Thai Children on school holiday

Hi, I'm not sure where to post this .School is out for now in Sakon Nakhon. My GF's 17 year old girl doesn't have any plans on doing anything but staying home and doing nothing (playing facebook ,housework and hanging around in the house .She is a good girl and has a 3.8 GPA. but there seems to be no initiative on her or her mother's part to occupy her time, constructively while she's on school holiday .I don't want to impose . I also know some children need supervision and directions . I'm just a live in Farang that pay's all the bills and I don't have a problem with that.I just think its very strange that she has nothing to do and she's not encouraged to do something about it . Is this typical for Issan village people. What options does she have while she's out ? I have no idea what opportunities these kids have up here in Issan. Please be polite and respectful of your comments

Thank you

Most Bangkok kids this age go to cram schools for university entrance. In no way I endorse that, but perhaps she can do some extra lessons in your local town. Is she interested in learning more english? can you help? I wouldn't go much by the GPA as these are not standardised across schools. A student getting a 4 in one school could go to another school and only get a 3 or 2.5. The school holiday is way too long here and kids time needs to be used constructively.

Most Bangkok kids this age go to cram schools for university entrance. In no way I endorse that, but perhaps she can do some extra lessons in your local town. Is she interested in learning more english? can you help? I wouldn't go much by the GPA as these are not standardised across schools. A student getting a 4 in one school could go to another school and only get a 3 or 2.5. The school holiday is way too long here and kids time needs to be used constructively.

Hi, Thank You for your quick response.Sorry if I wasn't more explicit but this isn't Bangkok its Sakon Nakhon,Issan . Yes ,I do help with her English. Her English has improved tremendously especially since she got over being shy. I will help her with her English homework only when she ask. I have suggested that we can do more basic learning but she gets flustered and carry's on so I don't bother to mention it anymore.I think theirs a lot to be said about structure and guidance in a suggested sense.I like this idea of researching on the university entrance examines Preparation can only help! I think if her friends suggest it she would go in a heart beat,lets hope .I don't want to beat this up.

She is lucky she is up North.. Down south they don't get a break, summer school is in full swing.

Fortunately, my wife runs a summer school and we are packed out for the next 2 months. Even had to employ 2 extra teachers :)

Buy her a crossbow and send her out to get dinner !!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

She is lucky she is up North.. Down south they don't get a break, summer school is in full swing.

Fortunately, my wife runs a summer school and we are packed out for the next 2 months. Even had to employ 2 extra teachers smile.png

North-east actually, she's is in Isaan, not Chiang Rai!

OP, I'd see if you could find a language school, which may also offer computer and science classes. although it will be closed for a few days over Songkran, or failing that find a local school teacher who could teach her daily.

Edited by EASYDOGG

Get broadband if you haven't got it already. Encourage her to browse - see what she would like to do for a career. She could even do an online course (MOOCs) & give herself a head start for college or uni.

(Find a job you like, you will never work a day in your life!)

Make her ask you at least 1 question every morning, and another in the afternoon!

Edited by DekDaeng
  • Like 1

argh.. summer schools, poor kids. That would not be my idea. but there is nothing worse than sitting at home doing nothing.

like ikbenhet mentioned, go on a road trip or find other constructive fun things to do. Maybe if you're out in the sticks teach her to drive a car properly since she might be almost 18. or just other things, maybe good for your bond together.

• Like 1

I agree, a family road trip is a bonding experience, I love to take trains, once went from Chiang Mai to Bangkok, then to Kuala Lumpur, took about six days and had a great time. I also have a friend that since he retired, he takes relatives Temple Touring, they find old temples throughout the Kingdom, study them and the teenager write school papers on their trips. Be sure to stop in Uthradadit Lumpang Lumpung etc etc etc..........thumbsup.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif just writing here makes me want to jump on a train and just go..........

• Like 2

You're talking about children and she's 17? That's a young adult not a kid.

Raising adolescents 101. Particularly girls. Particularly pretty Issan girls. Keep them close. Involve her in what you and your missus are doing mostly and keep the blokes with unscrupulous intentions at bay.

Fortunately, my wife runs a summer school and we are packed out for the next 2 months. Even had to employ 2 extra teachers smile.png

North-east actually, she's is in Isaan, not Chiang Rai!

OP, I'd see if you could find a language school, which may also offer computer and science classes. although it will be closed for a few days over Songkran, or failing that find a local school teacher who could teach her daily.

Potato, tomato... Whatever.. :)

She's not a kid, she's a young adult. I'm sure you would prefer her to be at home than out and about, running a muck or drinking with her friends. Like you mentioned she is staying home and doing housework, at least she is helping out. School would be stressful as well, especially at her age with some big decisions to make about university courses next year. Let her do her thing as long as she is doing the right thing, what have you really got to complain about? I do like the idea of a road trip as someone suggested. Maybe work out a plan with her and go and explore. I'm sure there is much of Thailand she hasn't seen and it's important for one to learn about the history and see their country.

Edited by Phuketboy

... especially at her age with some big decisions to make about university courses next year. ...

As far as I have understood Thai culture, it's not about the kids to make the decisions, but the parents to make the decisions for their kids. I doubt that she is thinking about university courses for next year, as you mentioned her unambitious approach. Maybe you should sit down together with her and her mother to discuss exactly THAT. Maybe the output will lead to the right direction and you can prepare the according steps?

• Like 2

I've was asked if I'd take my neighbour's 2 kids (15 and 17) with me in my daily walks along the canals of Lat Krabang and try and promote a sense of fitness awareness, plus a modicum of interest and respect in their environment, these last school holidays.

Usually I'd blanch at the thought as my walks are great wool gathering and problem solving times of my day, however I've always got on with these kids. They're well behaved, smart as baked beans - especially with computers and all things tech related - as well as quite amusing. So it was a real good experience for me as I have a strong dislike for children usually.

After as week I had about 7 of the buggers tagging along. Not even increasing the distance from my usual 6km to 8km didn't deter them (nearly done for me though). Didn't half win me some brownie points on the estate though.

I think the key to the 'problem' here is to find a "new horizon" if you will, as in something outside of their usual sphere of interest or experience. When I showed the kids a beautiful Reticulated Python hanging in a tree, they were utterly thrilled to bits. I doubt they even knew such things could be found so close to their homes. Even a sight of the very common water monitors would draw exited reactions from them as would the huge storks (?) which come here at certain times of the year.

The biggest plus for me was their reaction to the disgusting filth and litter in the canals, and when I explained how - in the future as the next middle class - to ensure people kept them clean, was their responsibility, I think (hope) they took that on board.

• Like 1

Please don't say you just pay the bills you live with this family they in their own way quitely look up to you try and talk to the boy ask what he want to do see if you can help PLEASE don't be just the guy who pays the bills he maybe 17 but he is worth SOME of your time and direction like any young person is.

We have all been there as young people it's hard, harder here than where you came from I would imagine soften up a bit stop thinking you will be interferring please it's worth a try you have nothing to lose you may get something from him you did not expect..a THANK YOU...

How good would that be,

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm very happy I have many people's opinions.Believe me when I say I'm not a threat to this girls intellect. I just want to help with her education which will undoubtedly help her help herself to a better life as opposed to the life that many children have here that come from small villages in Issan with little hope of ever

getting a higher education. It seems to me that many have suggested day trips .Her and her mother are very reluctant to do anything that suggests spending a day away together site seeing from the house especially when the sun is out ( black and white skin considered racism/peasant) mentality.I can understand thisThai skin thing so to speak I don't agree with it but thats another matter.

We have a motorbike so were limited to the 3 of us traveling together.I offer to take a bus to get out and go somewhere different other then traveling to Udon on occasion but they have no ambition to try something different.I offer to go on walks in the park but the daughter doesn't want to go.I go with the mother only. I asked the mother

why she and her don't bother to ask me to help read english .I don't know she replied ok I'll shrug that off .I won't bother to comment on some peoples opinions here because I find them insulting,my original post asked for only polite respectful comments. So far I'm leaning on the uncle that's a Professor in the University up here for guidance.I asked for his assistance just recently.He feels the same as I do. She must show initiative,she can't have everything done for her.He gave her a assignment. She is to check on and research what university she would like to attend to study for a law degree.and then report back to him since she expressed interest in having a education in law at some capacity. Its a start . ; -)

Your advice is well taken Thank You

Please don't say you just pay the bills you live with this family they in their own way quitely look up to you try and talk to the boy ask what he want to do see if you can help PLEASE don't be just the guy who pays the bills he maybe 17 but he is worth SOME of your time and direction like any young person is.

We have all been there as young people it's hard, harder here than where you came from I would imagine soften up a bit stop thinking you will be interferring please it's worth a try you have nothing to lose you may get something from him you did not expect..a THANK YOU...

How good would that be,