Data roaming prices outside Thailand?

Sandman77

Soon I must go for visa run to Cambodia

Try to find out data roaming coasts with Thai sim

12 call says 1990 thb only for 100 mb

But we have also higher package

Of 1 gb of 9500 baht that's a real no deal

How about coasts on true and dtac did not call them yet

DTAC, TrueMove H and AIS have all the details re: international data roaming on their web-sites.

AIS has a lot of regional packages, DTAC has just a few (350 baht/day for 25 MB, and 2,599 baht for 7 days/500 MB), TrueMove H has some unlimited plans.

TrueMove H lists METFONE has their partner in Cambodia.

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/international_services/roaming_services/all

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/international_services/roaming_services/entry/2240

http://www.ais.co.th/roaming/en/index.aspx

Make sure to check frequencies and coverage

I was just in Cambodia on AIS and had no real intention of using data but needed it at one meeting. Got charged 500 odd baht per mb.

Rang them up and got a package from AIS 899 baht for 40mb which lasted all of one day.

For cambo best bet is to get a local sim.

When roaming, it's good to know how much data is being transferred.

Few weeks ago I did a quick check how large some of the front pages of selected medias actually are, including adds. (wget -E -H -k -K -p).

4.2M www.nationmultimedia.com

3.5M www.phuketgazette.net
4.4M www.thephuketnews.com
5.5M www.thaivisa.com
3.7M www.sanook.com
1.4M www.yahoo.com
88K www.google.com

Few weeks ago I did a quick check how large some of the front pages of selected medias actually are, including adds. (wget -E -H -k -K -p).

5.5M www.thaivisa.com
3.7M www.sanook.com
1.4M www.yahoo.com
88K www.google.com

That's more than Bt10,000 right there.

biggrin.png

5.5M www.thaivisa.com
3.7M www.sanook.com
1.4M www.yahoo.com
88K www.google.com

That's more than Bt10,000 right there.

biggrin.png

Correct. Every couple of minutes I was getttng SMS's from AIS saying 'You've hit 500 baht in usage, 1000, baht in usage, 1500 baht in usage, 2000 baht in usage".

I turned it off when I got to 2000 baht.

The thing was I was relying on wifi my entire time I was there, which worked, until a 15 minute meeting where I had no wifi access. 2000 baht right there checking a few websites for research...

Slightly off topic but something to watch out for is what has happened to me a couple of times recently in Vietnam which has similarly ridiculous data roaming charges as Samran mentioned about Cambodia

I have a Nokia Lumia 920 with AIS post paid. Data connection is set to on but data roaming is set to off. Everywhere else that works fine. About half an hour after landing in Saigon I noticed that I was receiving emails. I quickly switched off the data connection and left it that way until back in BKK where I switched it on again. A couple of weeks later back in Saigon I forgot about that. Same story but this time it was about an hour before I noticed emails coming in.

The first time cost THB800 and the second THB1500. I briefly considered complaining to AIS but then thought again and flagged it.

Whose fault is that? AIS, the Viet roaming partner or Nokia? Anyone got any idea?

Slightly off topic but something to watch out for is what has happened to me a couple of times recently in Vietnam which has similarly ridiculous data roaming charges as Samran mentioned about Cambodia

I have a Nokia Lumia 920 with AIS post paid. Data connection is set to on but data roaming is set to off. Everywhere else that works fine. About half an hour after landing in Saigon I noticed that I was receiving emails. I quickly switched off the data connection and left it that way until back in BKK where I switched it on again. A couple of weeks later back in Saigon I forgot about that. Same story but this time it was about an hour before I noticed emails coming in.

The first time cost THB800 and the second THB1500. I briefly considered complaining to AIS but then thought again and flagged it.

Whose fault is that? AIS, the Viet roaming partner or Nokia? Anyone got any idea?

tough one as I guess I'm supposed to be clever enough to know better.

Good thing about VN is that AIS has a 350 baht per day unlimted package which I signed onto after the cambo experience. They actually have it for most countries so I tend to sign up for that package. Still not as good as getting a local SIM, but I've already got 7 or 8 SIMS in my wallet.