Navy vessel sunk near Phuket to make new dive site

bazmlb

PHUKET: An ancient Royal Thai Navy transport support vessel, the HTMS Kletkaew, went to a watery grave yesterday (March 19) just off Phi Phi Leh Island, where it is expected to attract coral and marine life, and become a popular dive site.

navy.jpg

The Kletkaew was built in 1948 for the Norwegian Royal Navy, being launched initially as the RnoMS Norfrost. Eight years later it was acquired and renamed by the Royal Thai Navy (RTN).

Before the 382-ton, 47-metre vessel was sunk, several holes were cut through the hull to assist in the sinking and also to allow skilled divers to explore the interior.

The sinking, a joint action by the RTN and the Dept of Marine & Coastal Resources, was presided over by Capt Nantapon Malarat, Deputy Chief of Staff of the Tab Lamu Naval Base in Phang Nga.

http://www.thephuketnews.com/navy-vessel-sunk-near-phuket-to-make-new-dive-site-45266.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-3-21

• Like 2

I thought it was to be "use" for a certain submarine............whistling.gif

Explain please.

Did I or did I not read that LOS was contemplating or has bought second hand subs........? facepalm.gif

There were contemplating getting one about 6 years ago.

Explain please.

Did I or did I not read that LOS was contemplating or has bought second hand subs........? facepalm.gif

Are you asking me what you read?

• Like 1

Explain please.

Are you asking me what you read?

Tut Tut, l think it obvious I was talking to myself. rolleyes.gif

I do that quite a lot...............laugh.png

• Like 1

I thought the US might want to buy it to "upgrade" their fleet due to the problem with the National Debtcheesy.gif I know who they should name it after..........ha ha

Explain please.

There were contemplating getting one about 6 years ago.

Probably someone with some grey matter between his ears pointed out that most of Thailand's coastal waters are less than 40 meters deep.

I mean name any country that would buy an aircraft carrier with out any aircraft for it?

whistling.gif