Alcohol this Saturday

smokie36

Sorry for seeming ignorant, but why wouldn't it be served this Saturday? According to this site (http://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/thailand/) Thursday 20 March is a "season holiday" (not really a holiday observance, right?) and according to this site (http://www.officeholidays.com/countries/thailand/) there are NO HOLIDAYS at all until 7 April... So what special holiday is it that all of the online calendar sites don't cover???

I've seen places advertising events this Saturday- like Bangkok Bar Infinity in Thonglor - so it doesn't seem like there's a dry spell on. But I've messaged some bar owners I know to see what they're saying...

But back to your original question- bars around Patpong usually seem to keep serving during a lot of dry spells so that would be a pretty safe bet for a drink. (Not just girlie bars but the more normal bars around the Patpong sois).

I've seen places advertising events this Saturday- like Bangkok Bar Infinity in Thonglor - so it doesn't seem like there's a dry spell on. But I've messaged some bar owners I know to see what they're saying...

But back to your original question- bars around Patpong usually seem to keep serving during a lot of dry spells so that would be a pretty safe bet for a drink. (Not just girlie bars but the more normal bars around the Patpong sois).

Thanks mate....obviously I hope I am wrong and please let us know whether they are open or not this weekend!

Yeah, but as Smokie said, it's the advance voting this weekend- well, on the 23rd anyway.

Bar owner I spoke to yesterday said he hadn't heard about the bars having to close on Saturday (22nd) - but then again sometimes they hear about these things quite late.

Lots of bars around Patts will serve alcohol thinly disguised as coffee on voting days etc. But drinking beer out of a coffee cup is just wrong on so many levels.blink.png

Or some just pay whatever they have to and it's pretty much business as usual.

Advance voting this Saturday I believe, which will be interesting (booze wise) as the Pattaya Music Festival runs right through till Sunday.

I've still not heard anything about an alcohol ban this Saturday- the only place I've seen it mentioned is here (and in the Chiang Mai forum, but they've not got any actual sources for it either)... Smokie, did you read somewhere that the ban was on, or was it just because of past experience..?

Not that I'm an, uh, alcoholic or anything... whistling.gif

I've still not heard anything about an alcohol ban this Saturday- the only place I've seen it mentioned is here (and in the Chiang Mai forum, but they've not got any actual sources for it either)... Smokie, did you read somewhere that the ban was on, or was it just because of past experience..?

Not that I'm an, uh, alcoholic or anything... whistling.gif

For the last advance voting everywhere closed....and I only found out at 5pm that the bar was closing at 6pm....so just a heads up really....i hope it doesn't happen!

A couple of bar owners I'm friends with say they haven't heard anything- and there are a lot of events and parties advertised from Saturday night- everything from reggae ones at Khao San to a pool party at the Dream Hotel...

What I had heard was that Patong was meant to dry for a mayoral thing and Chiang Mai was going to be affected but everywhere else was free and easy. But, like we all know... in this country that doesn't mean a thing and everything could change in a couple of hours.

During the week I'm not bothered but I do like to spend my Friday and Saturday nights in a stupor if possible coffee1.gif

Edited by Rumblecat

I'm in a Thonglor bar as we speak, they have told me that they will not be serving alcohol tomorrow to ensure that those voting in the pre election tomorrow can do so with a clear head.

They will not be serving alcohol me next weekend for the same reason.

The Wine Connection downstairs from my bar are not selling wine after 18.00 tomorrow, and neither is their Bistro on Sukhumvit 47.

So back to my original question.....real time updates welcome!!

Smokes, you can come to my place if you bring your own. I dont drink anymore but I would enjoy watching you getting sloshed while my two sons stand, point, and hey pops, look at the drunk farang ex samui, still in samui? comes to bangkok only to drink...banter.

Good luck all the same.

Perhaps you could get a few mates and start a protest about how all these darn elections are always held on weekends.

As to who will close and who will get away with it.....well, of course, a lot depends on each establishment's relationship with the local constabulary.....elections tend to be a big no-no, though...we used to serve upstairs at The Olde Bell on such days.

I'm heading off for a few beers on Sukhumvit this afternoon, to beat the ban. Open air street side bar on the corner of Suk and soi 5, then The Londoner for happy hours, then a mint tea and a hookah pipe on soi Arab once I'm pleasantly pissed and the ban has kicked in ..assuming its going to.... 'fraid I cant send real time updates, Smokie as I don't possess one of those frightful 'iphones'. Hope you find a beer.

PS your Scottish flag is being lovingly looked after by my mother-in-law in Hang Dong. Hope to reunite you with it some day!!

Smokes, you can come to my place if you bring your own. I dont drink anymore but I would enjoy watching you getting sloshed while my two sons stand, point, and hey pops, look at the drunk farang ex samui, still in samui? comes to bangkok only to drink...banter.

Good luck all the same.

Perhaps you could get a few mates and start a protest about how all these darn elections are always held on weekends.

biggrin.png The reformed characters are always the worst. Glad to hear you are getting along better than your team. clap2.gif

Couldn't resist......tongue.png

Good luck all the same.

biggrin.png The reformed characters are always the worst. Glad to hear you are getting along better than your team. clap2.gif

Couldn't resist......tongue.png

sssh, i was all pissed at the start of the year that my condo cannot allow / offer CTH. In hindsight...a good thing. Hows your hangover today?

Don't have one. Hey if you have a smart TV you can watch using a subscription through your phone. There's a thread in the usual place tells ya all about it.....

Edit: Its a lot cheaper than CTH too.

Edited by smokie36