend the better part of the day/evening hanging-out at the CNX Shopping Centres where the Air conditioning is pretty good.and unlike the "Good Ole USA" you are unlikely to get MUGGED.

Must be an American who wrote this and had to leave the US and loves to bash America. I lived in Chiang Mai for 7 years. The first 3 months of last year 90,000 people went to the hospital for respiratory ailments in CM! All is well back in CA where I now live...CLEAR air, good water, laws to protect the people....so breath deep for the next 3 months. Even my farang friends have breathing problems.

+1 wai.gif

willem1946

You ask another user what country he is from, I did not see his answer.

But I do need to inform that there is indeed a country that is TOTALLY pollution free and maybe you should go to see for your self.

The country???

NEW ZEALAND

the cleanest country in the world.

Rgds

Gimbo2

willem1946

You ask another user what country he is from, I did not see his answer.

But I do need to inform that there is indeed a country that is TOTALLY pollution free and maybe you should go to see for your self.

The country???

NEW ZEALAND

the cleanest country in the world.

Rgds

Gimbo2

Quite right. A great country - all it's people have left and are now polluting Australia! A smart move if you ask me.