Taxi fare to Phuket airport costs more than airfare to Bangkok.

NomadJoe

NKM stopp whinging and whining about the cost of transport here, You live in Patong

and can walk to bars and restaurants, you can ride your bike and have a good time

without being DUI if you are not a alcoholic

Do you come from a third world eastern european country where they use horse and

carts or walk, taxis are more expensive in all developed countries than here

They only time you will nead a Tuk Tuk or taxi is when you are going to the airport

!000 baht is not expensive for a 50klm trip, its very cheap as they usually return empty

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NKM stopp whinging and whining about the cost of transport here, You live in Patong

and can walk to bars and restaurants, you can ride your bike and have a good time

Do you come from a third world eastern european country where they use horse and

They only time you will nead a Tuk Tuk or taxi is when you are going to the airport

!000 baht is not expensive for a 50klm trip, its very cheap as they usually return empty

"!000 baht is not expensive for a 50klm trip" - I suppose that makes 200 baht to go 1 km expensive then. cheesy.gif

• Like 1

"!000 baht is not expensive for a 50klm trip" - I suppose that makes 200 baht to go 1 km expensive then. cheesy.gif

You could always walk if you have legs and are'nt lazy whistling.gif

tourists keep coming and always will a 1000 baht taxi fare to the airport wont stop them

Most would have their airport transfers included in thier holiday package

Phuket is still one of the cheapest asian holiday destinations with decent infrastucture

Its not the tourists complaining on this forum

"

Phuket is still one of the cheapest asian holiday destinations with decent infrastucture"

One of the cheapest? probably..

Decent infrastructure?.probably not..

Hmmm ..how about posting a short list of this decent infrastructure [it would be a very, very shortlist IMO]

Bump....Ned,how about this point you made re; decent infrastucture"

You must be able to name one/some seeing as you made the comment...sad.png

tourists keep coming and always will a 1000 baht taxi fare to the airport wont stop them

Phuket is still one of the cheapest asian holiday destinations with decent infrastucture

"

Phuket is still one of the cheapest asian holiday destinations with decent infrastucture"

Hmmm ..how about posting a short list of this decent infrastructure [it would be a very, very shortlist IMO]

Hospitals, theatres, sports facilitys, power and water most of the time, international airport is that enough for you

"

Hospitals, theatres, sports facilitys, power and water most of the time, international airport is that enough for you

Decent was the keyword....not basic/struggling...

Edited by andreandre

Marinas, Beachclubs, Fiber optic internet, Shopping malls, Airpark, Deep sea port, Bowling alleys, Golf courses, Football stadiums, International hotels, International schools......

Well done..but to me those are basic facilities...infrastructure IMO is more about how a place works for its inhabitants...here from wiki

".– highways, streets, roads, and bridges; mass transit; airports and airways; water supply and water resources; wastewater management; solid-waste treatment and disposal; electric power generation and transmission; telecommunications; and hazardous waste management – and the combined system these modal elements comprise. A comprehension of infrastructure spans not only these public works facilities, but also the operating procedures, management practices, and development policies that interact together with societal demand and the physical world to facilitate the transport of people and goods, provision of water for drinking and a variety of other uses, safe disposal of society's waste products, provision of energy where it is needed, and transmission of information within and between communities.

On this clarified criteria of "'infrastructure" [which IMO is much more crucial, rather than just facilities] i believe that Phuket fails miserably in most points...Yes?

How many threads, this year, will be about the Tuk tuk/taxi/transport issue??

I say an easy 35.

They don't start of about tuk tuks mate and i estimate at least 95% of the regular posters

never use them or only on rare accasions, so who cares what they cost

they are only expensive if you have little money and are on a strict budget IMO

Just another sign of a fabulously corrupt and inefficient central and local government. It they were not in on this, then they would regulate it. Exactly the same in Samui. Thousands of complaints over the years, and not one thing has been done to regulate this industry. For all the apologists, that same 45 km. ride costs under 300 baht in bangkok. In samui Taxi drivers are more powerful than the police. But, that is a bit like saying the cockroaches are more powerful than the lizards.

• Like 2

From the majority of the posts, one would be under the impression that the only people having to use the exorbitantly priced taxi/tuktuks here are tourists. And even they don't all want to spend their entire holiday in their resort/hotel. Remember the tourist complaining not so long ago that their family had had to do exactly this as there was no transport, affordable or otherwise, around their hotel in Bangtao? I'm sure there are many other tourists who'd prefer decent affordable transport in order for them to tour around the island without having to shell out 500 baht or so for just a one way trip.

The only other alternative is to hire a car or bike and we know how things can and do end up on a regular basis on this island of the motorised insane.

On that note, there are those expats who refuse to drive here any more and have the choice of walking everywhere (as one poster pointed out, yeah, try that in this heat for more than a kilometer or so dry.png ) or, leaving the island. Why the hell should they? Simply because a cartel wants to extort as much money out of you, making just one trip per day rather than get off their lazy <deleted> and pick up fares day/night long? They do in Bangkok, why not here?

And lastly, the locals. I've had many Thais complain to me regards the overpriced transport here, but they too are powerless to do anything about it. Hence the family on a bike and multiple deaths here. Rarely reported on English speaking news sites as 'they're only Thais'. 'Bigger' and 'picture' spring to mind, along with 'selfishness' and 'I'm alright Jack'.mad.gif

• Like 1

Cheaper to hire your own self drive car and pick up at the airport.

Whenever I am in Phuket visiting friends who live there full time I always hire a car from the airport. At around 1,000 baht per day it's super value even if you do minimum kms. Just to get from Kathu to Patong or Karon to Rawai etc etc - is impossible without a car. So much more convenient and cheaper in the long run. Driving to beaches or bars away from the tourist hub of Patong is impossible without transport. Drop the car off at the airport. Wonderful.

• Like 2

Cheaper to hire your own self drive car and pick up at the airport.

Whenever I am in Phuket visiting friends who live there full time I always hire a car from the airport. At around 1,000 baht per day it's super value even if you do minimum kms. Just to get from Kathu to Patong or Karon to Rawai etc etc - is impossible without a car. So much more convenient and cheaper in the long run. Driving to beaches or bars away from the tourist hub of Patong is impossible without transport. Drop the car off at the airport. Wonderful.

Hiring a car has become more popular in recent times, however, parking remains the problem, especially on the Beach Roads where the tuk-tuks take up all the public parking.

There is an airport -Patong bus ( for now)

Once ur in Patong rent a motorcycle ( but not from the beach road) 150-200 baht/day

If we had baht bus's like Pattaya and no jet ski's most of the hassles for tourist would end

No disrespect, but baht buses are not the answer; I've lived in Pattaya for 20+ years and ever since I bought my first car here they're my enemy. It's a good idea in theory but there are waaaayy too many of them. Last count I heard was around 700-900. Basically, since they're run by certain men in brown uniforms they have total immunity if they do anything wrong....and believe me they do a lot wrong. If you hit one because he's suddenly stopped in the middle of the road to pick up a farang, it's going to be your fault, not his for driving like an idiot. I agree with the jet ski comment though, same scamming problem here in Pattaya.

And rightly so. It's your responsibility not to follow so close that you cannot stop in time no matter what.

Point taken........hope you never hit one and you think you're right, good luck trying to sort it out with him and his "friends".

There is an airport -Patong bus ( for now)

Once ur in Patong rent a motorcycle ( but not from the beach road) 150-200 baht/day

If we had baht bus's like Pattaya and no jet ski's most of the hassles for tourist would end

No disrespect, but baht buses are not the answer; I've lived in Pattaya for 20+ years and ever since I bought my first car here they're my enemy. It's a good idea in theory but there are waaaayy too many of them. Last count I heard was around 700-900. Basically, since they're run by certain men in brown uniforms they have total immunity if they do anything wrong....and believe me they do a lot wrong. If you hit one because he's suddenly stopped in the middle of the road to pick up a farang, it's going to be your fault, not his for driving like an idiot. I agree with the jet ski comment though, same scamming problem here in Pattaya.

And rightly so. It's your responsibility not to follow so close that you cannot stop in time no matter what.

Point taken........hope you never hit one and you think you're right, good luck trying to sort it out with him and his "friends".

I'm not going to say it can't happen to me, but one of the reasons I have not had and accident with another car or bike in 13 years of driving and riding in Thailand is because i don't follow closely. We all know Thai drivers will stop for no reason. It shouldn't ever come as a surprise.

Isn't it absurd that you can't pay an Air Asia ticket without paying a fee to pay? There is no free channel to pay.

You are charged to pay and that's a rip off. Totally unacceptable in Europe and forbidden by law. Hope that time will come here too. Shame on you Air Asia!

Air Asia is always a great bargain, and I, their biggest fan.

600 baht is what I pay, usually, bottom line....Udon to Bkk

Thank you very much.

...you guys got to remember...airlines are a business and must make money

I consider 600 more than fair....no matter how many fees are involved.

The advertised price was about 500.... In a restaurant, you will also have VAT and service charges hidden. No biggy.

dont look a gift horse in the mouth

I need to go to the airport, from near central festival tonight at around 3am. Anyone have a number for a reliable driver? At that time of night the guys sitting out the front always seem drunk...

Edited by Paangjang