87 cases of sexual violence reported per day in Thailand

webfact

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE; Ms. Charee Srisawat, a representative of the WMP, said her agency conducted their research based on news about sexual violence reported by five Thai newspapers

Really? If so, why? Don't the police take the rape and physical abuse of women seriously enujgh to keep records of sexual assaults on them? One hesitates to ask about men - not just homosexuals and transexuals, either - who are attacked.

Relying on newspapers for a full picture is naive to say the least. As a former journalist I know newspapers, even if given all the information the police are willing to provide, are very selective about what they actually publish. The appalling figures quoted in the article are almost certainly just the tip of the iceberg and a more thorough investigation of the scale of the problem is urgently needed.

If the present female caretaker PM wants to dispel some of the clouds hanging over her, one of her first jobs on re-election should be to create a national commission - with involved women's and men's organisations strongly represented - to investigate the scale of the problem and suggest ways it can be reduced.

In the interim, the police should be ordered to properly investigate every reported case (not just the more sensational ones which surface in the Press), rigorously prosecute offenders and keep proper records of every incident,for publication annually.

One does not need to stay in Thailand for long to discover that women are routinely discriminated against (sadly, even by its adopted religion). When it comes to sex, women and girls are often abused not only by

misogynistic Thai men who seem to regard them as little more than toys, but frequently by their own parents and siblings who pressure them to sell their physical assets to boost the family income.

One can only applaud the work of indigenous feminists and the NGOs seeking to turn the tide of sexual violence, but only the government has the resource to help turn the tide of sexual violence against women and girls.

Over to you, Yingluck.

Although the numbers are already shocking, they are by far actual, as most cases are not reported at all. I estimated the number being 10x higher, that one in ten cases only is reported...

It makes no sense, police laughs about it, or in the most active case talks with both families and let them agree to an amount of money.

Personnally I know of a rape case, 12 year old girl, first time raped when the 20 y.o. guy was drunk, so more or less "forgiven"? Second time he thought she does not report, I have power over her and he raped her again, this time not drunk. That was too much for the girl and she reported to police, who then talked to the families. Result: 60K baht, guy free, parents of the girl bought a new motorbike cash, and the girl? Has to live with this dreadful experience!

This makes many women and girls (remember 60% is students and pupils age) not even bother to report. Last year a 15 y.o. girl was sexually abused by a teacher, who grabbed her under the skirt, she reported to the director and the teacher was sacked. No report to police, and probably the teacher is teacher in another school, with no mentioning of the reason of removal...

I agree to be shocked, although I expected quite a number, that more than 2500 teachers, guys who have a position of trust, committed sexual violence, I find it hard to accept, but what can we do? It has to start at law enforcing institutes to go for it and see that the rapist is punished the way it should. But with the mentality of Thaimen that women are only good for household, getting kids and having sex there is a whole new way of thinking needed, before there will be any change.

I personally became aware of two cases of rape in Isaan:

A 14 year old girl (virgin) was raped by a 16 year old boy. He committed the rape. His and his parent’s statement to the police: “If the family of the victim withdraws the rape report, the boy is willing to marry the girl…

A 70 year old widower brutally raped a heavily retarded girl in the same village. A police report was made and he denied the rape. The hospital doctors and a psychologist confirmed the girl was raped but the doctors refused to take DNA samples. Later the son of the rapist threatened the victim’s family to burn down their house, if they won’t agree to a 20.000 baht compensation in return for the withdrawal of the police report.

In both cases the police took no action at all. So much to the way too often often cited “moral standards” in LOS.

This is the often unacceptable side to the 'self determination', 'in charge of their own destiny', 'pragmatism', 'things getting decided by the people involved and others in the village before even getting to the police and then if the police get involved, getting no further i.e. to a court' etc. of Thai 'culture' but, of course, without it we wouldn't enjoy all the other freedoms like 'no community charge', 'being able to park outside somewhere you want to visit', 'carrying goods or more than two people on a motor-bike' etc.

I 'ran someone over' once, by accident, I might add & I wasn't 'pissed' - I was with my Thai girlfriend and we took the elderly woman I'd knocked over ) to the nearest private hospital with her son who was with her but had left her on the pavement while he'd gone into a shop (she'd then just walked out in front of the moving car) - had her 'checked over', fortunately nothing untoward (my reactions at that time being fairly quick) - paid the bill and gave the son the amount my girlfriend said to give him & everyone was happy - I dread to think of the long drawn out procedure that that accident would of attracted in the UK! This is the way our hosts deal with things, although some of it is patently not good - it seems to me that the Thai's acceptance of the human condition is much greater than that currently enshrined in the culture of the U.S. or the UK.

Those are quite shocking statistics in a country that purportedly follows the teachings of Buddha.

Like it would never happen in a Christian country?

When compared to Buddhist countries, the proportion of the country's population who actually (supposedly) follow those teachings are higher.

maybe the parents should stop telling their sons that they can do as they please and that everyone else is beneathe them, would also be good to tell them that face is not important enough to kill ot injure anyone. The way that some parents teach their sons they are gods gift to the world is sickening, everyone is equal, gender does not come into it. Time to start teaching respect for others at schools so this hopefully stops and that the parents will not keep trying to buy off the victims.

The only thing it has do to with the religion practiced here, is that if it WERE practiced here these statistics might be a great deal less.

Thank you, you saved me writing a scathing reply to uty6543 ...

And if Christianity was practiced in our countries we would not have sexual violence? Think about catholic priests. Tatsujin don't be shy reply but just keep it polite. Maybe I will realize I am wrong and understand your point of view.

Yes, us civilized westerners with our Christian upbringing would never behave like the Thais would we? See the quote from Wikipedia below.

"According to a news report on BBC One presented in 12 November 2007, there were 85,000 women raped in the UK in the previous year, equating to about 230 cases every day. The 2006-07 British Crime Survey reports that 1 in every 200 women suffered from rape in that period. It also showed that only 800 people were convicted of rape crimes that same year, meaning that less than 1 in every 100 reports of rape led to a conviction.According to a study in 2009 by the NSPCC on young people aged between 13-18, a third of girls and 16% of boys have experienced sexual violence and that as many as 250,000 teenage girls are suffering from abuse at any one time. 12% of boys and 3% of girls reported committing sexual violence against their partners."

Whilst reporting of these crimes is now encouraged far more the ever in the UK, I think it is fair to say that these stats are pretty shocking.

And this data does not cover the huge number of women and children who are too afraid to report the crimes committed against them, out of shame, obedience or fear - or a combination of all three. When you are severely traumatised you often stop acting rationally, and start fearing everybody - including the agencies who are there to help you. This problem is global, although I feel that in countries where confidence in the authorities is low, this problem is much worse.

Sexual assault of a child should carry a mandatory life sentence, life meaning life, and this should only be handed down when the evidence is as clear-cut as possible. I am at my most hard-line on this issue, I don't believe in second chances or forgiveness for this particular crime. Rape of adults should also carry heavy sentences, again following a fair trial with sufficient evidence. In all cases the victims should be offered extensive counselling, and assistance with relocation if they want this.

A good overview and I couldn't agree more with you. Some years ago I used to work with perpetrators, As much as I tried I could never understand offences against children. Rape of anyone is so grim in any society, and I still get a sickening gut reaction if I read about one. Unfortunately I suspect in Thailand this report is the tip of a very pervasive iceberg, based on some deeply entrenched feudal beliefs and values.

• Like 1

Yes it is very worrying, and it's a poor reflection on any country.

Thailand should really look at making punishment fit the crime, - ( for any, and all criminal acts. )

Edited by NeilSA1

are the hookers getting to expensive for the locals that they have to go rape women ???

cut of their thingie or chemical castration, only option

or sponsor their sex change , and put them in a male prison, so they can feel, many times per day, what they did to their victims !

Probably the real number is double than that. I asked a Thai woman what is the reason for show up on first dates with a friend or friends. Custom? She responded that it is a custom to avoid gossips and misunderstandings, but also because Thai men will always try to seduce a woman if alone, in good or bad ways. She said that in countryside areas, many very young girls are raped by friends or relatives and never reported, and that is the main reason for teens pregnancy. This woman was a teacher in an elementary school, and she said that is one of the big issues confronted in the counseling department. Years later, I met an university foreign teacher, and she commented that is happening also with university students. Looks like that Thai men do not know what the word NO means, and Thai girls are too submissive to say NO more than 2 times.

By the way....looks like Thai women also have that attitude when are meeting farangs..... alone....just saying NO one time to not lose face....expecting to be "raped" anyway...Sometimes generalized bad actions became a "custom" in some cultures.....and are not easy to understand to foreigners.

Edited by thailampang2012

It's all down to lack of punishment both here in Thailand and many countries worldwide.

Basic rape should be minimum 10 years imprisonment

Rape with injury..20 years

Rape causing death.. .death penalty.

All too often it is little more than a slap on the wrist, a few thousand baht compensation, marry the girl or the police failing in their duty to do anything about the reports.

Apparently CM hospitals attempt 300 penis reattachments per year.

What penalty do you think the woman should get?

It's all down to lack of punishment both here in Thailand and many countries worldwide.

All too often it is little more than a slap on the wrist, a few thousand baht compensation, marry the girl or the police failing in their duty to do anything about the reports.

¨rape with injury 20 years¨

+ castration

Apparently CM hospitals attempt 300 penis reattachments per year.

What penalty do you think the woman should get?

this is telling us so much about what kind of a country is this, I am widely generalizing but....

men are useless morons who can not manage to have sex with locals without pay, and as they can not pay they rape.

And women are crazy bitches who get mad and chop their couple peckers when they have some trouble.

Probably the real number is double than that. I asked a Thai woman what is the reason for show up on first dates with a friend or friends. Custom? She responded that it is a custom to avoid gossips and misunderstandings, but also because Thai men will always try to seduce a woman if alone, in good or bad ways. She said that in countryside areas, many very young girls are raped by friends or relatives and never reported, and that is the main reason for teens pregnancy. This woman was a teacher in an elementary school, and she said that is one of the big issues confronted in the counseling department. Years later, I met an university foreign teacher, and she commented that is happening also with university students. Looks like that Thai men do not know what the word NO means, and Thai girls are too submissive to say NO more than 2 times.

By the way....looks like Thai women also have that attitude when are meeting farangs..... alone....just saying NO one time to not lose face....expecting to be "raped" anyway...Sometimes generalized bad actions became a "custom" in some cultures.....and are not easy to understand to foreigners.

I would like to second you on the point about rural areas. My best friend here in Thailand, a single Mum with two young daughters, she is born and raised in Issan and when her two daughters were born she packed her bags and moved to Bangkok.

In her words ; "Boys in province are very rough towards girls. I want my girls to grow up in the city schools, and far away from the province boys."

She went from working one job in Issan, to working three jobs plus loans in Bangkok to pay for the rents and schooling here. And she did all that just so her daughters would not have the same experiences that she had when she was a young girl in the 'province'.

I pointed out to her that maybe she was just unlucky in her own experiences, and that maybe city schools were no safer for her girls. She said that it was common knowledge here that big city schools are safer for girls, and that is one of the main reasons that mothers move from rural areas to the capital, despite the huge extra expense involved.

I personally became aware of two cases of rape in Isaan:

A 14 year old girl (virgin) was raped by a 16 year old boy. He committed the rape. His and his parent’s statement to the police: “If the family of the victim withdraws the rape report, the boy is willing to marry the girl…

A 70 year old widower brutally raped a heavily retarded girl in the same village. A police report was made and he denied the rape. The hospital doctors and a psychologist confirmed the girl was raped but the doctors refused to take DNA samples. Later the son of the rapist threatened the victim’s family to burn down their house, if they won’t agree to a 20.000 baht compensation in return for the withdrawal of the police report.

In both cases the police took no action at all. So much to the way too often often cited “moral standards” in LOS.

And the boy was willing to marry her??? I hope she said NO!

I can imagine how kind he would be to her after being "empowered" by marriage.

Those are quite shocking statistics in a country that purportedly follows the teachings of Buddha.

Does anyone think this has anything to do with the religion practiced here. This is more to do with Thai men's lack of respect for women.

How about foreigners? Thai women have often complained to me that foreigners assume that they are prostitutes.

Does anyone think this has anything to do with the religion practiced here. This is more to do with Thai men's lack of respect for women.

The only thing it has do to with the religion practiced here, is that if it WERE practiced here these statistics might be a great deal less.

Thank you, you saved me writing a scathing reply to uty6543 ...

So easily satisfied by a squirt of semantic diarrhea. Pathetic.

The abuse offends and disturbs me, and I take on board the extreme likelihood of numerous unreported cases, BUT these statistics are garnered from newspaper reports. That is not "scientific". Whatsmore, the stats are gathered from a number of newspapers....there is a very real possibility that an incident of rape reported in 5 papers results in 5 rapes being counted in the stats. That skews the stats radically.

That rant aside.....paedophiles should face death penalty. Society does not need to (or can) "reform" them. Society does not need them.

How about foreigners? Thai women have often complained to me that foreigners assume that they are prostitutes.
Doesn't matter about foreigners, the vast majority of the attacks are Thai on Thai as reported. Edited by Tatsujin

The youngest victim of sexual violence in the official records is a 1 year 9 months old girl, the oldest is a 85 years-old woman, Ms. Yanee said, while the youngest perpetrator in sexual violence is a 10 year old boy who participated in a gang rape.

Who has that demonic mind that still has the desire for 85 years old woman?

Even if offered to me free, never mind...I rather run away biggrin.png

The youngest victim of sexual violence in the official records is a 1 year 9 months old girl, the oldest is a 85 years-old woman, Ms. Yanee said, while the youngest perpetrator in sexual violence is a 10 year old boy who participated in a gang rape.

Who has that demonic mind that still has the desire for 85 years old woman?

Even if offered to me free, never mind...I rather run away biggrin.png

And if the lady be your wife. ?????