Thailand weighs suit against Singaporean organizers of ‘SONGKRAN’

webfact

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any news on whether they're gonna have girls dancing topless on trucks in Singapore?

Unlike Thai, I don't think the Singapore girls have got the balls to do that.

Unlike Thai, I don't think the Singapore girls have the low self-worth, low self-esteem and worthless education to do that.

I fixed it for you.

With luck all those young cretinous falang who invade CM and do their damnedest to infect everyone with moat-water will f off to Singapore this year.

Anyway, not my problem. I'm getting out of dodge that week

Bah Humbug! May they eat the spiciest curry of their lives and may their arms be too short to use the bum gun. w00t.gif

Thais really believe Songkran is only celebrated in Thailand? lol Better get quick with that patent submission Mr Culture Minister. Why is the TAT interested if it's just about 'respecting elders'.....gives the kids a chance to practice their feigned respect I guess.

Any news on whether they're gonna have girls dancing topless on trucks in Singapore?

Is only the ones WITH the balls to have to balls to dance on a pickup topless lol

Better be careful because perhaps somewhat more honest types might just contemplate taking court action regarding the Thai presumption that Buddhism was and is of a solely Thai origin.

Oh don't forget Christmas and those ''Jinger Bells too.cheesy.gif

I think you'll find Thais are way too clever to get caught like that.

Their version of Buddhism is barely recognisable. They've achieved this by largely doing away with the 5 precepts in favour of hanging around temples giving money to monks. I have lots of fun asking about the eating of meat and killing animals. There are endless excuses for not following that precept. The best told to me by a monk who I'm certain knew he was lying ( another precept) was that you need to kill animals because you have to eat meat and pork. Explains those Jews and Muslims doesn't it.

Christmas as we all know is a religious and retail festival that involves decorations and trees that are taken down before Epiphany (Jan 6th).

Although some seem to give up when Chinese new year arrives we still had 2 Christmas trees up at the beginning of March in one restaurant and they may still be up now.

So you see they change things so much that you can't claim they've copied it.

Re: Buddhism, vegetarianism....... there are different practices concerning the eating of meat; Thailand follows the Theravada view, which does not prohibit the eating of meat except dog, cat, bear, elephant, leopards, human, and a few other vague creatures...oh..slug too (would that include snails?)....... I love Wikipedia lol.... so be careful before lecturing the local monks on how to eat....... whistling.gif

Well I've read this in 2 books on Theravada Buddhism and spoken to many Thais and your the first person who has contradicted that statement. The monk was grinning when he told me so I'm pretty sure he wasn't giving me the benefit of his knowledge on the subject. So you must know something they don't.

That's not even mentioning the many Thais I know who, if there's alcohol around always without fail get drunk to the point of barely being able to walk and then drive home. And of course getting back to the topic, Thais are renowned for their copyright and intellectual property rights theft.

<<Well I've read this in 2 books on Theravada Buddhism and spoken to many Thais and your the first person who has contradicted that statement>>...what is "this"....what statement ? ..... too vague, needs references, see me after class.... lol

Yes, many Thai do get drunk and then proceed to drive, as do the Irish, English, etc etc..irrelephant (Re: religion)

I do remember reading '7 Years In Tibet', (albeit a long time ago), wherein the author Heinrich Harrer describes how many of the monasteries did actually eat meat, i remember being surprised at the time.

Together with the Thai Police force they should also fire all the TAT's staff, what a bunch of fools!

PS

the 'Tai' themselves are foreign having floated down from the North,

Most of their arts and sports came from Srijaya,Kmer and Mon Tibeto Burman civilizations.

It won't upset them if you tell them for even if they have ever heard of anywhere outside their Mooban they will not believe falang devil

Like me they're all really Johnny come latelys

Some think Buddha was from Lumpini Park no doubt doing the Muay 8 fold.

Interestingly many top knobs some of whom may not even be spoken of were not even born here.

Mt Abhist to cite just one who has the honour of being a Geordie.

TAT's spat is that the Singos will earn some cash from those wisely steered clear from hub of Democracy,

Edited by RubbaJohnny

We havnt spent songkran in Thailand for years, everywhere else that does is so much better, less aggressive and more respectful if you dont wish to take part... usually we go to Laos or Cambodia this year its Myanmar next year it may well be Singapore.

Songkran in Thailand is like a music festival, novel and fun when young and off your face but of little interest when your older, seen it all and sober. ill stick to other countries for songkran and the deals available are simply awesome.

Singapore is full of Thai " working girls" making their fortune, so if any truck dancing is needed I am

sure they can step up to the plate. This Thai nationalism is getting downright silly. Guess

it must play well to the masses, or these government officials would be making fools of themselves

by issuing statement like this one..... So on a reciprocal basis, is this the end of Oktoberfest

and Christmas in Thailand ??

Typical Singapore to reinvent another Asian culture's festival. The whole place strikes me as some kind of ersatz Disney-esque version of Asia. Floating markets next (Edit: no on second thoughts I'll bet they've already got one - and yes I know they might be entitled to recreate a sort of floating market out to merchant ships from the latter part of the 19th Century Singapore)

Edited by SantiSuk
  • Like 1

So some one thinks the name of an age old Buddhist Festival has a copyright that applies ONLY to Thailand???

Did he copyright The Buddha too? What absurdity.

Let see he sue the USA because Thais there and others will have a Songkran festival there too in many cities.

Typical Singapore to reinvent another Asian culture's festival. The whole place strikes me as some kind of ersatz Disney-esque version of Asia. Floating markets next (Edit: no on second thoughts I'll bet they've already got one - and yes I know they might be entitled to recreate a sort of floating market out to merchant ships from the latter part of the 19th Century Singapore)

Where is the fun in that. Maybe they can recreate more of the more modern wonders of Thailand.

A theme park with flooded skyscrapers and housing estates around, or a mountain of fake rice down which people can surf or ski, adventure holidays where tourists can attend protests to vent their spleen. I mean the list of recent screw ups and world famous disasters in Thailand recently gives quite fertily opportunity for development into quite an Asean tourist attraction.

To put it in a frank way;I hate the way songkran is "celibrated" here!The true Thai soul is in full swing;to hell with all concerns for others,let´S have fun,even with folks who don`t want to take part but must get out of their house now and then for some reason.Like many others,I had no idea about the Singapore alternativ,so THANKS for the information!!

With luck all those young cretinous falang who invade CM and do their damnedest to infect everyone with moat-water will f off to Singapore this year.

Anyway, not my problem. I'm getting out of dodge that week

Bah Humbug! May they eat the spiciest curry of their lives and may their arms be too short to use the bum gun. w00t.gif

young cretinous falang.... you fail to have a matching pattern when you add the word Singapore in that sentence.

And Thailand welcomes Singapore to the door mat of ASEAN (AEC), 2015.

Well done yet again, on the international front. Can't even get it right on it's own door-step.

Amazing Thailand.... for the 344th time.

If Thailand Tourism industry doesn't want to be overshadowed by other countries celebrating Songkran, the answer is to raise the ante on Thailand's celebrations. Create special Songkran fesitvals like a New Orleans-style Mardi Gras patterned on water instead of trinkets, evening events like performing Las Vegas-style fountains and fireworks, special entertainment events, etc. Use imagination, not international lawsuits and copyrights.

• Like 1

Both the Songkran water festival and the Loi Kratong festival have their roots and origins in Hindu and anamist festivals.

This is just the beginning.

ASEAN and the AEC will present these people with countless opportunities to embarrass themselves in front of other member nations and (should ANYONE really give a toss) the rest of the planet.

"Sometimes, 'fuggedabowdit' just means fuggedabowdit."

• Like 1

Thailand is the hub of many things as we often like to joke. One thing it leads the world in however hands down is hypocrisy. And stupidity. And . . .

...intellectual property piracy. Now you have the pot calling the kettle black. How ironic when the chickens come home to roost.

If Thailand Tourism industry doesn't want to be overshadowed by other countries celebrating Songkran, the answer is to raise the ante on Thailand's celebrations. Create special Songkran fesitvals like a New Orleans-style Mardi Gras patterned on water instead of trinkets, evening events like performing Las Vegas-style fountains and fireworks, special entertainment events, etc. Use imagination, not international lawsuits and copyrights.

Uh, just received a memo from the New Orleans Mardi Gras Commission and the Las Vegas Chamber of Commerce regarding pending preemptive litigation for trademark infringement.

Ooops, there's another memo. Seems that Europe, North America, New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, and others have just filed a class action law suit against Siam Paragon for trademark infringement because of the Santa Claus imposters deployed there.