Great Coffee Inside Moat / Old City

freedomnow

I'm trying to find more great coffee places specifically inside the moat.....

I know of :-

Pacamara

Ponganese

and wonder if any new places have popped up or places I may pass by without knowing. Ristr8tto is a bit far to grab a quick coffee.

Just a quick comment on those 3.

I find Pacamara to have a good consistent main blend, Ponganese a bit hit-and-miss (bit charred/dusty at times), Ristr8tto has a very unique taste/mix but consistency can be a bit varied, especially when they are busy.

Keen to know if there are any new gems I can find !!!

Fairly new Akha Ama just before Phrah Singh temple on Sunday walking Street......one to add to the list of quality coffee shops inside moat....whistling.gif.

Anybody, anybody...where are the other great places hiding down lanes/in hotels etc ?

Edited by freedomnow

I like coffee, but can detect very little difference between the places that use fresh ground. I concentrate more on the portion size and the price. The Bagel House on the road that goes straight into Chiang Mai Gate has good, strong coffee for 40 baht and the bagel with cream cheese is one of the best in town. The girls who work there are really cute and personable too.

re

The Bagel House on the road that goes straight into Chiang Mai Gate has good, strong coffee for 40 baht and the bagel with cream cheese is one of the best in town

here ya go smile.png

dave2

Nice, I'm on it like a helpless caffeine slave......biggrin.pngwai2.gif

The girls who work there are really cute and personable too.

Unfortunately, though Pacamara coffee is fairly consistent...one member of staff needs to be fired....you'll spot her...short, glued to Facebook updates half way down the counter, customer service an afterthought or no thought whatsoever as she keeps getting interrupted by "these pesky people that keep coming in the front door for some reason". But it looks like she is in with the bricks that one...coffee1.gif

Edited by freedomnow

Blind Coffee is very good, 30bht hot, 35bht iced, served in nice glasses in air-con room with free wifi.

Smoothies 25bht. And you are supporting a worthwhile organization.

Next to Blind Massage, parking in the Blind Institute itself.

Inner Moat, Mountain side of town.

If you drive down Suthep road, left at the moat, U-ey ASAP, about half way between gate and corner.

Google map search.

The Northern School for the Blind Under the Paronage of the Queen Chiangmai.

(Not on street view as it's new)

Edited by FiftyTwo

Olde tyme coffee on Maneenoparat Rd. next to Samsung. Sort of "laid back" in terms of hours but usually open around 10 am to 3 or 4 p.m.. You order and the "barrista" grinds the coffee for your order in a mortar and pestle. Just the smell soothes my caffeine addiction.

re

The Bagel House on the road that goes straight into Chiang Mai Gate has good, strong coffee for 40 baht and the bagel with cream cheese is one of the best in town

here ya go :)

dave2

I heard you can't get a good bagel west of the Hudson river so I will give it a try.

re

I'm on it like a helpless caffeine slave

ahhhhh got it !

so you look like this in the morning and paint on benches in

your spare time smile.png

just joshin .. dave2

So that is why I woke up with paint all over my fingers one morning....coffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gif

It's amazing that on the surface, a simple looking drink like coffee can go so wrong in so many ways..... i was looking at some coffee chart in Pacamara with the disaster zone taste descriptions and that seems to fit most places I try randomly in CM without a good recommendation tip.

Edited by freedomnow

Have you tried CREEMA COFFEE half way up Loykro road they are fantastic VERY busy but worth the wait try them you will not be dissapointed.

Signed

Qualified Barista and Trainer

yep, the cappucinos will light you up quite nicely too ;)

• 2 months later...

Great coffee discovery just outside the moat....it is on Suthep Road between old city and start of Nimman....and I thought I was going up to the THOM coffee van but there was another van nearer the old city 'Dark Coffee' or something or other almost on the same block.....I'll check it and post again.....same premium level grade as Pacamara/Ristr8to/Thom coffee.....aptly named a very lovely dark taste that is in total contrast to the style of the aforementioned top grade places..... 5 star !

Made my day to taste a new coffee that I don't feel to project out my mouth immediately wai2.gif

For Ice frappe I would definitely go to Arte House , small cafe in moon muang soi 7 I think.

For my morning cup, I still prefer Dippio at Ristret8 on Nimman.

Have they changed the blend at Ristr8o ? Every time I buy it now there is a bitter after-taste like they are using splenda or some kind of artificial sweetener....it's not the same as last year...I swear ! Last year it was coffee perfection...maybe I get used to other tamer blends elsewhere....the interior was cooler before....now it feels kind of claustrophobic with the uber-dark wood new theme inside.

Riiiiight Arte House....they just refurbed that front building last year or so( here comes trendy CM with trendy prices...)...will give it a shot and see if they have coffee perfection....though I doubt it will beat the coffee van near THOM coffee on Suthep Rd....shockingly good !

To me , Ristret8 is still the same. Perhaps I am not here in Chiangmai enough to spot the difference. I come to Chiangmai twice a month and stay for a couple days, either take my morning one at Ristret8 or Impresso near my hotel.

Arte House , try the frappe one. Enjoy :)

The coffee van on Suthep is called the "Espresso The DARK"....aptly named it is the deepest taste I've had in CM ....he uses some kind of Italian coffee press and his mixed blend is sourced locally.

Again today same superb taste.....consistency is key and one un-named place inside moat is all over the place with consistency due to new staff....