Don't return Uighurs to China, US urges

Lite Beer

What is your point? That people shouldn't have their claims for asylum considered on the off chance that they might commit welfare fraud?

Give me a break.

Read again and watch the video. I said they have the right to have their claim heard. I still say that 99.99% of the "refugees" are the ones that are better off and are able to pay the smugglers. The few are "hand picked" by agencies and flown to Europe or elsewhere. How about the others who can't pay? Will you go and take care of them? What if these in question are the terrorists that have killed people in China? Some people see the world through rose tinted glasses.

Ah, so hear comes the truth. They are potential terrorists..I guess you need to read up on what is going on in western china.

As for my view of the world, perhaps better viewed through rose tinted glasses that through a veil of ignorance...

I guess you are typing this from Thailand as well? Just tell me, how well are you contributing and integrating here? Speak the language well now do we? Paid any income tax, or are you just free riding here? Nice to have a passport of a country where you can just 'turn up' isn't it?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is Thailand going to do with them? If the U.S is so concerned then send a plane over to pick them up and take to the U.S to live. If they are not prepared to do that then they should keep their noses out of it and let Thailand decide what to do.

Really? Complicate and delay assistance? You are so naive that you believe that the USA doesn't do more than its part in refugee assistance and admissions? My take on your comment is that you could not care less about the people in harms way- Just in posting inane criticisms.

What is your point? That people shouldn't have their claims for asylum considered on the off chance that they might commit welfare fraud?

Give me a break.

Read again and watch the video. I said they have the right to have their claim heard. I still say that 99.99% of the "refugees" are the ones that are better off and are able to pay the smugglers. The few are "hand picked" by agencies and flown to Europe or elsewhere. How about the others who can't pay? Will you go and take care of them? What if these in question are the terrorists that have killed people in China? Some people see the world through rose tinted glasses.

Ah, so hear comes the truth. They are potential terrorists..I guess you need to read up on what is going on in western china.

As for my view of the world, perhaps better viewed through rose tinted glasses that through a veil of ignorance...

I guess you are typing this from Thailand as well? Just tell me, how well are you contributing and integrating here? Speak the language well now do we? Paid any income tax, or are you just free riding here? Nice to have a passport of a country where you can just 'turn up' isn't it?

They might be criminals (terrorists) or refugees. Who's word you're going to believe? I know well what's going on in China and you need to be pretty ignorant if you did not see news about people hacked to death by Uighur's (two recent incidents and plenty more). I know a Uighur couple and had a dinner with them no more than two weeks ago.

I still stand behind my words that 99.99% of the refugees are the ones paying their way out.

My financial situation and language skills has nothing to do with the topic so I leave it out.

My financial situation and language skills has nothing to do with the topic so I leave it out.

Oh, but dear boy, it has everything to do with it.

You bang on about 'welfare cheats', people presumably who take more than they can give....and generally don't bother fitting in.

So before you start throwing stones, how about a bit of background how well you hold yourself to the same standard you expect of others?

Oh, but dear boy, it has everything to do with it.

You bang on about 'welfare cheats', people presumably who take more than they can give....and generally don't bother fitting in.

So before you start throwing stones, how about a bit of background how well you hold yourself to the same standard you expect of others?

This is definetly off topic. I stand by this that my financial situation and language skills have absolutely nothing to do with these Uighur's who claim to be refugees and how they should be treated and who should take care of them.

I am not throwing stones at real refugees so do not try twist my words.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Yes, they have a right to have their claim to be heard. How many rich refugees you have encountered? I also oppose 100% of these people (who pay the smugglers) to come live off taxpayers money in other countries. You have not heard of welfare fraud by asylum-seekers?

Watch this:

Interesting video - makes sense, and looks like birth control would be the best way to help them in their own countries for starters.

These are not invited immigrants though, they are (apparently) more akin to asylum seekers. As with all Asylum seekers, they should be vetted and given the protection of the nearest state signed up to the convention on asylum seekers (don't know if Thailand is by the way). If they are persecuted at home, then they cannot be returned morally - if some are criminals/terrorist, then China can put in for extradition in the normal manor and follow the rules therein (like no death sentence).

Thailand would probably have been happier not to have discovered them (closing down the known traffic "farms" would help - same places coming up time and again) - they presumably have the option to return them to the last port of entry and leave it in their hands (Burma/Laos/Cambodia??? anyone know how they got to southern Thailand?) - the same way as the UK do sometimes when the French authorities stick them all on the Eurotunnel train, instead of dealing with them themselves or return them to Germany/Spain where they entered. With the USA bringing on the spotlight, and Thailand's China link being tenuous and somewhat needed right now (with rice G2G claims and blame on Chinese tablet manufacturers, claims thriving Chinese companies have gone bust etc), they are caught between a rock and a hard place. Send them back to China and be seen as a puppet state that ignores its obligations; send them to Turkey/Malaysia/anywhere and upset China (we suppose - they have been quiet so far AFAIK in public at least); keep them and upset everyone and start a precedent.

As long as China stay quiet publically, there can probably be a deal done; if they make a statement that they want them back (for whatever reason) then that is lost as China will not want to lose face on the international stage. Deals are not difficult - send mothers with children and their children (seems to be most or all of them by the pictures - all the kids seem to be boys too incidentally) and return any other with outstanding legal charges - something of that ilk. Send the rest on with the women and kids.

Why don't the US take them then ?

Turkey has indicated a willingness to take these Turkic speaking refugees. Makes more sense than sending them to English speaking country.

But I doubt any type of pressure on Thailand from Turkey would be sufficient to over ride the pressure from China to send them back, so it makes absolute sense that the US is exerting pressure. I'm proud to hear it.

And make no mistake. Regardless of what we read about or don't read about, many millions of US dollars will be spent in an attempt to get these refugees relocated where they won't be subject to punitive measures.

The real question is, where are all the other countries that hold themselves out as beacons of democracy and all that's good in the world?

I don't see too many Muslim Countries putting their hands up...!!!

• Like 2

Turkey is the logical choice for resettlement of these Turkic people.

Uighurs are not "Turkic" people. they speak a language linguists put in the "Turkic" language family and which is as far apart from "Turkish" as Irish Gaelic is from Thai.

What is Thailand going to do with them? If the U.S is so concerned then send a plane over to pick them up and take to the U.S to live. If they are not prepared to do that then they should keep their noses out of it and let Thailand decide what to do.

Really? Complicate and delay assistance? You are so naive that you believe that the USA doesn't do more than its part in refugee assistance and admissions? My take on your comment is that you could not care less about the people in harms way- Just in posting inane criticisms.

My comment is not about the people but about America sticking it's nose in, instead of trying to dictate to Thailand on what to do with these people America should take them or butt out all together and let Thailand sort it out.

The USA isn't telling Thailand to keep them here, they are just suggesting to not send them back to a country where they are discriminated against. Surely you must have some sort of compassion for other human beings. Maybe not.

Oh please the US is one of the most hypocritical nations on the planet. Actually i believe it is the most. Damn country is guilty of sabotaging so many countries. Take the war in Iraq. False reasons made up to invade the country and they have the gall to announce that they are somehow morally helping iraq. Points the finger at other countries for human rights and all sorts of bs yet has cia in other countries stirring up sh!t helping israelis kill palenstinians etc. Hey why not tell israel not to invade palestine. Maybe china should tell the us not to do that.

The US actually doesn't care about the welfare of those ppl after all they don't care about their own citizens. They just want to make a country look bad.

Uighurs are not "Turkic" people. they speak a language linguists put in the "Turkic" language family and which is as far apart from "Turkish" as Irish Gaelic is from Thai.

I'd think you were exaggerating even if you had merely claimed that the Uighur language was as far from Turkish as Irish Gaelic is from Welsh.

Beijing is putting the arm to Thailand to return refugees from a CCP occupied territory, which the CCP calls Xin Jiang (new territory/frontier) and which was occupied by armed military force. Beijing's bullying of Bangkok needs to be countered so Washington is doing the right thing to influence Thailand. Uighur groups abroad are based in the United States, have ongoing relations with the State Department, consistently and usually successfully call on the U.S. to counter Beijing's forced and enforced occupation of the Uighur homeland.

It is significant that Turkey has taken initiative to open itself to these particular refugees because PM Erdogan had in the past allowed himself to be used by the CCP to visit the Uighur capital Urumqi with the CCP prime minister to promote Beijing's neocolonialism there, 'and had engaged in actions supportive of Beijing in its enforced occupation over the Uighurs. It's pretty certain Beijing is now privately hollering at Ankara for the offer, especially after the March 1st Kunming train station slaughter on Chinese soil itself, which Beijing is cynically trying to turn into the PRC's 9/11 (3.1).

Thailand is a security treaty ally of the U.S. and Turkey is a Nato ally of Washington while Beijing is the dictatorial home of your regional neighbor from hell, which puts the Thai authorities in the kind of place they just hate to be. The unfortunate group of Uighurs presently in the former LOS need to apply formally for asylum somewhere, probably Turkey (not Malaysia), which Beijing absolutely doesn't want but which Bangkok along with the U.S. would very probably like them to do, and which Turkey has made clear would be welcome.

Thai authorities have legal sovereign jurisdiction over these Uighurs on Thai soil so the Uighurs are at the mercy of Bangkok. I guess these Uighurs are lucky Bangkok hasn't put them on a large raft and cut them loose out to sea.

Beijing is putting the arm to Thailand to return refugees from a CCP occupied territory, which the CCP calls Xin Jiang (new territory/frontier) and which was occupied by armed military force. Beijing's bullying of Bangkok needs to be countered so Washington is doing the right thing to influence Thailand. Uighur groups abroad are based in the United States, have ongoing relations with the State Department, consistently and usually successfully call on the U.S. to counter Beijing's forced and enforced occupation of the Uighur homeland.

It is significant that Turkey has taken initiative to open itself to these particular refugees because PM Erdogan had in the past allowed himself to be used by the CCP to visit the Uighur capital Urumqi with the CCP prime minister to promote Beijing's neocolonialism there, 'and had engaged in actions supportive of Beijing in its enforced occupation over the Uighurs. It's pretty certain Beijing is now privately hollering at Ankara for the offer, especially after the March 1st Kunming train station slaughter on Chinese soil itself, which Beijing is cynically trying to turn into the PRC's 9/11 (3.1).

Thailand is a security treaty ally of the U.S. and Turkey is a Nato ally of Washington while Beijing is the dictatorial home of your regional neighbor from hell, which puts the Thai authorities in the kind of place they just hate to be. The unfortunate group of Uighurs presently in the former LOS need to apply formally for asylum somewhere, probably Turkey (not Malaysia), which Beijing absolutely doesn't want but which Bangkok along with the U.S. would very probably like them to do, and which Turkey has made clear would be welcome.

Thai authorities have legal sovereign jurisdiction over these Uighurs on Thai soil so the Uighurs are at the mercy of Bangkok. I guess these Uighurs are lucky Bangkok hasn't put them on a large raft and cut them loose out to sea.

Uighurs can always go to Pakistan, will be safe there.

http://in.reuters.com/article/2014/03/14/pakistan-uighurs-idINL6N0M90AM20140314

Uighurs can always go to Pakistan, will be safe there.

http://in.reuters.com/article/2014/03/14/pakistan-uighurs-idINL6N0M90AM20140314

Reuters writes some more lengthy pieces of informative stuff but I may have missed entirely that Malaysian border police picked up 62 other "Turks" on their side of the border on the same day, Thursday, that Thai Immi Police picked up the group here.

The 62 additional "Turks" collared on the Malaysia side of the border are people who speak a Turkic language and who said they too were headed to Turkey but also won't say where they came from. Malaysia is a bit busy presently with missing PRChinese on a missing Malaysian aircraft, but will also have to find some time to deal with Beijing and Ankara concerning their own find of the 62 "Turks."

The group in Thai custody are now talking after a guy they call "the teacher" arrived in Hat Yai from Ankara on the same plane as Turkish Embassy officials led by the deputy chief of the Turkish embassy in Bangkok. The teacher, Erkin Azizi is a Uighur who relocated to Turkey and was greeted with tears of relief by the leaders of the Thai held group, who are in the Immi detention camp two kilometers from the Hat Yai airport. These people are not terrorists and they are no threat to anyone except to the vengeful dictators in Beijing.

The CCP-PRC Consulate General Office in Songkhla sent its consul general to meet with Police Major General Thatchai Pitaneelaboot, who is chief of Immi for the South. Thai authorities are happy the "Turks" are finally talking to them but themselves aren't saying anything much. Both Thailand and Malaysia need to send the "Turks" to Turkey where they are welcome is the long and the short of it.