Taxi fare to Phuket airport costs more than airfare to Bangkok.

NomadJoe

There is an airport -Patong bus ( for now)

Once ur in Patong rent a motorcycle ( but not from the beach road) 150-200 baht/day

If we had baht bus's like Pattaya and no jet ski's most of the hassles for tourist would end

Rent a motorbike and transport yourself and maybe your travel companion and both your luggage to the airport....... Wow a new genious is born.....whistling.gif

Edited by Mangkhut

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the cost of Tuk Tuk and Taxis is the least of your worries, Drivers on drugs is the bigger issue here. 75 tour buses stopped on Patong hill road and drivers drug tested, 16 drivers tested positive.

Are you forgeting that there are no taxis, using their meter, for hire in the tourist areas and the tuk-tuks are 200 baht minimum journey?

That puts a lot of drunk tourists, expats and locals on the road driving/riding, especially along the coast road, due to the ridiculous transport situation here.

The chances of getting hit by a drunk in a car, or on a bike, are a lot higher that being hit by a tourist bus, with the driver on ya ba to stay awake. That makes the cost of tuk-tuks very much part of "your worries" here.

geeezz ... I'm glad I never ended up living in Phuket wai2.gif

I bet you're glad you never ended up dying on Phuket even more. :)

If yuo take drugs on a regular basis its makes you dummer and dummer.

Rip-off, Scams and druggies - Come to to Thailand and be dazed and confused

But hey! you had a good time right?

When I came to Thailand I believed the hype. Long-haul destination.

It is a disingenous dump.

I think the cost of Tuk Tuk and Taxis is the least of your worries, Drivers on drugs is the bigger issue here. 75 tour buses stopped on Patong hill road and drivers drug tested, 16 drivers tested positive.

tourists keep coming and always will a 1000 baht taxi fare to the airport wont stop them

Most would have their airport transfers included in thier holiday package

Phuket is still one of the cheapest asian holiday destinations with decent infrastucture

Its not the tourists complaining on this forum

"

Phuket is still one of the cheapest asian holiday destinations with decent infrastucture"

One of the cheapest? probably..

Decent infrastructure?.probably not..

Hmmm ..how about posting a short list of this decent infrastructure [it would be a very, very shortlist IMO]

4549885-Tuc_Tuc_price_board_Phuket.jpg

GZ20120913153337-JVjXKfayofe.jpg

aa.jpg

This trip would be about 250B in a Bangkok metered taxi. xsick.gif.pagespeed.ic.tVTSNn-2vr.png

Isn't it absurd that you can't pay an Air Asia ticket without paying a fee to pay? There is no free channel to pay.

You are charged to pay and that's a rip off. Totally unacceptable in Europe and forbidden by law. Hope that time will come here too. Shame on you Air Asia!

Some Tuk-Tuks and Taxi drivers will sit around all day until they get the price THEY want.

That is just NOT the way the WORLD WORKS!

Thailand will NOT get genuine tourists...

Airplane carries more PAX.... and an Airline Company makes money on some routes and not alot on others. Taxis/vans carry less. In Baltimore, it is 100 USD from the airport to my brothers home.

I am just saying....cannot compare the two...

I do believe they make a darn good income...

I'm amazed by the crap that I read here, really unbelievable.

Tourists spend 30-40K? to fly to Phuket, then complain about a 1000 baht taxi fare. Really? Feel sorry for those tourists.

How much they spend average per day? 3K? How many times you go to the airport and back? I guess one time arrival and one time departure. That is 2000 baht, less than you spend on one day....

Expats. Someone said it already: you were not forced to live on Phuket, it was your own free will. Then stop complaining!

The guy who promoted the use of yaba "to stay awake" should go to a hospital with victims of yaba drivers. Side effects of yaba: blurred vision (yes you read that correctly), overly self confidence, feeling of "nothing can happen". Great for a tour bus driver, well chosen to take drugs. Hang them, the idiots!

Tuktuks inside Patong. Why did you not choose a hotel on walking distance from the beach? Plenty of them, I never used a tuktuk in Patong, always walked.

Not a Phuket exclusively phenomena. For a very long time, a low budget Bangkok - Tokyo flight has been cheaper than the taxi fare from Tokyo Airport to the downtown.

True if you're talking about Narita and not Haneda. But Narita is twice the distance and Japan is not a developing country. Not to mention there are several other low cost options. Multiple trains and shuttles for a fraction of the cost of a taxi. The only people that take a taxi from Narita to Tokyo are either rich or ignorant of all the low cost options which can also be faster than a taxi.
Too true, only someone with an expense account or too much money would use a taxi for about ¥40,000 when for about ¥1,000 you can get a limited express train in the airport basement, there are other train services with more comfort or an airport coach service for ¥3,000.

Once ur in Patong rent a motorcycle ( but not from the beach road) 150-200 baht/day

If we had baht bus's like Pattaya and no jet ski's most of the hassles for tourist would end

No disrespect, but baht buses are not the answer; I've lived in Pattaya for 20+ years and ever since I bought my first car here they're my enemy. It's a good idea in theory but there are waaaayy too many of them. Last count I heard was around 700-900. Basically, since they're run by certain men in brown uniforms they have total immunity if they do anything wrong....and believe me they do a lot wrong. If you hit one because he's suddenly stopped in the middle of the road to pick up a farang, it's going to be your fault, not his for driving like an idiot. I agree with the jet ski comment though, same scamming problem here in Pattaya.

I'm heading to Phuket in A few months.Im hunting for A hotel that is near Patong,and the beach.I can't believe these tuk tuk prices.I will be doing a lot of walking.

Take a minibus to Patong for about 180 baht. Then walk about Patong - nowhere in central Patong is more than a 20 minute walk.

From the arrival hall walk straight through until you get outside. Ignore all the touts. Turn left and walk to the end to find the shuttle bus counter. Pay 180 and take a ticket and wait for the next mini bus. If you want to book one for your departure any of the tour guide stalls in town can do this but first service starts at 7am (if I remember correctly) and the trip can take 45 minutes to 1 hour so your flight needs to be 10am or later otherwise it's a taxi for 600-700.

Not a Phuket exclusively phenomena. For a very long time, a low budget Bangkok - Tokyo flight has been cheaper than the taxi fare from Tokyo Airport to the downtown.

Totally agree. It's the same in many cities throughout the world.

Karon to the airport is about 45km. That's a 90km round trip if the driver doesn't get a return fare, which is unlikely. And this is one of the major problems with Phuket, that you cannot pick up on someone else's territory.

I really don't have much of a problem with the airport fares. You can usually find someone to go to/from Karon for around 800 baht.

It's the short trips, e.g. 200 baht to step in a tuktuk or 400 baht Karon to Patong (7km) that I find difficult to accept.

This is the reason that I don't ever go to Phuket. I don't like being cheated!

No disrespect, but baht buses are not the answer; I've lived in Pattaya for 20+ years and ever since I bought my first car here they're my enemy. It's a good idea in theory but there are waaaayy too many of them. Last count I heard was around 700-900. Basically, since they're run by certain men in brown uniforms they have total immunity if they do anything wrong....and believe me they do a lot wrong. If you hit one because he's suddenly stopped in the middle of the road to pick up a farang, it's going to be your fault, not his for driving like an idiot. I agree with the jet ski comment though, same scamming problem here in Pattaya.

And rightly so. It's your responsibility not to follow so close that you cannot stop in time no matter what.

Edited by NomadJoe
  • Like 2

"tourists keep coming and always will a 1000 baht taxi fare to the airporticon1.png wont stop them

Most would have their airport transfers included in thier holiday packageicon1.png

Phuket is still one of the cheapest asian holiday destinations with decent infrastucture

Its not the tourists complaining on this forum"

Need to (respectfully) disagree on this one... I am, I hope, the kind of tourist that Phuket would want.... responsible, sober, respectful, and willing to spend money.

I made one trip to the island, had the most horrible taxi-driver experiences possible (and I am a frequent visitor to Thailand), and have never once returned, nor ever will.

This tourist is complaining on this forum!

tourists keep coming and always will a 1000 baht taxi fare to the airport wont stop them

Its not the current tourists complaining, its the past ones that Phuket has lost forever.

Yes, Right !!

I also stop visiting Phuket 4-5 years ago.

Phuket is not the paradise it once was.

Above rates for hotel and food.

Large increase in crime

There are so many other places to go...

Tourists spend 30-40K? to fly to Phuket, then complain about a 1000 baht taxi fare. Really? Feel sorry for those tourists.

How much they spend average per day? 3K? How many times you go to the airport and back? I guess one time arrival and one time departure. That is 2000 baht, less than you spend on one day....

Expats. Someone said it already: you were not forced to live on Phuket, it was your own free will. Then stop complaining!

The guy who promoted the use of yaba "to stay awake" should go to a hospital with victims of yaba drivers. Side effects of yaba: blurred vision (yes you read that correctly), overly self confidence, feeling of "nothing can happen". Great for a tour bus driver, well chosen to take drugs. Hang them, the idiots!

Tuktuks inside Patong. Why did you not choose a hotel on walking distance from the beach? Plenty of them, I never used a tuktuk in Patong, always walked.

So where do you live so we can all move to this perfect place free of any problems whatsoever. Can't a person like where they live yet that that place still have some problems worthy of complaints?

Same same silly argument put forth here time and again.

I happen to believe people, whether Thai, tourist, or expat, shouldn't have to pay an artificially inflated price for a service which exists as nearly the only option purely due to intimidation and threats of violence.

For good sake, stay where you are, the nice part of where I live is that there are hardly any farang, whether tourists or expats. I see them occasionnally when I go Tesco or in malls. Unhappy old farts, drinking and complaining as that is where they're good at. It's ok with me, just not my world. I'm a positive man who followed a wise Buddhist saying: "Think and find out who you are and where you are, then be happy with what you have found". I am happy, but there are always things that annoy, not really a reason to complain as it is not my country, I'm a guest here, no matter for how long.

As for inflated prices, why don't you complain in your own country? Any tourist destination has inflated prices, everywhere in the world. And personnally I can't consider 1000 baht for a taxi ride inflated, taking in consideration that the driver has to go back empty, as he is not allowed to pick up passengers...

So where do you live so we can all move to this perfect place free of any problems whatsoever. Can't a person like where they live yet that that place still have some problems worthy of complaints?

Same same silly argument put forth here time and again.

I happen to believe people, whether Thai, tourist, or expat, shouldn't have to pay an artificially inflated price for a service which exists as nearly the only option purely due to intimidation and threats of violence.

For good sake, stay where you are, the nice part of where I live is that there are hardly any farang, whether tourists or expats. I see them occasionnally when I go Tesco or in malls. Unhappy old farts, drinking and complaining as that is where they're good at. It's ok with me, just not my world. I'm a positive man who followed a wise Buddhist saying: "Think and find out who you are and where you are, then be happy with what you have found". I am happy, but there are always things that annoy, not really a reason to complain as it is not my country, I'm a guest here, no matter for how long.

As for inflated prices, why don't you complain in your own country? Any tourist destination has inflated prices, everywhere in the world. And personnally I can't consider 1000 baht for a taxi ride inflated, taking in consideration that the driver has to go back empty, as he is not allowed to pick up passengers...

I can when the minimum wage, even with an education, is only THB300!

• Like 2

"tourists keep coming and always will a 1000 baht taxi fare to the airporticon1.png wont stop them

Most would have their airport transfers included in thier holiday packageicon1.png

Its not the tourists complaining on this forum"

Need to (respectfully) disagree on this one... I am, I hope, the kind of tourist that Phuket would want.... responsible, sober, respectful, and willing to spend money.

I made one trip to the island, had the most horrible taxi-driver experiences possible (and I am a frequent visitor to Thailand), and have never once returned, nor ever will.

This tourist is complaining on this for

Try stopping in a decent resort hotel, no need for a taxi they will pick you up from the airport

You are allowed your own opinion on this forum, we agree to disagree coffee1.gif

Its not the current tourists complaining, its the past ones that Phuket has lost forever.

Yes, Right !!

Large increase in crime

Everything is cheaper for single males with limited funds in Cambodia and laos

Yes, Right !!

Large increase in crime

Everything is cheaper for single males with limited funds in Cambodia and laos

Why do you think someone must have "limited funds" because they are not prepared to be ripped off?

Most can afford transport here, but know it's an "out of line" transaction for the service because of the collusion and monopoly on the island.

Then, on principle, rather than an inability to pay, refuse to use transport here.

I use tuk-tuks all over Thailand, but I wouldn't give a Phuket tuk-tuk driver 1 baht, and haven't for years. That hardly means I should be moving to Cambodia or Laos where tuk-tuks and taxis are cheaper.

• Like 1