Thai GF wants to visit UK for 6 Months

I would appreciate some advice. Thai Girl Friend wants to visit me in the UK for 6 months when I go home. I am UK Citizen. She seems to think its easy to get the visa if I help her. The only thing I do know on the subject is, its not going to be easy. Immigration in the UK has got stricter in the last few years. What's the best visa choice? Feedback appreciated.

There is a pinned topic about this, read through that.

Main questions- How long have you been together?

What will make the person issuing the visa believe she will return home?

6 Months is a long period, I take it she has no job.

She wants or you want ?

The only visa the G/F would qualify to apply for would be a visitors visa.

She (not you) would have to be able to convince the ECO that she would intend to return to Thailand.

As most Thais would be unable to take 6 month holidays the G/F will have produce some pretty compelling argument as to why she should be given a visa.

You I fear are correct ---------mission impossible.

• Like 1

Good responses from the previous two posters.

Your girlfriend, as thepool says, would have to convince the Entry Clearance Officer that her proposed visit is genuine affordable and that she's likely to return at the end of her trip.

Whilst your girlfriend is probably aware that UK Visas are routinely issued for six months, that doesn't mean that the expectation is that she would have a six month holiday in the UK, what would she do all day?

She needs to prove that the visit is affordable, and I'm assuming that she wants you to sponsor her, you would need to convince the ECO that you could do just that but that it's reasonable to do so.

Her biggest hurdle, as has also been pointed out, is her reasons to return, I know very few people of working age who can put their careers on hold for six months to go on holiday.

Without know more about the circumstances, I think your girlfriend is going to face an uphill struggle.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. She has previously got a visa to travel in Europe as she owns several properties that she rents out and as far as I am aware she showed the Title Deeds when applying for the visa and bank statements. She currently hasnt got a full time job but plans on starting a business when she returns to Thailand. We have been together for 3 months but I haven't got any evidence to prove this. What's involved in me sponsoring her for the 6 month stay, would I have to prove I could financially support her.

If she is a person of means, then maybe she could apply in her own right and using her her funds, a sponsor isn't a requirement, in fact I would go as far to say that the majority of visitors to the UK from around the globe aren't sponsored.

Having property rented out in Thailand might convince the ECO that she financially sound, but on the other hand she doesn't need to be in Thailand to receive the rental income.

Recent travel to Europe might help.

As for your level evidence if you sponsor her financially, you would need to supply bank statements going back six months and details of your source of income.

You would need to satisfy the ECO that it's reasonable to sponsor somebody you've known for three months for a holiday lasting twice that length.

Do you work? What would her plans be? Six months is a heck of a long holiday.

Had you known each other for three years and were considering marriage and her moving to the UK to live with you then her visiting you in the UK for 6 months to 'test the water' would seem, to most people, reasonable.

But you have only known each other for three months!

Those of a suspicious mind set (e.g. Entry Clearance Officers) may think she is merely using you as a means of getting into the UK and may then disappear and overstay.

The pinned topic Beano refers to is UK visit visa basics.

• Like 1

If she is a person of means, then maybe she could apply in her own right and using her her funds, a sponsor isn't a requirement, in fact I would go as far to say that the majority of visitors to the UK from around the globe aren't sponsored.

Having property rented out in Thailand might convince the ECO that she financially sound, but on the other hand she doesn't need to be in Thailand to receive the rental income.

As for your level evidence if you sponsor her financially, you would need to supply bank statements going back six months and details of your source of income.

You would need to satisfy the ECO that it's reasonable to sponsor somebody you've known for three months for a holiday lasting twice that length.

We are in Phuket, do you have to go to Bangkok to apply for the visa in person. Do you think it would sound more realistic if we said we plan on marrying and want to spend 6 months together in the UK while I arrange various things before we both move back to live in Thailand.

Had you known each other for three years and were considering marriage and her moving to the UK to live with you then her visiting you in the UK for 6 months to 'test the water' would seem, to most people, reasonable.

But you have only known each other for three months!

Those of a suspicious mind set (e.g. Entry Clearance Officers) may think she is merely using you as a means of getting into the UK and may then disappear and overstay.

The pinned topic Beano refers to is UK visit visa basics.

I got to say if I was a ECO I wouldn't want to issue the visa.

You have to submit the application and pay the application online and the applicant then has to submit a hard copy of the application, all their supporting evidence and have their biometric details captured at the Visa Application Centre in Bangkok.

http://www.vfs-uk-th.com

Don't forget to read the pinned thread mentioned by Beano and 7by7.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

We are in Phuket, do you have to go to Bangkok to apply for the visa in person. Do you think it would sound more realistic if we said we plan on marrying and want to spend 6 months together in the UK while I arrange various things before we both move back to live in Thailand.

Do not even think about making false or misleading statements "

ECO are very well trained and can spot a scam at less than ten paces.

Making false statements could result result in the G/F being banned from making further application for 10 years.,

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. She has previously got a visa to travel in Europe as she owns several properties that she rents out and as far as I am aware she showed the Title Deeds when applying for the visa and bank statements. She currently hasnt got a full time job but plans on starting a business when she returns to Thailand. We have been together for 3 months but I haven't got any evidence to prove this. What's involved in me sponsoring her for the 6 month stay, would I have to prove I could financially support her.

Oh well that changes MANY things...

I suggest that she apply ON HER OWN, with no mention/connection to you..apply for a Visitor/Tourist Visa. Paperwork, documentation, paperwork, documentation and more paperwork. Prove the properties owned, the FUNDS to support the duration of her intended stay.. I think NOW this should be easy for her to achieve..

EVERYONE has a different set of circumstances and it truly is on a case-by-case basis.

They said it was EXTREMELY DIFFICULT for a Thai to get a USA Visa...

Well, my friend whom was 23yo, not in school, no job, no money in the bank, no property, minimal english skills got a 10year Tourist (B2) visa with my help. (In fact I filled out and prepared EVERYTHING and even went to the interview with him)

I am a uk / australian citizen living in Australia, I tried to get my thai girlfriend a visa to visit the uk with me, she was refused on the grounds that she might overstay, we only wanted 1 month, put in heaps of paperwork, got here a 3 month Aussie one, no problem,

Having already been to the UK and returned to Thailand is a huge bonus. Have a couple of friends who have gone over a few times for 3-4 months at a time. Both said the first time was a nightmare but after that you have a history of returning which makes it much easier.

One of the questions on the application form is: Did you use an agent to help you fill the form.

A big clue there?

More than 120 questions to complete.

I applied for a general visitor visa for a two / three week visit for my Wife. It was refused.

Our case is complicated by the fact that although I am a Brit citizen, we reside in Spain and she had only just completed residence in Spain.

The border control people said that they decided not to interview us and on the balance of probabilities, my wife is not sufficiently tied to Spain, that she may choose to overstay and require assistance from the government.....

She declared five grand for the trip, said I pay tax in the UK, gave my nat ins No, said that if she needed more money her husband provided everything, we are both retired.....

She declared two properties in Thailand. We gave the names addresses phone numbers of the five family and friends that we would stay with during out trip.

Good luck, but don't hold your breath.

PS we had no intention of ever living in the UK - ever!

My state pension is paid directly to my bank in Spain.

My wife has UK nat health insurance, same as me.

Marriage was Recognized by the Brit Consul in Malaga and suitably sealed and sworn.

They requested the Orig as well as the copy, which we provided.

I asked to see the officer at the time of giving the bio data at the Brit embassy Madrid but the lady said it was not necessary.

I was concerned that we had used general visitor rather than family member, but we only wanted a short visit to see my new grandson.

A total shower and I think that they have abused my civil rights as a citizen.

I couldn't believe it when it was refused.

I am a uk / australian citizen living in Australia, I tried to get my thai girlfriend a visa to visit the uk with me, she was refused on the grounds that she might overstay, we only wanted 1 month, put in heaps of paperwork, got here a 3 month Aussie one, no problem,

Immediately one can see the problem !

Someone not living in the UK invites a "foreigner" to "visit"

The ECO's alarm is instantly activated !

Good luck!! I applied for a 2 week holiday visa for my wife. Despite being married 4 years,my mother living in surrey,me owning a 300K house,having over 100 K in UK bank and having over 10 milloin in thai bank and owning 2 property here ,they said no!! The reason they said was my wife didnt have substantial money in her own account for 6 months and she might not have enough money to support herself,even though i stated that the trip would cost nothing as i was paying for it and my mother also wrotea letter confirming she would pay if need be!!

Trying again in a month but not holding my breath !!

• Like 1

OK, lets reign this in.

The OP has come onto this forum for meaningful advice, if you haven't got any genuine advice to offer, please don't post.

A number of off topic posts have been deleted, including some insulting Thai women.

• Like 1

Good luck!! I applied for a 2 week holiday visa for my wife. Despite being married 4 years,my mother living in surrey,me owning a 300K house,having over 100 K in UK bank and having over 10 milloin in thai bank and owning 2 property here ,they said no!! The reason they said was my wife didnt have substantial money in her own account for 6 months and she might not have enough money to support herself,even though i stated that the trip would cost nothing as i was paying for it and my mother also wrotea letter confirming she would pay if need be!!

Trying again in a month but not holding my breath !!

Wow!

Perhaps we need to start a class action?

This is surely an abuse of their power?

first thing i would do & did, was say she is only coming for a month.

you book a flight that the return can easily be changed when she is here from the month to within the 6 month period.

You get a 6 month visa anyway then as long as she doesn't overstay the 6 month visa you have done nothing illegal.

it just looks better on the application.

that is unless the visa has changed.

Edited by cookie1003

When I first tried to get my Tha girlfriend a visitor visa to the UK in Mar 2012 it was refused due to 'lack of evidence of relationship'. This was despite being together more than one year, all my passport stamps, flight and hotel receipts and numerous photos.

I think after only 3 months relationship, this will be the biggest problem for you, so it might be better if she applies independantly from you.

BTW, we applied again in Sep 2012 and was finally accepted for visitor visa and she came to the UK for 2 months. We were married in Thailand in Apr 2013 and she now lives with me in the UK with her settlement visa, so it is achievable but very difficult (and expensive).

• Like 2

She still got drilled at UK immigration when she arrived though! They wanted to know what she would be doing for 6 months. Which begs the question ' what would your gf be doing for 6 months?' mine is learning English, private and public classes, practicing at home and aiming for an exam next month.

If she is in the UK as a general visitor then she is breaking the conditions of that visa; general visitors cannot undertake a course of study, paid for or free, in the UK.

If she said in her application that she would be studying, she would have been refused.

If told the IO that she was going to be studying then she would almost certainly have been refused entry.

Let's hope UKVI never find out, otherwise she will have severe problems obtaining a UK visa in the future.

Of course, if she does actually have a student visitor visa, then all is ok.

As for those who have posted about refusals, it is, of course, impossible to comment accurately without seeing the exact wording of the refusal notice.

But I will say that, in my experience, the vast majority of refusals are not because the applicant didn't qualify (and certainly not because of ECO capriciousness or error, though errors do happen) but simply because the applicant, and sponsor if there was one, didn't provide the evidence to show that they qualified; for example full bank account records of both to show sufficient finances.

• Like 1

She still got drilled at UK immigration when she arrived though! They wanted to know what she would be doing for 6 months. Which begs the question ' what would your gf be doing for 6 months?' mine is learning English, private and public classes, practicing at home and aiming for an exam next month.

If she is in the UK as a general visitor then she is breaking the conditions of that visa; general visitors cannot undertake a course of study, paid for or free, in the UK.

If she said in her application that she would be studying, she would have been refused.

If told the IO that she was going to be studying then she would almost certainly have been refused entry.

Let's hope UKVI never find out, otherwise she will have severe problems obtaining a UK visa in the future.

Of course, if she does actually have a student visitor visa, then all is ok.

As for those who have posted about refusals, it is, of course, impossible to comment accurately without seeing the exact wording of the refusal notice.

But I will say that, in my experience, the vast majority of refusals are not because the applicant didn't qualify (and certainly not because of ECO capriciousness or error, though errors do happen) but simply because the applicant, and sponsor if there was one, didn't provide the evidence to show that they qualified; for example full bank account records of both to show sufficient finances.

Thanks for the very interesting post, however, On the general visitor app form on line, there was no question regarding bank accounts. There were questions like, what do you do if you need more money. The answer given was that my husband provides all I need. I have a copy of the completed application and the refusal and I could PM them if you had time to spare reviewing them. Like another poster, I would like my family to meet my wife before I die.

They use the ambiguous statement: On the balance of probabilities.....

Utter BS, why did they not contact by phone or email with any questions.

It cost 114 to pay for the bio data, plus the cost of a 1,300 km round trip, plus hotel accommodation....

They say you can appeal but they are busy and an appeal can take a year or you can reapply, fixing any perceived mistakes.....

I appealed, got a number last September I think and am still waiting.

The website will send you into loops. It is not helpful.

There only seems to be a general visitor or family member visa to apply for and they seem fixated on the idea that everyone wants to settle in the UK.

I would be happy to put up a £10,000 bond that they give back as we leave their lovely country LOL

If anyone thinks Thai immigration procedures are problematic, then they never tried the UK rules.....

Thanks for your post.

• Like 1