Taxi fare to Phuket airport costs more than airfare to Bangkok.

NomadJoe

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm heading to Phuket in A few months.Im hunting for A hotel that is near Patong,and the beach.I can't believe these tuk tuk prices.I will be doing a lot of walking.

Take a minibus to Patong for about 180 baht. Then walk about Patong - nowhere in central Patong is more than a 20 minute walk.

• Like 2

tourists keep coming and always will a 1000 baht taxi fare to the airport wont stop them

Most would have their airport transfers included in thier holiday package

Phuket is still one of the cheapest asian holiday destinations with decent infrastucture

Its not the tourists complaining on this forum

• Like 1

I get around the island a reasonable amount, not everywhere so I couldn't profess to absolute up to date knowledge. However, what I see are ever increasing numbers of large tour buses getting their clients to a variety of what I can only describe as ............crap.

I think the cost of Tuk Tuk and Taxis is the least of your worries, Drivers on drugs is the bigger issue here. 75 tour buses stopped on Patong hill road and drivers drug tested, 16 drivers tested positive.

• Like 2

I get around the island a reasonable amount, not everywhere so I couldn't profess to absolute up to date knowledge. However, what I see are ever increasing numbers of large tour buses getting their clients to a variety of what I can only describe as ............crap.

Nearly exclusively Chinese and Russian tourists (the pre-paid package tours people are complaining about)..

• Like 1

Not a Phuket exclusively phenomena. For a very long time, a low budget Bangkok - Tokyo flight has been cheaper than the taxi fare from Tokyo Airport to the downtown.

True if you're talking about Narita and not Haneda. But Narita is twice the distance and Japan is not a developing country. Not to mention there are several other low cost options. Multiple trains and shuttles for a fraction of the cost of a taxi. The only people that take a taxi from Narita to Tokyo are either rich or ignorant of all the low cost options which can also be faster than a taxi.

• Like 1

Well I leave late so I am going to spend the day on baht buses from Rawai and see how I do. I reckon I can do it for under 150b. The question is how long it will take.

Edited by NomadJoe

Well I leave late so I am going to spend the day on baht buses from Rawai and see how I do. I reckon I can do it for under 150b. The question is how long it will take.

Take a new thick book!

I am only half way through the latest Game of Thrones so I should be OK.

Not sure yet how to get from the phuket town bus station to the airport bus since the new inter-provincial bus station opened.

When I was doing buying trips to Bangkok we could hire a taxi for the wjole day for 1000 baht then just pay any extra petrol costs, that was from 8am to 8pm. Thes buggers are just ripping people off and making a killing, no wonder they dont want set bus runs to and from the airport.

tourists keep coming and always will a 1000 baht taxi fare to the airport wont stop them

Most would have their airport transfers included in thier holiday package

Phuket is still one of the cheapest asian holiday destinations with decent infrastucture

Its not the tourists complaining on this forum

Its not the current tourists complaining, its the past ones that Phuket has lost forever.

I went to phuket a couple of weeks ago and decided to just rent a motorcycle from the airport area and ride down seeing as a taxi fare would be the same as renting a bike for 4 days. However, information on this site that said there are motorbikes for hire outside of the airport are wrong. There weren't any. There was one car rental company that hired out bikes but they didn't have any. Luckily I met a really nice guy (Yoggie) who drove me into the little town there to find a good bike. Made for a good long weekend having the freedom to get around and explore.

BTW, riding in Phuket is not for a beginner... I've been riding in Thailand for two years and I've never experienced so many dangerous and inconsiderate drivers on roads that are a little tricky at times. Drive safe.

Airplane carries more PAX.... and an Airline Company makes money on some routes and not alot on others. Taxis/vans carry less. In Baltimore, it is 100 USD from the airport to my brothers home.

I am just saying....cannot compare the two...

I do believe they make a darn good income...

When we go to Phuket I always rent a car at the airport from Nine Car Rent. Check website and phone them or email first. A Honda Jazz is 900 Baht a day. Why would you want to use a Taxi or tuk tuk ? Never had a problem with driving on the island Well, only the idiots who like to overtake in silly places. Just drive carefully and dont take the car out at night to Patong or if you are going to drink. Insurance will be invalid in an accident if you are drunk. We stay in Kata and there is plenty to do at night there so dont need transport.

• Like 2

I think the cost of Tuk Tuk and Taxis is the least of your worries, Drivers on drugs is the bigger issue here. 75 tour buses stopped on Patong hill road and drivers drug tested, 16 drivers tested positive.

Are you forgeting that there are no taxis, using their meter, for hire in the tourist areas and the tuk-tuks are 200 baht minimum journey?

That puts a lot of drunk tourists, expats and locals on the road driving/riding, especially along the coast road, due to the ridiculous transport situation here.

The chances of getting hit by a drunk in a car, or on a bike, are a lot higher that being hit by a tourist bus, with the driver on ya ba to stay awake. That makes the cost of tuk-tuks very much part of "your worries" here.

geeezz ... I'm glad I never ended up living in Phuket wai2.gif