SuperSight Surgery by Dr. Somchai at BPH .

banglay

I had a detached retina at the end of 2011, BH rayong were not able to do the op, but said BH pattaya could some four days later, i instead had the op done at the EENT hospital in Bangkok for a third of the cost and two days earlier than Pattaya.

In september I had a cataract op in the same eye in the UK, My eye sight is clouding over again and i will need a secondary cataract op done later this year, due to waiting lists in the UK. I would fully recommend the EENT hospital in Bankok.

Would i risk having an eye operation that wasn't necessary - no way, i lost the sight in my right eye as a result of the retina detachment, (only for a few days until it was restored in Bangkok), it was not a pleasant experience, and in fact quite frightening, seeing through one eye only, is something that your brain would compensate for a little, but you would always have a blind spot, driving would be harder and your head would be bobbing around like watching a tennis match.

Would i have both eyes operated on , on the same day, - again no way, only a fool would risk their eyesight that way.

Many/most people that have done a cataract op needs a second one in the same eye after a few years. It's normal and I have also done it. It's not a real surgery like the first. It takes 10 minutes and it's easy and painless

• Like 1

I had a detached retina at the end of 2011, BH rayong were not able to do the op, but said BH pattaya could some four days later, i instead had the op done at the EENT hospital in Bangkok for a third of the cost and two days earlier than Pattaya.

In september I had a cataract op in the same eye in the UK, My eye sight is clouding over again and i will need a secondary cataract op done later this year, due to waiting lists in the UK. I would fully recommend the EENT hospital in Bankok.

Would i risk having an eye operation that wasn't necessary - no way, i lost the sight in my right eye as a result of the retina detachment, (only for a few days until it was restored in Bangkok), it was not a pleasant experience, and in fact quite frightening, seeing through one eye only, is something that your brain would compensate for a little, but you would always have a blind spot, driving would be harder and your head would be bobbing around like watching a tennis match.

Would i have both eyes operated on , on the same day, - again no way, only a fool would risk their eyesight that way.

Further to my last post.

That is my problem, I have had 3 detached retinas in the same eye and during the first operation the doctor misfired with the laser and damaged my macula for which I cannot see out of - I later found out he went and worked at one of the other international hospitals got kicked out there abd then opened up his own private practice.

Rutnin in Bangkok is the only choice - their hospital only works on eyes nothing else and a lot of their Thai Doctors were trained in the US.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3

• Like 2

I do not need cataract surgery ..I am looking to have special lenses implanted so that I can throw away my vari focal glasses for once and forever..

Yes I understand. In my view, this is overselling cataract surgery for people without cataracts. You don't have cataracts but you are talking about getting cataract surgery (removing your natural lens and replacing). I guess I have a conservative view on such things and think even low risk cataract surgery should be limited to those who actually NEED it. Obviously, this is up to you. I am suggesting -- think hard on that.

On the pro side, if you live long enough, you are likely to develop cataracts anyway, so getting this surgery means you won't need cataract surgery later.

One question I have which I am not informed enough to know about is if this cataract surgery for people without cataracts is being promoted in western countries. I haven't heard that it is.

In Thailand, you can easily buy all kinds of procedures you don't really need, or aren't particularly sensible ...

It's not Cataract surgery. Cataract is when your lens is clouding. And it's the most common cause of blindness in the world.

This surgery is also done in about every other country. At least in all western countries

I think it is exactly the SAME procedure as cataract surgery WITHOUT the compelling MEDICAL cause.

Incision made, old lens sucked out, new lens implanted.

So why do call it cataract surgery then? There is NO cataract.

The hospitals or doctor's don't name it like that.

Splitting hairs here, dude.

If you go in and have even beginning stages of cataracts, in my view, it would be cataract surgery.

I think it's important to know what the surgical procedure is that people are paying for (and accepting the risk for).

Edited by Jingthing

At least in my country (Sweden) where I have done 2 cataract operations. The doctors will not replace your lens with the kind of lenses we have talked about here. They are not allowed to do it.

And it's not splitting hears Dude. You can't operate for cataract if it doesn't exist.

Edited by larsjohnsson
  • Like 1

I do not need cataract surgery ..I am looking to have special lenses implanted so that I can throw away my vari focal glasses for once and forever..

Yes I understand. In my view, this is overselling cataract surgery for people without cataracts. You don't have cataracts but you are talking about getting cataract surgery (removing your natural lens and replacing). I guess I have a conservative view on such things and think even low risk cataract surgery should be limited to those who actually NEED it. Obviously, this is up to you. I am suggesting -- think hard on that.

On the pro side, if you live long enough, you are likely to develop cataracts anyway, so getting this surgery means you won't need cataract surgery later.

One question I have which I am not informed enough to know about is if this cataract surgery for people without cataracts is being promoted in western countries. I haven't heard that it is.

In Thailand, you can easily buy all kinds of procedures you don't really need, or aren't particularly sensible ...

It's not Cataract surgery. Cataract is when your lens is clouding. And it's the most common cause of blindness in the world.

This surgery is also done in about every other country. At least in all western countries

I think it is exactly the SAME procedure as cataract surgery WITHOUT the compelling MEDICAL cause.

Incision made, old lens sucked out, new lens implanted.

Are you talking as a layperson or a medical professional here ??? or have you just gleaned your expertise from the 49+k post on Thai visa (which everyone knows makes a person an expert in every field known to man ).

peace brother whistling.gif

At least in my country (Sweden) where I have done 2 cataract operations. The doctors will not replace your lens with the kind of lenses we have talked about here. They are not allowed to do it.

And it's not splitting hears Dude. You can't operate for cataract if it doesn't exist.

Now you're not making any sense.

When you remove the original lens (clouded or not) you then have the CHOICE of type and quality of the news lens (assuming you can afford it).

Your country's medical care system may not PAY for those fancy lenses. but you have the CHOICE to pay for them somewhere.

I do not believe you that there is any universal medical reason not to put fancy lenses in cataract patients.

These decisions are made on a case by case basis. Sometimes it is determined the smartest choice is single focus lens even without regard to cost.

Are you talking as a layperson or a medical professional here ??? or have you just gleaned your expertise from the 49+k post on Thai visa (which everyone knows makes a person an expert in every field known to man ).

So now you're insulting me because I have a lot of posts? That's as disgusting as insulting people who have few posts. You already know I am not a medical professional. I have done a lot of research and yes I need cataract surgery but want to wait to use the femtosecond method. Cheers.

One thing I am not 100 percent clear on:

1. Is there something super extra special/unique about the high end multifocus lens that is used at BPH that is different than is available at many other places in the world?

On the often needed secondary cataract laser procedure, it seems to me logically that would not be needed for people who have new lenses put in who didn't have the initial cataracts.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Now you're not making any sense.

When you remove the original lens (clouded or not) you then have the CHOICE of type and quality of the news lens (assuming you can afford it).

Your country's medical care system may not PAY for those fancy lenses. but you have the CHOICE to pay for them somewhere.

I do not believe you that there is any universal medical reason not to put fancy lenses in cataract patients.

These decisions are made on a case by case basis. Sometimes it is determined the smartest choice is single focus lens even without regard to cost.

They will not put any lens that you like in when doing the cataract op. After the operation it takes about 6 weeks for the eye and vision/eyesight to stabilize. So the eye will change a bit for most people in those weeks. You can't even try out new glasses before that. Then you have to replace them after a couple of weeks

So now you're insulting me because I have a lot of posts? That's as disgusting as insulting people who have few posts. You already know I am not a medical professional. I have done a lot of research and yes I need cataract surgery but want to wait to use the femtosecond method. Cheers.

1. Is there something super extra special/unique about the high end multifocus lens that is used at BPH that is different than is available at many other places in the world?

On the often needed secondary cataract laser procedure, it seems to me logically that would not be needed for people who have new lenses put in who didn't have the initial cataracts.

I did not mean to be insulting....but you said to me that you would drop subject ..you have hijacked my post by taking it off on a tangent which I have noticed you have/do on numerous occasions All I wanted was feed back from people who have had the procedure done that is all ....not the pedantic s of whether it is Cataract surgery or not

They will not put any lens that you like in when doing the cataract op. After the operation it takes about 6 weeks for the eye and vision/eyesight to stabilize. So the eye will change a bit for most people in those weeks. You can't even try out new glasses before that. Then you have to replace them after a couple of weeks

Lets shed some light on this, shall we?

http://www.cataract.org.uk/conditions-and-procedures/cataract-surgery/how-to-choose-your-lens/

Typical menu of LENS OPTIONS for surgical patients (cataract or not, same procedure).

It is totally incorrect to suggest in these modern times that single focus lens are the only option for cataract patients. You perhaps have formed your opinions based on your national health care system or very outdated information.

As I have said, the choice of lens is based on personal factors, desires for outcome (glasses or not), and cost. Each person should be evaluated individually. No universal rules as you have implied.

If you are over 40 and wishing to be free of glasses then you should consider the revolutionary high definition Mplus HD lens which has many advantages over laser vision correction. The success of this lens allows both cataract and non-cataract patients freedom from glasses for far, intermediate and near vision. Even if you are short sighted, long sighted or have astigmatism, the Mplus HD lens can give you permanent vision correction.

1. Monofocal The standard lens used in cataract surgery. Glasses will be needed after.
  2. Tetraflex An accommodating lens. Some need for glasses after.
  3. Mplus HD For patients who wish to be free of glasses.
  4. Acri.Comfort Custom made lenses to correct astigmatism.
  5. Mplus HD Toric For patients who wish to be free of glasses and who have astigmatism.
  6. Acri.Vitalis A special lens which allows the patient to be free of glasses even if already had cataract surgery.

This doctor is calling cataract surgery for people without cataracts, clear lens surgery.

Same procedure. I agree it doesn't matter at all what you call it, cataract surgery, clear lens surgery, whatever BUT I do think it is useful for potential patients (with cataract or not) understand that it is the same procedure.

4] Does a cataract need to be ‘ripe’ before surgery is done?

No. Modern Cataract Operation in skilled hands is very successful. This means that the threshold for recommending surgery has changed over the years. Because my audited complications are low (over 99% surgically uncomplicated), I am happy to offer clear lens surgery for people who are short or long-sighted. The chance of making your vision permanently worse following uncomplicated surgery is under 1%. If you are in poor health it may be advisable to have your cataract operation at an early date.

Edited by Jingthing

[quote

This post clearly shows that you don't understand what cataract surgery is.

And let the thread go back to what the OP like it to be.

Instead of hurling uncalled for insults, perhaps have a look at the actual topic, Super Sight surgery, which yes dears, IS a treatment option for those WITH or WITHOUT cataracts. Really if this does not erase any doubt about that, I don't know what will. The thing that's special about the Super Sight is THE LENS not whether its for people with or without cataracts, as it can be used for BOTH (but obviously each and every patient needs specific evaluation for many complex factors)! I asked a TOTALLY ON POINT and remarkably relevant question about whether BPH has a MORE SPECIAL premium IOL than you can purchase many other places. I really would like to know that answer myself. I think the answer is no, but looking for confirmation. Also keep in mind if there is nothing unique to BPH of their lens, there really are OTHER options out there that may be cheaper and just as or perhaps more medically reliable to get premium lens implants, such as at world famous Rutnin hospital in Bangkok, etc.

http://www.supersightsurgery.com/

This included the new advancements in technology ( this is not Lasik) that enables you to have great vision both near and far even if you have stigmatism or even if you have had Lasik in the past.
In our practice, we found that patients typically had concerns and questions regarding the benefits of the newer IOL technologies designed to treat this condition.
Cataract patients wanted to know what the new lenses did that the old ones did not. They were also concerned about value and were hesitant to embrace an emerging, more expensive technology.
Informed patients who understand the value of premium IOLs are more likely to invest in the technology.
In some cases, your medical insurrance company may cover all or part of the cost.
Edited by Jingthing

Where did I say a single focus is the only option ? Stop making things up when you don't know

Reading your posts, I thought you implied that by suggesting that the sophisticated lens used at BPH was not suitable for people who actually have cataracts. If I was mistaken that was what you were implying, my regrets. It is well known throughout the history of cataract surgery that monofocus lenses are the standard and are of course still widely used (with those you will need glasses afterwards). But now indeed there are other options, all more expensive.

Also note, if all you've got to answer is some new barking insult, I ask, please don't bother.

Edited by Jingthing

I often wonder why posts/threads in the Pattaya Forum so often become aggressive and offensive. It reminds me of controlling my temper in my daily life, which is not always easy, as my frustrations are probably as high as many of us experience in this place. Sorry to distract form this very interesting subject and thank you for the many facts published here. MS>

I often wonder why posts/threads in the Pattaya Forum so often become aggressive and offensive. It reminds me of controlling my temper in my daily life, which is not always easy, as my frustrations are probably as high as many of us experience in this place. Sorry to distract form this very interesting subject and thank you for the many facts published here. MS>

The plus side for the OP, who yes we all understand is seeking results reports about BPH SuperSight surgery, is that this topic has remained ACTIVE which actually increases the chances that he will get some more actual results reports. Good luck to the OP in gathering info to make this important health decision.

Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I understand the OP's frustration about this thread but this is simply cataract surgery without the cataracts so he must research and weigh the risks accordingly. I would speak with Dr. Somchai personally and discuss your concerns and his success rate. I personally would not do two eyes at once. These surgeries are done now on an outpatient basis for most people in western countries with a follow up visit the day after surgery. Supersight is just a medical tourism marketing name and most patients return to their home countries shortly. When I had my surgery I asked my doctor about the multifocal lenses and whether it was worth my additional costs. He asked if I was a type A person. If I was type A he said I might not be as happy because those personalities are more demanding. Also if I did a lot of intense close up work or on the computer continually I would pass on these expensive multifocal imports.

• Like 2

I agree there are really strong pros and cons for choosing EITHER single focus vs. multi-focus lenses and patients really ought to research those points well because the lens implants are permanent. Of course "SuperSight" uses multi-focus only (the goal which can't be guaranteed is to not need glasses after) and yes I tend to agree the term "SuperSight" is about marketing rather than any kind of revolutionary/uncommon technology. Which is why I keep asking for information about whether there really IS anything especially unique to BPH about the lenses they use (I don't think so).

Edited by Jingthing

I showed my American doctor the Supersight brochure and literature a few years back. There are several European manufacturers and they are very expensive for the patient so the hospital makes a nice profit retailing these lenses. My additional costs back then was 4000 USD per lens.

Hello Banglay....

About 4 years ago I went to see Dr. Somchai about lens replacement surgery after talking to a friend who had it done. I did an eye checkup and was told I was a suitable candidate. I booked it and was admitted for the procedure for that afternoon. It was very well explained to me and I did it. It was fast and painless. By 5:00 PM that evening I was reading the newspaper without reading glasses. The cost I think was ฿185000. That was including one year of follow up check ups. Knowing what I know now I would definitely do it again. I am 53 years old with 20/20 vision and my eyesight will never change for the rest of my life. The poster that wrote about his bad experience was because of his own doing. You must lay there and not move your eyes while the doctor is operating on you. Anyway if you want to do it I would highly recommend Dr Somchai and the one night stay in the BPH is better then a 5 star hotel stay. Good luck with your choice.

• Like 2

On the issue of patient anxiety, this is a serious matter for this kind of surgery. I am not going to get into the blame game here, but one thing patients should demand is that their anxiety situation is being addressed properly. It's a human factors thing that sometimes even great technical surgeons are not so great at. (Different skill sets really.) There are different things that can be done to reduce the risk of problems with this short of general anesthesia (which you do NOT want for eye surgery). Actually it's an issue for me, I am an anxious patient (I know this will surprise few) and I feel the femtosecond laser technology without manual surgical incisions mightunsure.png reduce my anxiety about the procedure, and also reportedly better accuracy and even fewer recovery issues than with current popular method. Also to note femtosecond is especially suitable to people with astigmatism which is of course common.

Edited by Jingthing

Wow. The OP only asked if anybody has had this elective surgery done. It turned into a " I know best " argument. I have seen only one other person beside my self that has actually had it done write about their experience. Get a life people.

I think that the SuperSight website has patient reports. I believe most reports will be positive. It's a low risk procedure. On the other hand, there are legal issues with reporting problems even if true, similar to the situation with restaurant reviews in Thailand.

• Like 1

On the issue of patient anxiety, this is a serious matter for this kind of surgery. I am not going to get into the blame game here, but one thing patients should demand is that their anxiety situation is being addressed properly.

Yeah. Wheel out the Valium cart, man! BTW, I'll need a few extra for home recovery.

Sorted. smile.png

Next.

On the issue of patient anxiety, this is a serious matter for this kind of surgery. I am not going to get into the blame game here, but one thing patients should demand is that their anxiety situation is being addressed properly.

Yeah. Wheel out the Valium cart, man! BTW, I'll need a few extra for home recovery.

Sorted. smile.png

Next.

Is Valium legal here?

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Sorted. smile.png

Next.

Is Valium legal here?

prostitution is not legal here

Sorted. smile.png

Next.

Is Valium legal here?

Of course, if prescribed by hospital docs. Quite useful.

Regarding pain - after having numerous major back of eye retinal surgeries the fact of the matter is your eye has no internal pain rectors it is the muscle and nerves around the outer of the eye that is where the pain comes from. I had 2 full invasive surgeries in 2 consecutive days first being under general anaesthetic but the 2nd under local because I could not have 2 generals in 2 days the 2nd although local and my eye blacked out I could still partially see the instruments working around inside my eye but I had no pain due to the locals injected into the muscles around the outer of my eye

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3