A place to settle in Thailand - Khon Kaen, Hua Hin, outskirts of BKK, Ban Phe

vadimbz

The title pretty much self-explanatory. I am choosing a place to live:

Khon Kaen: That's where I am now, it's quiet, cheap, convenient, and has all the entertainment I need (live music and movies). It's tempting to stop here, but I'd like to explore other options. Besides, I've recently realized that I want to live near the sea.

Hua Hin: Haven't been there, but I've heard that it's quite urban, and not nearly as filthy as Pattaya, Patong and other tourist traps, looks charming on pics. My concern is that someday — may be in 10 or 20 years it can get occupied by some new Russians (Indians?), and I'll become a stranger in my own home, one of those grumpy old hairless blokes that occupy Pattaya bars during happy hours.

Outskirts of BKK: E.g. Min Buri. Not much to say here, city is calling.

Shore villages in Rayong, Chonburi, ~150 km from BKK: such as Ban Phe, I have almost no knowledge about the area, but beaches look clean, and house prices seem to be even lower than in Khon Kaen. Are there tescos, centrals, seafood restaraunts, bars, etc.? Is there a catch?

What I'm looking for are the first hand accounts of people who have spent years or at least months in those places. What whould you like to tell a guy who is considering your area? Would you choose different are now, when you know it all?

Edited by vadimbz

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, never buy, only rent.

Second of all, find to ask for advice but really only you know what you'd like.

Why not travel around for a while, find a cheap room in each place and check it out for a month or two see how you like it?

Once you think you've exhausted the most likely possibilities, make your choice.

Or you may just find you love the first place you try and settle down. Problem solved.

All the sensible stuff, I plan to check all of those places, but I still want to get some first-hand opinions. I plan to buy eventually, but it's not the subject of this thread. Yes, I am aware of the risks.

Edited by vadimbz

Ranong, if you can take rain

by the sea

not expensive

some nature around

laidback

not too big/small

5-6 hours by bus to Phuket Town

maybe 2 hours across the mountains to Chumpon

20 ? minutes by boat to Burma

has airport,

on and off there are bkk-ranong-hkt flights

not heaps of nightlife, but some,

what I really like about Ranong nightlife is that there is no segregation,

thais pama and other foreigners use the same bars and restaurants and karaoke joints

Ranong, if you can take rain

by the sea

not expensive

some nature around

laidback

not too big/small

5-6 hours by bus to Phuket Town

maybe 2 hours across the mountains to Chumpon

20 ? minutes by boat to Burma

has airport,

on and off there are bkk-ranong-hkt flights

not heaps of nightlife, but some,

what I really like about Ranong nightlife is that there is no segregation,

thais pama and other foreigners use the same bars and restaurants and karaoke joints

What district? Only one property for sale on ddproperty =)

http://goo.gl/A0ypAe

Edited by vadimbz

I have lived in Hua Hin before, left last October had been there 2 years. Its fine, if you have some friends, it can be ok... 2 drinking areas and both pretty bad, you will see the same people every night.

beach is ok...

its a jack of all trades and a master of none - close to bkk, plenty of eating options, but after 2 years, i still dont have a favourite place to eat, all pretty average.

you can get some cheap accommodation, I was paying 17,000b for a 3 bed, 3 bath with small private pool - but about 15 minutes from town.

Hua Hin is a quite place and gets old quickly.

I live in Rayong now - industrial place, lots of people have jobs here, beach is actually better than Hua Hin but I have only been here a few months and i'll be on the move again soon - I prefer Hua hin - but that was just because I knew a few people.... eating options are even less here.

I have been in thailand 4 years and enjoyed my first year the most... kind of like getting a new gf or wife I expect.

• Like 1

re Hua Hin,

further south in the same province, Prachuap Khiri Khan (a. muang)

by the sea, laidback, good and inexpensive seafood, beaches OK

Horrible place, full of Russians, Chinese, Indians, incredibly expensive.

Well it will become all those things if you let the secret out sad.png

• Like 2

Why not travel around for a while, find a cheap room in each place and check it out for a month or two see how you like it?

Once you think you've exhausted the most likely possibilities, make your choice.

Or you may just find you love the first place you try and settle down. Problem solved.

Do as Wym says never buy only rent but be aware when you rent and spend thousands getting the home as you want it it is 99% certain that the owner will come along with two options

1. Increase your rent because you chose to make it a home you wanted to live in .

2. kick you out hike up the rent and rent to another fool

I rented for the first 4 years after that I woke up,and purchased a property now I can do what I want with it without the fear of the landlord chasing me for more money ! Up to you what you do do not listen to either Wym or myself make up your own mind after all it is not our money but yours by the way Koh Samui and Koh Phangan are two great places to live but be aware they are the two most expensive parts of Thailand

Do as Wym says never buy only rent but be aware when you rent and spend thousands getting the home as you want it it is 99% certain that the owner will come along with two options

1. Increase your rent because you chose to make it a home you wanted to live in .

2. kick you out hike up the rent and rent to another fool

I rented for the first 4 years after that I woke up,and purchased a property now I can do what I want with it without the fear of the landlord chasing me for more money ! Up to you what you do do not listen to either Wym or myself make up your own mind after all it is not our money but yours by the way Koh Samui and Koh Phangan are two great places to live but be aware they are the two most expensive parts of Thailand

Sadly, I cannot buy, being a farang, and don't have that sort of cash anyway.

I keep spending money on the rented house I'm in, but it's falling apart.

Any suggestions for rentals, condos in the Hua Hin region? I miss living near the sea.

I also wanted someplace near the sea. But I had some other set criteria that needed to be fulfilled.

Near the sea with swimable waters. Good food/restaurants of both Thai, Western, and Asian variety.

Relatively close to some good hospitals. Country side environment with some rural roads and generally

low volumn traffic. Easy access to airport, public transportation, shopping and a city environment when

desired. Affordble all round living.

After working and traveling in Thailand for several stints, and seeing the better part of the country,

Ban Chang, Rayong Provance is where I ended up settling.

Background: 62 years old Westerner. Living in Ban Chang, Rayong, Thailand permentaly since retirement

in January 2009. Dual citizen (Thai/Western) spouse. Good health. Enjoying

good food, an occasional adult beverage, swimming, sports (golf, swimming, bicycling, walking, tennis),

reading, occassional interaction and intellegable discussion with Westerners, and going out and about

once in a while to see the sights although I've pretty much seen what I have wanted to see by now.

Ban Chang has easy access to Pattaya and Rayong cites and all the activities that they have to offer

when desired. 40 min to Pattaya and 30 min to Rayong max. The traffic in getting to those locations is

low until you get there. There are major department stores, entertainment complexes, movie theaters

and almost any kind of restaurant one is looking for in these nearby cities, Ban Chang has 2 small hospitals

with many capable clinics. The Thai Govt Queen Suriquit Hospital is in Sattahip about 10 min away and there are

the Bangkok-Pattaya and Bangkok-Rayong hospitals respectfully in Pattaya and Rayong. Ban Chang is

exactly 1 hour and 30 min to the Savernabum Airport. Phala and several other beaches are nearby. Phala

Beach is 5 min motorcycle ride from my house. Ban Chang is near (5-7 min) the Royal Thai Navy Port of

Sattahip so the infrastructure is well supported and U-Tapao Airport is nearby. The Expat community is generally nice

and there are not too many of us. There are occasions to get together with other expats when desired.

There is a rather large TESCO-LOTUS in Ban Chang and another in Sattahip and Rayong as well as a Big C

in Rayong. There are many golf courses nearby, there is ocean fishing, the traffic is very low volumn, the roads

for bicycling or motor cycling are many.

I'll leave it at that and answer any specific questions you ave if directed my way. Cheers and good luck.

• Like 1

I've been in Khon Kaen for 10 years so obviously like it but not for the entertainment like you.

Entertainment is just one of my reasons, but what are yours?

My wife had business here when we moved. At the time it was 'baan nok' and I wa just happy to see the stars at night for the first time in many years of living in Bangkok. It's the right size of city for me now - I can till swin in a canal with ducks near my house and look across rice fields although I stay only 5 km from the centre of the city. I have 30Mbs Fibre optic internet, good shops nearby, good schools for my kids etc.

Jark chuay song baht yoo (I'll throw in my two baht). Lived in the Kingdom full time for ~15 years, most of it in BKK, but also several years in Ubon Ratchathani (A.Muang and Nam Yuen) and shorter stints (all at least six to 18 months) in Nonthaburi (Pakkred), Thanyaburi (Klong jet), Bangna (Prawet), Pattaya (Banglamung actually), and Lamphun (Pasang). If it were me I'd stay put. KK always seemed so cosmopolitan when we came down from the farm and IMHO the beaches in Thailand generally suck. Give me a crap Caribbean beach or even Shek O or Big Wave Bay Beaches in Hong Kong over the popular cesspits on the Gulf of Thailand any day of the week. Upcountry is also, as several have remarked before me, rather less infested with exotic vermin than the beaches. And although Minburi, Thanyaburi, Nakhon Nowhere all have their (extremely limited) charms, they are more than outweighed by their hassles. Just my perhaps somewhat jaded opinions, and many will disagree with some or all of them.

Edited by BanTamo
  • Like 1

Sadly, I cannot buy, being a farang, and don't have that sort of cash anyway.

I keep spending money on the rented house I'm in, but it's falling apart.

Any suggestions for rentals, condos in the Hua Hin region? I miss living near the sea.

Try ddproperty.com for longterm rent, and airbnb.com for shortterm.

• Like 1

Sounds like an oxymoron. Come to Thailand to settle and worried about Chinese and Indians.

Try Australia

re Hua Hin,

re Hua Hin,

Edited by Brickbat

Cha Am is a nice beach town, only 20 minutes from Hua Hin, and 2 hours from Bangkok, small expat community, cheap rentals by the beach, very...very convenient in every way.....Hua Hin is very expensive and looks like South California...and always very busy.

Cha Am is deserted during working days. Weekends and Holidays a lot of Thai families and students bicycling around. Very large beach. Good fish and night markets with Expats spots around it.

For few days cheap stay look at the Cha Am Seaside Hotel owned by Peter, a German nice guy married with a nice lady...About 500THB/night. Nice location and good advice. If you call before arrival and you are alone, without a car, Peter wife's may will get you at the train or bus station, 10 blocks away..or get a ride on a motorbike. For longer term rental, look at the furnished studios on the Highrise CondoHotel just blocks away from the Cha Am Seaside Hotel and by the beach, about 7000THB/month + 1000 utilities, with a nice pool and parking.

You may find nice two stories townhouses for rent steps from the beach for about the same price or less around the hotel and condo areas. More info?... send me a message. Have fun! Prachuap Kiri Khan is about 1 1/2 hour away. A very calm beach town, but nice too. I know some nice people there.

Edited by umbanda
  • Like 1

I also wanted someplace near the sea. But I had some other set criteria that needed to be fulfilled.

Near the sea with swimable waters. Good food/restaurants of both Thai, Western, and Asian variety.

Relatively close to some good hospitals. Country side environment with some rural roads and generally

low volumn traffic. Easy access to airport, public transportation, shopping and a city environment when

desired. Affordble all round living.

After working and traveling in Thailand for several stints, and seeing the better part of the country,

Ban Chang, Rayong Provance is where I ended up settling.

Background: 62 years old Westerner. Living in Ban Chang, Rayong, Thailand permentaly since retirement

in January 2009. Dual citizen (Thai/Western) spouse. Good health. Enjoying

good food, an occasional adult beverage, swimming, sports (golf, swimming, bicycling, walking, tennis),

reading, occassional interaction and intellegable discussion with Westerners, and going out and about

once in a while to see the sights although I've pretty much seen what I have wanted to see by now.

Ban Chang has easy access to Pattaya and Rayong cites and all the activities that they have to offer

when desired. 40 min to Pattaya and 30 min to Rayong max. The traffic in getting to those locations is

low until you get there. There are major department stores, entertainment complexes, movie theaters

and almost any kind of restaurant one is looking for in these nearby cities, Ban Chang has 2 small hospitals

with many capable clinics. The Thai Govt Queen Suriquit Hospital is in Sattahip about 10 min away and there are

the Bangkok-Pattaya and Bangkok-Rayong hospitals respectfully in Pattaya and Rayong. Ban Chang is

exactly 1 hour and 30 min to the Savernabum Airport. Phala and several other beaches are nearby. Phala

Beach is 5 min motorcycle ride from my house. Ban Chang is near (5-7 min) the Royal Thai Navy Port of

Sattahip so the infrastructure is well supported and U-Tapao Airport is nearby. The Expat community is generally nice

and there are not too many of us. There are occasions to get together with other expats when desired.

There is a rather large TESCO-LOTUS in Ban Chang and another in Sattahip and Rayong as well as a Big C

in Rayong. There are many golf courses nearby, there is ocean fishing, the traffic is very low volumn, the roads

for bicycling or motor cycling are many.

I'll leave it at that and answer any specific questions you ave if directed my way. Cheers and good luck.

Now that's an extensive account. Thank you, definitely worth checking out.

What can you tell about Ban Zhang area?

Hi Vadimbz

Out of the places you mentioned I myself would pick Khon Kaen and if you need to spend some times at a beach take a Holliday to Khon Chang or plenty other seaside places. I live in Khon Kaen and go to Pattaya about every 2 months with my wife. Hui Hin will most defiantly get the Russians and others settling there in the future. Go for a Holliday to Ko Chang you will love it, from October-March.