Staying at the in laws in Phrae at Songkran - hold me

pinkpanther99

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have done Songkran many times. When I was 22 it was a freakin blast and I was in Chiang Mai. That was 20 years ago and the scene was nice, not so crowded, not so violent, and when you are young or when it is your first Songkran it is fun.

Now I avoid it if at all possible. My wife is Bangkok and dislikes it as much as I do. But sometimes we find ourselves visiting friends who have family upcountry.

In my experience, having seen Songkran around the country over the years... Isaan is probably the best. But Northern Thailand is a close second. Thank god it does not exist in Bkk except the places easy to avoid - khao sarn rd, soi cowboy etc.

For me, the only thing that makes Songkran any fun anymore is if there are a lot of children around. The village children usually hang together and they have so much fun it is infectious. I can survive a half a day, maybe 3/4 of a day if kids are involved. So, my advice is make sure there are kids in the truck or hanging around cause that will keep you entertained. Bring a couple medium sized water guns and give them away. You will be a superstar.

Now let me make this point clear, the inlaws (and extended family) aren't bad people it's just that we have a completely different mindset and I know that it is inevitable that we will make the trip to Big C or Tesco Lotus with about 15 people huddled in the back of the pickup who will seemingly just come along for the ride - I didn't realise supermarkets were such an attraction!

What's there to do up there? Most of the folks who live out in the boonies sit around on straw mats, talk smack about the neighbors, and eat all day. Of course going to the supermarket is a big attraction. It's a break from the routine. :-)

Yep, they don't really do anything. They get up early, eat sticky rice, gossip, have a nap, wake up, eat some more sticky rice, drink Laokhao then sleep.

For Songkran, it's pretty much the same just insert water fights and baby powder where necessary.

• Like 1

Mossie nets for sleeping plus a fan, repellent for ankles feet and arms you can opt out of the driving around looking for

water fights.

Don't buy them lao khao if you buy one bottle they will get you take one glass then ask for more later, just buy lots of beer you can only drink so much of that whereas they seem to be able to drink lao khao until well and truly paralytic

That is true. And the more bottles you buy the more neighbors wander in to join. hahahaha.

But lao khao is cheap, whereas cases of beer can add up.

• Like 1

I actually look forward to Songran up here in ChiangRai. (our house is behind the family one) Lots of relatives come and spend most of their day travelling to see things round the area but one or two nice meals sitting outside just like a bbq in Australia with the kids all sitting round a charcoal burner like the witches in Macbeth making moo yang and us all sitting round and talking. Would not like it all year but once a year is really nice.

• Like 1

For me, the only thing that makes Songkran any fun anymore is if there are a lot of children around. The village children usually hang together and they have so much fun it is infectious. I can survive a half a day, maybe 3/4 of a day if kids are involved. So, my advice is make sure there are kids in the truck or hanging around cause that will keep you entertained. Bring a couple medium sized water guns and give them away. You will be a superstar.

That's also the biggest difference between upcountry and BKK, the kids. One time the wife and I were riding a motorbike down some unpaved backroads and these little kids came out and blocked the road in front of us. They had their water guns drawn and forced us to stop. The kids were so excited. First, because there can only be about 4 or 5 people who come down that road per day and second . . . FARANG!! You know when a kid is so excited that you think they might explode? That's these kids.

But at the same time, so polite, asking first if they could put powder on my face and gently pouring their little bowls of water down my shirt. The whole time, grins ear to ear, and wai'ing.

If that doesn't make your day, check your pulse, you might be dead. :-)

Well said!

• Like 2

That's also the biggest difference between upcountry and BKK, the kids. One time the wife and I were riding a motorbike down some unpaved backroads and these little kids came out and blocked the road in front of us. They had their water guns drawn and forced us to stop. The kids were so excited. First, because there can only be about 4 or 5 people who come down that road per day and second . . . FARANG!! You know when a kid is so excited that you think they might explode? That's these kids.

But at the same time, so polite, asking first if they could put powder on my face and gently pouring their little bowls of water down my shirt. The whole time, grins ear to ear, and wai'ing.

If that doesn't make your day, check your pulse, you might be dead. :-)

Well said!

I'll 2nd that

• Like 2

You could maybe book a nearby hotel, claim you don't want to be a burden. Or fake a cold, tell them you don't want to make them sick. Failing that, a reasonable amount of drugs and alcohol. The cowards way out, for sure. Way I'd go.

Thanks for the responses guys.

And for those asking, of course I know how to use google, and yes, I probably will book into a hotel in town.

Now let me make this point clear, the inlaws (and extended family) aren't bad people it's just that we have a completely different mindset and I know that it is inevitable that we will make the trip to Big C or Tesco Lotus with about 15 people huddled in the back of the pickup who will seemingly just come along for the ride - I didn't realise supermarkets were such an attraction!

Of course I could just say to the Mrs that I'm not going, plain and simple. However, whilst I really don't want to go, I'm trying to think of it from her point of view. Let's say the roles were reversed and she was in the UK at Christmas time, for example. I don't think I'd feel too great if she refused to visit my family during the Christmas period. Naturally, my family wouldn't look at her to pay for things at every given opportunity, but there you go!

And this will only be the 3rd time that her parents will be spending time with our daughter, so really it is only right that we go, to be fair.

Anyway, a successful relationship, no matter what of the world you live in is all about compromises and a bit of give and take, right? I figure now is just a time where I'm going to have to give a little more than usual!

The thing that concerns me more than the lack of facilities, the mozzies, the heat, the part of me being seen as the walking ATM, the upcountry blokes and their Laokhao induced ways...more than all this...the thing that concerns me most is that we are going to have to drive for 8 hrs during a time the road in Thailand are so unbelievably dangerous it actually beggars belief.

Wonderful response and I congratulate you on not responding to the less than civil replies to your original posting.

It seems that you have a good plan. I've driven from Chonburi to Nongkai and the antics of some drivers is indded nerve racking. When I make the trip, I tell myself that I'm in no hurry, I'm not in control of the other drivers or conditions, and that this too will pass. I also try not to hold a monkey, committee meeting in my head about what the visit may entail. So far so good.

Good luck my friend.

• Like 1

Buy the family an aircon on the condition you get to use it yourself until you leave.

Two problems solved. 1. the heat for you. 2. The length of stay - once they see you cooling your heals they will wish you an early journey home.

Actually, one of the most surreal experiences I've ever had was Songkran in a small Issan village.

Early afternoon was regular enough -- main party was at the local store, so apart from touring around to say hi to everyone, and gets strings on our wrist from the village elders, etc... we just hung out at the store with loads of beer, free flowing water, etc. Normal enough.

However, later on in the afternoon a pickup truck with the large-sized Issan speakers came around. Then what seemed like almost everyone in the village (about 300 people) all got together, and started dancing on the street while the pickup truck ever so slowly pushed them around the village streets. I don't know, but just seemed surreal to me. I'm in a small village in Nakhom Nowhere for some reason, every villager is piss drunk and happy as can be, soaked from the water, dancing in the streets while the truck is blaring Issan music and slowly pushing everyone along.

Can't say I want to repeat the experience, but it was definitely an experience.

• Like 2

Piece of cake. If it's first time to meet the family it will be a bit strange for a little while but that's all. Bring booze, the universal ice breaker and wai the oldies.

Has been said but yes, better to be upcountry than in BKK/Pattaya/Phuket/Chiang Mai during Songkran. Will be quite happily camped at our place in Ban Dung not far form where you'll be.

Also been said but yep, grab a room at a pub. At least one with AC, True Vision and serving half decent farang food for when your stomach needs a break.

It's all about attitude, if you want it to be good it will.

sf

Well I am sure the in-laws are "thrilled" to bits to be entertaining a Hi-So Farang! They must be counting the days.

more like checking there list and checking it twice. It's like Christmas to them, looking forward to the trip to Big C!

Piece of cake. If it's first time to meet the family it will be a bit strange for a little while but that's all. Bring booze, the universal ice breaker and wai the oldies.

Has been said but yes, better to be upcountry than in BKK/Pattaya/Phuket/Chiang Mai during Songkran. Will be quite happily camped at our place in Ban Dung not far form where you'll be.

Also been said but yep, grab a room at a pub. At least one with AC, True Vision and serving half decent farang food for when your stomach needs a break.

sf

Not everyone drinks...bring some of those sweetr things for the kids and book into a pub.

Visit and leave the family as you wish. You will be welcome and may spend more time with the family than you think you will. It is allways good to have the hotel though to sleep in,

sf

Not everyone drinks...bring some of those sweetr things for the kids and book into a pub.

Visit and leave the family as you wish. You will be welcome and may spend more time with the family than you think you will. It is allways good to have the hotel though to sleep in,

Good call.

And sometimes they like the drinks sweet! I took a bottle of of single malt I figured I'd share with the old man. All he wanted to drink was the missus' Malibu and Midori.

Why do you need hot water in April for a shower? Take a big icebox and plenty of beers, buy a mosquito net the type you string up around the bed. Mosquito repellant cream for the daytime. No aircon could be tough.

Try this. On your way upcountry, stop at Home Pro and buy an 'on-demand' hot water shower assembly. Stop at 7-11 and pickup a couple of bottles of Johnny Walker. Once there, offer to pay to screen the windows and install screen doors and a 'Western" toilet.

Hot water shower: 5000 baht

Western toilet: 3000 baht

Screens for windows and doors (average sized 'upcountry' home - 10000 baht

Labor for installation: 1500 baht

JW: 1400 baht

Happy upcountry inlaws: Priceless

FYI - My wife and I have a typical Thai home in 'upcountry' Lamphun which we've remodeled over the last three years. The first thing installed was a western toilet and a hot water shower.

We already had screens on the windows, but followed up with steel framed screen doors. You can buy aluminum framed doors at a fraction of the price. Labor to make home modifications is cheap: 350 to 400 baht per person per day. A crew of four could install your toilet, screens, and hot water shower in one day. We don't have air-con and I've never considered it a real problem. Most thai houses are built to stay 'breezy' and we have lots of fans. Outside we a large covered pouch, or we set up tables and chairs under the grove of Lumyai trees in the back yard. If you're out of the direct sun, you can stay comfortable.

Now. As the previous poster said. In April...you don't need a hot water shower. Take a shower in the afternoon and the water coming out of the pipes will be plenty warm. No air-con -- stay wet. You'll stay cool. During Songkran you should have no problem staying wet. No screens this year - buy a mosquito net and a electric bug zapper racket. In April the mossies usually come out in force around 5:30pm until maybe 8pm. Defend yourself with that bug zapper while drinking Johnny Walker...you'll have fun. Sleep under a mosquito net.

Songkran in the villages is just as unique as Songkran in the city. Same-same but different. Loosen up and enjoy the experience! Have fun. biggrin.png

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

I feel sorry for you , as I have been there too.Going to a strange house and not knowing the language or the people .But , it has to be done . You have to show respect to the in laws. Dont let them think all farangs are like you . Just go for your wife as she will be proud to show you off.

kevvy

• Like 1

Why do you need hot water in April for a shower? Take a big icebox and plenty of beers, buy a mosquito net the type you string up around the bed. Mosquito repellant cream for the daytime. No aircon could be tough.

Try this. On your way upcountry, stop at Home Pro and buy an 'on-demand' hot water shower assembly. Stop at 7-11 and pickup a couple of bottles of Johnny Walker. Once there, offer to pay to screen the windows and install screen doors and a 'Western" toilet.

Hot water shower: 5000 baht

Western toilet: 3000 baht

Screens for windows and doors (average sized 'upcountry' home - 10000 baht

Labor for installation: 1500 baht

JW: 1400 baht

Happy upcountry inlaws: Priceless

FYI - My wife and I have a typical Thai home in 'upcountry' Lamphun which we've remodeled over the last three years. The first thing installed was a western toilet and a hot water shower. attachicon.gifThrones.JPG

We already had screens on the windows, but followed up with steel framed screen doors. You can buy aluminum framed doors at a fraction of the price. Labor to make home modifications is cheap: 350 to 400 baht per person per day. A crew of four could install your toilet, screens, and hot water shower in one day. We don't have air-con and I've never considered it a real problem. Most thai houses are built to stay 'breezy' and we have lots of fans. Outside we a large covered pouch, or we set up tables and chairs under the grove of Lumyai trees in the back yard. If you're out of the direct sun, you can stay comfortable.

Now. As the previous poster said. In April...you don't need a hot water shower. Take a shower in the afternoon and the water coming out of the pipes will be plenty warm. No air-con -- stay wet. You'll stay cool. During Songkran you should have no problem staying wet. No screens this year - buy a mosquito net and a electric bug zapper racket. In April the mossies usually come out in force around 5:30pm until maybe 8pm. Defend yourself with that bug zapper while drinking Johnny Walker...you'll have fun. Sleep under a mosquito net.

Songkran in the villages is just as unique as Songkran in the city. Same-same but different. Loosen up and enjoy the experience! Have fun. biggrin.png

...and, do follow-up after Songkran and let us know how things went and your overall impression of your experience! thumbsup.gif

Just bring a good sieve to sift the rainwater you will be offered to drink. Your own cutlery to eat the rats from the bbq, earplugs and a clambu. Then Bob is your uncle.

In Phrae you go to Tesco, buy the biggest watergun availlable and a snorkle .With that you keep everyone out of your neighbourhood, you wear the snorkle while playing songkran because they will use water from the canals. Put a condom around your cellphone and you're ready to go mate. thumbsup.gif

Maybe consider next time to marry a Thai lady of similar education, income and life experience and you'll be spending Songkran in Isaan at a proper house instead of some 3rd world hut.

Next time mate be sure to not hold back how you really feel ...lol