retirement visa and duty free importation of personal belongings

I don't understand why you say "nothing free"

The link you provided says ...

Both Thai and non-Thai residents changing residence into Thailand are eligible to bring used/secondhand household effects into Thailand, in reasonable quantities, free of taxes and duties. It is also required that the imported used/ secondhand household effects have been owned, possessed, and used in the country where the importers resided before returning to Thailand to resume residence.

Can you explain ? this seems to contradict what you are saying

Almasy1939, I don't mean to hijack your thread here but this is a relevant question, I think.

Does anyone have any experience importing items from America under this clause? Any suggestion on an importer that one could use?

Many thanks and thanks again to Almasy1939 for the original question.

Both Thai and non-Thai residents changing residence into Thailand are eligible to bring used/secondhand household effects into Thailand, in reasonable quantities, free of taxes and duties. It is also required that the imported used/ secondhand household effects have been owned, possessed, and used in the country where the importers resided before returning to Thailand to resume residence.

You picked one paragraph out of a full page of info; This makes it very clear that you must have a work permit to qualify.

DocumentS

• An Import Declaration (Customs Form No. 99/1);
  • A passport;
  • Nonresidents are required to submit the following documents:
  • The letter issued by the Immigration Department confirming that an annual temporary stay is granted;
  • A one-year (or more) work permit issued by the Department of Labor;

Almasy1939, I don't mean to hijack your thread here but this is a relevant question, I think.

Does anyone have any experience importing items from America under this clause? Any suggestion on an importer that one could use?

Many thanks and thanks again to Almasy1939 for the original question.

Here are some contacts

asian tigers khun kate [email protected] <[email protected]>;

khun mah jvk movers [email protected] <[email protected]>;

You picked one paragraph out of a full page of info; This makes it very clear that you must have a work permit to qualify.

DocumentS

• A passport;
  • The letter issued by the Immigration Department confirming that an annual temporary stay is granted;

Still, I am inclined to think that the english version of this website isn't authoritative on the subject. I have heard of people importing personal belongings duty free to thailand on a retirement visa. Do you have direct firsthand experience trying it and being denied ?

DocumentS

• A passport;

Still, I am inclined to think that the english version of this website isn't authoritative on the subject. I have heard of people importing personal belongings duty free to thailand on a retirement visa. Do you have direct firsthand experience trying it and being denied ?

YES, I had to pay customs duty for the importation of my household goods into Thailand on my O-A (long stay) visa, is that enough firsthand experience for you ? Anyone who has not had to pay just got lucky, just like some people get lucky and don't have to pay duty for things mailed to them.

Don't plan on paying duty at your own risk but please don't come back here and complain that you were not told

I can assure you that the info is correct. I have never heard of anybody getting duty free unless they had a work permit or were married to a Thai.

This is so true! You can quote and ask the question anyway you want but you will have to pay some duty. My friend got a 20' last November and the tax was around $1700 usd about 4000 total with shipping.

thanks yankee99, that helps. so $1700 for a 20ft container, I can cope with that. I plan to only ship about 500 - 1000 pounds, much less than a 20ft container. mostly books, clothes, rugs and a few computer items. I'll work with my customs broker.

did you bring in any flat panel TVs ? I was hoping to bring two. One of them I bought in thailand when I worked there previously ! maybe I still have the receipt.

I've attached a document from my customs broker, if anyone is looking for one.

Customs Information for Foreigners with a Retirement type Visa.doc

ok thanks for the info. How bad was the duty you had to pay ?

do you live on soi langsuan in bangkok ? I used to live there.

Paid 40,000 THB for no receipt after I was told that it would be 80,000 THB with a receipt. (code for "tea money") At the time the dollar / baht rate was 39

Used to live on Soi Langsuan in Bangkok many years ago

This is Thailand... you have to pay for anything you want to take out of Thai customs... Its the "custom" If you don't pay , your belongings will stay there forever... or just get lost... Who are you going to complain to..? Welcome to Thailand....

Welcome to the Real World...

My undrstanding is around 10 years you could bring in goods if you had a type O or O-A visa and no duties payable

Nowdays unless you have a work permit or a returning Thai, the shipment is taxable

Generally, you need to provide an itemised packing list / invoice with prices

The packing list invoice SHOULD state used personal possession, and if you do get catch for duties it could be prudent to keep the values low

Any customs calculation generally are made from the prices you state on the invoice

My undrstanding is around 10 years you could bring in goods if you had a type O or O-A visa and no duties payable

Nowdays unless you have a work permit or a returning Thai, the shipment is taxable

Generally, you need to provide an itemised packing list / invoice with prices

The packing list invoice SHOULD state used personal possession, and if you do get catch for duties it could be prudent to keep the values low

Any customs calculation generally are made from the prices you state on the invoice

Sorry but customs calculations are based upon whatever the customs agent that is assigned to your shipment says it is......especially since it is not subject to appeal