Had Yai to Penang

Finlaco

Hat Yai town have tour buses to KL and Penang as it only stop at Betturwort main land not crossing only for 250-300 Baht which took 2-3 hours with very nice seating 24 seats but for mini van farang size are not suitable for leg room but the good point may deliver to your hotel. There are pro and con so you have to decide it let every 1-2 hours from Hat Yai, if you took train you just walk to the town if airport you have to took a taxi. Don't believe tout as extra chage in your ticket buy from tour compnay which are plenty there.

Hat Yai town have tour buses to KL and Penang as it only stop at Betturwort main land not crossing only for 250-300 Baht which took 2-3 hours with very nice seating 24 seats but for mini van farang size are not suitable for leg room but the good point may deliver to your hotel. There are pro and con so you have to decide it let every 1-2 hours from Hat Yai, if you took train you just walk to the town if airport you have to took a taxi. Don't believe tout as extra chage in your ticket buy from tour compnay which are plenty there.

Not sure of the cab fare from Butterworth to Bayan Lepas or Georgetown, but I doubt that it would be exorbitant. I guess coming from Oz, anything less than the equivalent of 50 dollars seems like a bargain ;)

I don't do the minivan but you can catch the No. 35 train at Hat Yai (about 06:30) and arrive at Butterworth about 13:30. This is the overnight train from Bangkok to Butterworth. Full fair from Bangkok is about US$40 so I can't imagine the fare from Hat Yai would be very much. At Butterworth, walk over to the Penang ferry (not a long walk) and take the ferry right into Georgetown. Here is a link to ferry information (http://www.travel-penang-malaysia.com/penang-ferry.html). The ferry costs about RM1.20 or $0.40. Way cheaper than any taxi there.

David

• Like 1

Minivan is the way to go, the few extra baht buys a lot of ease. A whole mess of ticket places across from the HY bus terminal.

The entire trip is about 4 hours (enshallah!). Can't recall the cost, been over a year since I've been. 400b?

The first time I made this trip the van went onto the ferry. I must have done the trip a dozen times since and they have always taken the bridge. If you care to you can have him drop you off at the ferry/bus terminal.