Arizona man gets nine life terms for Buddhist temple murders

webfact

Arizona man gets nine life terms for Buddhist temple murders
David Schwartz
Reuters

PHOENIX (Reuters) - An Arizona man convicted of the execution-style killings of six Buddhist monks and three others at a temple near Phoenix more than two decades ago was sentenced on Friday to spend the rest of his life in prison.

Johnathan Doody, 39, was sentenced to nine consecutive life terms after being convicted by a jury in January of nine counts of first-degree murder and armed robbery for a crime that drew international attention and remains the most deadly mass murder in the southwest U.S. state's history.

Thailand-born Doody also received another 33 years for eight armed robbery counts, and one count each of burglary and conspiracy after being convicted in Maricopa County Superior Court after a month-long trial.

"From my perspective, there can be no other sentence," Judge Joseph Kreamer said in handing down his decision. Kreamer also read aloud the names of the nine people the then-high school student was convicted of murdering in Waddell, Arizona.

Full story: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-rt-us-usa-temple-murder-20140314,0,1153290.story

-- Chicago Tribune 2014-03-15

• Like 1

If he was caught in the act - seen by cctv etc - then he should be given a needle to put him away.

Good grief the scumbag was a high school student at the time. I hope he rots in jail and dies there.. preferably sooner rather than later, so that the American tax payers aren't funding the extension of this mongrels life one second longer than it has to be.

The judge says from his perspective, there can be no other sentence.

He's obviously never been to Thailand. cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Most here are not behind bars. We are free to leave if we wish. The same can't be said for the convicted.

If he was caught in the act - seen by cctv etc - then he should be given a needle to put him away.

Good grief the scumbag was a high school student at the time. I hope he rots in jail and dies there.. preferably sooner rather than later, so that the American tax payers aren't funding the extension of this mongrels life one second longer than it has to be.

Never having been convicted and serving a life sentence, at some point, the prisoner must beg in his/her mind for an end to the existence in "Lifers Row. It must be like dying a bit each day upon awakening and knowing there is no end until the last breath is taken.

The clock is the executioner with each tick of the second hand.

If he lives until 70 and bearing in mind the average annual cost to keep a person locked up in USA is $30,600 per inmate that's just short of $1 million which could be far better spent in so many other ways

Edited by Asiantravel

If he lives until 70 and bearing in mind the average annual cost to keep a person locked up in USA is $30,600 per inmate that's just short of $1 million which could be far better spent in so many other ways

For crimes like this he should get the death sentence

Legal costs for carrying out the death sentence are a lot more than $1 million dollars, in fact in the multi millions

I would prefer to read the evidence before making a judgment , not everything is as it appears , ask the hundreds of death row inmates there were cleared years later and the one's that ran out of time only to be exonerated later . judge not least ye be judged .

$30600 a year? Are ylu kidding?

In Australia the estimated total cost of keeping a person in jail is $200,000 a year, so 30 years would be $6 million, but indexed probably closer to $8M.

I don't see how an execution could possibly be a million $$, but it would be cost effective versus $8M

Legal costs for carrying out the death sentence are a lot more than $1 million dollars, in fact in the multi millions

This is needless.

Hand him over to the families of the slain. I am sure they could do it for free.

Never having been convicted and serving a life sentence, at some point, the prisoner must beg in his/her mind for an end to the existence in "Lifers Row. It must be like dying a bit each day upon awakening and knowing there is no end until the last breath is taken. The clock is the executioner with each tick of the second hand.

It's not necessarily so bad. Prisoners often adapt. They buddy up with others, watch satellite TV, library, get health care, teeth fixed, 3 ok meals a day, a warm comfy dry place to stay. US prisoners live more comfy lives than 70% of people elsewhere.

$30600 a year? Are ylu kidding?

In Australia the estimated total cost of keeping a person in jail is $200,000 a year, so 30 years would be $6 million, but indexed probably closer to $8M.

I don't see how an execution could possibly be a million $$, but it would be cost effective versus $8M

US officialdom is very adept at spending ten to thirty times more for things than they need to. If left to reasonable budget-minded people, the cost for official things would be incredibly lower. For the murderer, I can think of some low-cost ways to snuff him out.

Never having been convicted and serving a life sentence, at some point, the prisoner must beg in his/her mind for an end to the existence in "Lifers Row. It must be like dying a bit each day upon awakening and knowing there is no end until the last breath is taken. The clock is the executioner with each tick of the second hand.

It's not necessarily so bad. Prisoners often adapt. They buddy up with others, watch satellite TV, library, get health care, teeth fixed, 3 ok meals a day, a warm comfy dry place to stay. US prisoners live more comfy lives than 70% of people elsewhere.

if getting gangraped daily for the rest of your life is "comfy '' then fair enough ..........

it wouldnt be my cup of tea ...........

bulletts only cost a few cents each ......one in the back of the head and an end of the debate about what savings millions of dollars and what to do with this guy for the next 40 -50 years are whats needed

yoo mmuch PC BS thesedays ,if it happened in china the execution would be quick and cheap ,the west could learn a lot fromm of

its less civilised counterparts in dealing with scum like serial killers ,serial rapists etc