Connecting to wifi with Android device

MZurf

I have a tablet that runs on Android 4.4.2. On this device, and on previous Android devices I have had, I sometimes find the process of connecting to wifi very frustrating.

If I want to connect to a network I go to the settings/wifi page and connect to whatever network I want access too. The device clearly states that I'm "connected".

Now, all too often, here is where the "fun" starts. If the network is open, but you have to go via a login page, opening your browser and attempting to load/reload that page does not work. You only get a message saying something like "connection failed" instead of transferring you to the login page.

After several attempts I sometimes get the login page, but without me really understanding how I finally ended up there.

So my question is; is there a "Connecting your Android device to open/open but with log in/password protected networks for Dummies" book out there or is there an app that can help me do this?

Well to begin with, it's not android issue, I have had the same problem with my laptop running Win7 and the same issue prior to that with Win XP.

When connecting to this sort of open networks with login page, it helps to know the pages ip address. If auto redirect fails to send you to a login page, you can go there by typing its address in your Web browser. If you use the page often then just bookmark it.

Sent from a Nuclear Submarine.

• Like 1

It might help if you could provide a lot more detail about these WiFi Access Points? Are these public? Private?

What browser are you using? Maybe try Chrome, which is greatly improved, or Dolphin.

If they are public you may be able to connect in Settings, WiFi, long press on the "Open" network, then open a browser, enter any URL, you'll get re-directed to a log in page.

If they are private, and secured (WEP/WPA), then simply long-press on the desired AP and configure it by entering the password, and "Connect".

< You can jot down the network name and password, for private networks, by ticking "Show password". > For the first step I might delete all Saved Wi-Fi Access Points, and turn off the device, re-start the device. Then start to re-build your available private and public APs.

Edited by lomatopo

It might help if you could provide a lot more detail about these WiFi Access Points? Are these public? Private?

What browser are you using? Maybe try Chrome, which is greatly improved, or Dolphin.

If they are public you may be able to connect in Settings, WiFi, long press on the "Open" network, then open a browser, enter any URL, you'll get re-directed to a log in page.

If they are private, and secured (WEP/WPA), then simply long-press on the desired AP and configure it by entering the password, and "Connect".

< You can jot down the network name and password, for private networks, by ticking "Show password". > For the first step I might delete all Saved Wi-Fi Access Points, and turn off the device, re-start the device. Then start to re-build your available private and public APs.

Thanks for the tips so far. I'm talking about public access points - open and password protected.

BTW, read some reviews for Wifi Fixer and the one that turned me off was this one:

Decent It didn't work for me, but I can see it would fix some other common problems. My big gripe is that there is no way to exit and shut it down. I had to manually stop the process. I don't want it always running in the background.

I'm talking about public access points - open and password protected.

Can you give an example? True WiFi? 3BB?

What is the brand of your device? Did your device ever work acceptably for you? I guess you could have some sort of issue with the firmware/baseband? Or an issue with conflicting IP addresses?

When you connect to one of these public APs does it show as "connected" in Settings, Wi-Fi? What does it say under "About device", Status? Are you seeing an IP address? What happens if you re-start the device? Can you get to a browser log-in screen? Do you have a default home page in your browser?

It should be fairly simple and straight-forward, without the need for futzing around with any app.

Maybe it is an issue with your browser, and it's history/cache? Maybe cleanse it? Or use a different browser.

And clean up < delete > all the public APs in your "Settings",

And re-start the device.

Edited by lomatopo

I'm talking about public access points - open and password protected.

Can you give an example? True WiFi? 3BB?

What is the brand of your device? Did your device ever work acceptably for you? I guess you could have some sort of issue with the firmware/baseband? Or an issue with conflicting IP addresses?

When you connect to one of these public APs does it show as "connected" in Settings, Wi-Fi? What does it say under "About device", Status? Are you seeing an IP address? What happens if you re-start the device? Can you get to a browser log-in screen? Do you have a default home page in your browser?

It should be fairly simple and straight-forward, without the need for futzing around with any app.

Maybe it is an issue with your browser, and it's history/cache? Maybe cleanse it? Or use a different browser.

And clean up < delete > all the public APs in your "Settings",

And re-start the device.

I have a Samsung S4 but I had the same issue with my previous Samsung phone. This is an issue that bugs me the world over and not only in Thailand. It mostly happens in airport lounges and I'm beginning to suspect that it might have something to do with the amount of people logged on/trying to log on (?) although this happens also when the device clearly states "Connected".

I use both Chrome and Opera and it's the same issue with both browsers. I will try to clear the history and see what happens but when I use my home network and other networks I frequently connect to this is not an issue. so doubt that this is the root cause.

Edited by MZurf

I have a Samsung S4 but I had the same issue with my previous Samsung phone. This is an issue that bugs me the world over and not only in Thailand. It mostly happens in airport lounges and I'm beginning to suspect that it might have something to do with the amount of people logged on/trying to log on (?) although this happens also when the device clearly states "Connected".

I use both Chrome and Opera and it's the same issue with both browsers. I will try to clear the history and see what happens but when I use my home network and other networks I frequently connect to this is not an issue. so doubt that this is the root cause.

"Connected" is only one of many of the steps before gaining Internet access. Connected usually means that the service radios are synced and the MAC addresses and IP, Subnet mask, Gateway and DNS (DHCP) have been established. It doesn't mean your equipment is authorized to be routed to the Internet.

Once you have a successfully log in on the html-based authentication method the router will either flag your MAC or IP address as routable to the LAN/Internet or it will issue you another IP address that is routable.

The problem is usually with other background tasks running on your device that instantly request Internet access before you even open your browser. The background task may receive the redirect page, getting there before the browser. Routers seem to only send a couple of redirect pages then error out for a while before sending it again.

If I have major difficulty receiving a page redirect I usually have to go in and either shut down background apps or shut down sync services until AFTER I've successfully completed an html-based login.

• Like 1

BTW, read some reviews for Wifi Fixer and the one that turned me off was this one:

Decent It didn't work for me, but I can see it would fix some other common problems. My big gripe is that there is no way to exit and shut it down. I had to manually stop the process. I don't want it always running in the background.

It worked for me, bro ;-)