Smoking on Nok Air

Sirius1935

I think common sense is more important than rules and regulations. If I don't agree with any, I just don't obey them, but common sense tells me that people are entitled to clean fresh air.

And common sense tells me that when a pilot smokes in the cockpit the air in the cabin stays clean and fresh (as much as possible anyway).

Clean air in an aircraft is utopia anyway. 50% of the air is recycled from the cabin, the other 50 % comes from outside via the engine.

The air from the cabin circles around before being sucked away near the bottom of the cabin floor, so with a couple of hundred persons tightly packed in a confined space you will have all the air that these people exhaled, farts, body odor, sweaty feet etc.etc. doing the rounds.

Furthermore there are nowadays very few places where you will find clean fresh air.

So I don't see how a whiff of cigarette smoke that comes from the cockpit when someone opens the door can do much harm and I also think that smokers who smell this have more reason to complain because they can't smoke. but funnily enough they don't.

Yermanee wai.gif

• Like 2

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a flight attendant who quit smoking 2 years ago and I wanted share my experience in this matter with you, the people who are so concerned about the safety regulations in aviation.

In the first place, I have news for you, in aviation, rules are being constantly broken because there are just so many rules and so many people involved in the daily operations ( think airport staff, catering, security, ATC, pilots and cabin crew each one with there set of rules) that if we would all to follow these rules to the letter I bet more than 80% of the flights would suffer big delays or even worse, being canceled. Think that just a food cart that is not braking could mean an hour or more of delay...

I can guarantee that every pilot from every single airline in the world is braking at least a few rule every flight so do the ATC guys and so do we the flight attendants, it's just the way it is, we all know it, the companies we work for know it and condone with this practices because saves time and money

Also if I remember correctly from my basic training almost 10 years ago IATA only gives guidelines not rules so it is up to every country aviation authority to apply or disregard the IATA guidelines therefor writing to IATA will don't help with anything

Also smoking in flight deck and not only there is very common in most airlines, not trying to defend the pilots but that's the way it is

To end I would like to know how many of you guys never broken rules at work an what good will do to the op if he makes the complain and the guy will loose his job? Also the op has never brake any rules? How would he or he like if someone else would do this to him?

I will add I never worked or even travel with Nok Air, but I wouldn't rush to judge an airline for an incident like this as there are major companies in Europe that ask you 10 times more money than Nok Air for a ticket and the pilots smoke in the flight deck as well but you just don't know it.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I think common sense is more important than rules and regulations. If I don't agree with any, I just don't obey them, but common sense tells me that people are entitled to clean fresh air.

Hi, I am not saying you guys are wrong, I am a father and like I said I quit smoking for my wife and kid, so I do agree with the idea of not smoking in the airplane, also because I know a lot about the quality of the air in the cabin... I was just stating some facts and common practices that happen everywhere not just nok air. The only thing I didn't agree with people from this thread is bashing NokAir (that again I have no connection with). The thing I wanted to point is this is a world wide practice and in aviation rules are broken by all airlines not just Nok Air. I wish you all good luck in changing that.

Edited for mistaken quotes :)

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by agavrilescu

Some years ago I witnessed Bangkok Air staff allowing smoking on the tarmac while boarding , with a fuel truck present. I confronted the staff and they just smiled wearily, guess enforcing safety rules is rude- which is why I don' fly Thai airlines.

Sonme of the ruder posts examning the personality of the OP are really off the mark and even quite against forum rules.

Pliots disregrding basic safety and smoking in the cockpit is outrageous- I don't care how metally disabled one appears to be from inscription services- it is indefensible.

I have an idea, and that is You are a Mean Small Sort of Peson O.P.

I agree with this. The O.P sounds like one of those Unbearable small minded, Politically correct, Jobs worth, Irritating, Little twerp kind of people who have nothing better to do than winge and complain.

no. You sound like what you call the OP. We are all entitled to clean air on an enclosed flight.

Rules ate rules. Oh, but then that is why you fled your own country is it?

Marcusd. Via tapatalk
  • Like 2

Some years ago I witnessed Bangkok Air staff allowing smoking on the tarmac while boarding , with a fuel truck present. I confronted the staff and they just smiled wearily, guess enforcing safety rules is rude- which is why I don' fly Thai airlines.

Sonme of the ruder posts examning the personality of the OP are really off the mark and even quite against forum rules.

Pliots disregrding basic safety and smoking in the cockpit is outrageous- I don't care how metally disabled one appears to be from inscription services- it is indefensible.

Why the connection between the pilot smoking and safety?

And what is the flash point of jet fuel?

Well i must admit, after reading this thread i am certainly less likely to make my next trip on Nok air.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Go with Thai and it will cost you 2000 baht more. Then again you wont smell smoke from a terrorist proof cockpit.

Then youll walk into a restaraunt with many people smoking and accept it.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I won't accept people smoking in a restaurant, I will just start picking my nose in front of them.

A old crotchety guy told me that while sitting at the counter in a diner, having his lunch, a guy next to him lit up. He stopped eating, took out a stick of chewing gum, chomped on it a few times, took it out, and held it in front of the smoker. He then asked the smoker to chew his gum for him. When the surprised smoker indignantly refused, the old guy countered. "Well, if you won't chew my gum for me, then I refuse to inhale your smoke for you!"

Edited by Fookhaht
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Well i must admit, after reading this thread i am certainly less likely to make my next trip on Nok air.

Go with Thai and it will cost you 2000 baht more. Then again you wont smell smoke from a terrorist proof cockpit.

I won't accept people smoking in a restaurant, I will just start picking my nose in front of them.

A old crotchety guy told me that he took out his chewing gum, and asked the smoker to chew his gum for him. When the surprised smoker indignantly refused, the old guy countered. "Well, if you won't chew my gum for me, then I refuse to breathe your smoke for you."

Brilliant Foohaht.

A old crotchety guy told me that he took out his chewing gum, and asked the smoker to chew his gum for him. When the surprised smoker indignantly refused, the old guy countered. "Well, if you won't chew my gum for me, then I refuse to breathe your smoke for you."

Brilliant Foohaht.

If smoking is allowed then you must accept it or go elsewhere.

I was recently in the Ibis Nana. Its non smoking throughout which I accepted and never smoked.

Brilliant Foohaht.

I was recently in the Ibis Nana. Its non smoking throughout which I accepted and never smoked.

There's a difference being a designated smoking area and it just not expressly forbidden. It's anti social behaviour that others should have to put up with and in places where it's not forbidden, the onus should still be on the smoker to not inconvenience others.

• Like 1

Brilliant Foohaht.

There's a difference being a designated smoking area and it just not expressly forbidden. It's anti social behaviour that others should have to put up with and in places where it's not forbidden, the onus should still be on the smoker to not inconvenience others.

Decide with your feet. If theres smoking dont go. Easy.

Well, there is that option, but why should you. It's the smokers who are in the wrong. I don't go into designated smoking places for obvious reasons. It isn't a simple case of smoking being fine, do it or don't do it. It's antisocial behaviour that we've been conditioned to tolerate because it's always been there. Non smokers should be standing up to smokers any time they are causing discomfort or throwing their butts into the street etc.

If you can't answer a question, don't bother answering.

Well from my early days as a refueler on navy aircraft carriers, seem to remember JP5 was 144 degrees Fahrenheit. You could toss a lit cigarette into a can of JP5 and it would be extinguished. JP4, often used by shore based aircraft, was more volatile so more care and caution was necessary.

While JP5 liquid itself was fairly stable, it was the fumes that would get you. Not a very good idea to smoke around it on a hot day, on a hot concrete tarmac, for example. We also had to purge our pockets of unnecessary items, like coins, cigarette packs, lighters/matches, candy, etc., to reduce the FOD hazard to aircraft engines. Also static electricity was a hazard we guarded against.

Most rules and regs, at least in the Navy, were written in blood or legislated after some dumbass did something stupid. I think it's roughly the same in the civilian world with many of our laws are written toward the lowest common denominator.

Many of us would probably think, hmmm, fuel, flammable. Lighting a cigarette and smoking.....probably not a good idea, I'll wait until later. Some boneheads on this planet don't think like that, or at all, so we end up with all sorts of rules to regulate the stupid people.

Edited by 55Jay
  • Like 2

If there is jet fuel in the terrorist proof cockpit I would be worried. Its usually stored in the wing tanks.

Well, there is that option, but why should you. It's the smokers who are in the wrong. I don't go into designated smoking places for obvious reasons. It isn't a simple case of smoking being fine, do it or don't do it. It's antisocial behaviour that we've been conditioned to tolerate because it's always been there. Non smokers should be standing up to smokers any time they are causing discomfort or throwing their butts into the street etc.

I would not put a but on the street due to the fines. I would not blow smoke in someones face.

If I am permitted to smoke due to Thai law I will. If not permitted I wont.

If asked to put out a cig in an open bar by a customer I wont as it is perfectly legal.

Go elswhere where regulations are stricter and you are more happy.

If there is jet fuel in the terrorist proof cockpit I would be worried. Its usually stored in the wing tanks.

You're either being obtuse or missing the obvious point.

In an accident, jet fuel is everywhere as are the volatile fumes.

Edited by Fookhaht

<snip>

As much as I hate cigarettes, not sure how smoking pilots in the cockpit smell can get to the passenger cabin.

I can think of at least one regularly occurring example of how smoke can get out a 'sealed' cockpit (assuming it does happen to be sealed)

If either pilot comes out to use the toilet, or the cabin crew take in a coffee/snack/whatever, then you're going to smell it if you're anywhere in the front half of the aircraft. A 737 ain't a big space.

Hi,

Quite often on aircraft the flight deck will get a 100% fresh air supply from one of the air conditioning packs. The air in the flight deck is provided at a slightly higher pressure than the passenger cabin to prevent any unwanted smoke or odors entering. This could cause the passengers in the cabin to be aware of a pilot smoking I guess.

The passenger cabin will get its air supply from another air conditioning pack. The cabin air will be part recycled with most of the unwanted odors vented overboard.

Each airline will have a policy regarding smoking onboard. I don't know the Nok Air policy. It may stipulate no smoking onboard. It may say passengers must not smoke onboard. It may well be a very senior management pilot abusing his position. So many variables, frustrating to some I guess. Vote with your feet and choose another carrier.

• Like 1