washing machine madness

padsterj

For some unknown reason my Mrs wont use a washing machine here in Thailand,

yet back in UK she didn't mind using the front loader, she insists on doing all the washing by hand in the bath,is it a Thai thing or just my wierd lady lol.I haven't seen any front loading machines here either, they all seem to be twin tubs is there a reason for this or am i not looking in the right places :)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She drives me to distraction with her washing machine quirks.

Putting ridiculous amounts of conditioner in so everything smells nice even though nothing is washed properly and everything has streaks due to cramming the machine full.

Then leaving the washing in the machine for a couple of days to fester before hanging it out.

She will then put the dried clothes in the dirty laundry basket instead of the clean basket and the whole process starts again.

As for ironing....well i do it myself.

It feels good to get this off my chest on here and air my dirty linen in public.

I know what you mean! my wife is the only one I know who can stuff 20 lbs of dirty washing into a 7 lb drum!..... for an encore the central heating is run off the built in clothes drier. And don't ask me about my Electric Bill,that really is a sore point!

• Like 1

Putting ridiculous amounts of conditioner in so everything smells nice even though nothing is washed properly and everything has streaks due to cramming the machine full.

Then leaving the washing in the machine for a couple of days to fester before hanging it out.

She will then put the dried clothes in the dirty laundry basket instead of the clean basket and the whole process starts again.

It feels good to get this off my chest on here and air my dirty linen in public.

Shouldn't this post be in the "Are All Thais Illogical" thread?

• Like 1

Just seen what she's washed in the bath sigh :( its the bed clothes ect did she take duevet out of cover....did she flip no duvet on bed tonight then but i have got 4 large bath towels to sleep with lol no sheets pillow cases ect,we don't stay at the condo much so not a lot here if i would have known she was washing the bed stuff id have nipped out and grabbed some sheets and stuff,to be fair though i wouldn't have guessed i would need a duvet !

Do you remove your clothes before she washes them? If not it will defintely save you money and she can have a "ball" or two while she washes them! Watching Thai women wash even using a washing machine is like looking at a page in a comic book!

Edited by wayned
  • Like 2

Looks like your Mrs. :)

We have a front loader - Samsung - and works great. Saves a lot of time, although with a few delicates the wife prefers handwash to handwash setting by the machine

You could even do the washing for her if you get one! and make a claim on all the time she saves biggrin.png

Don't be so quick to jump in with the ironing though biggrin.png

Cheers

Fletch :)

Our rental condo came with a top loader and I can make it produce clean laundry IF I don't fill it more than 1/2 full, but set the water level on high and use a full measure of detergent with oxy-clean bleach AND use the super soak cycle, which takes over an hour. With that cycle, the tub fills full, churns around a for a time and then sits there, with a little churn every few minutes, basically letting the laundry soak for about 1/2 hours. That cycle results in laundry that is clean.

Oh yeah, a couple capfuls of Downy in the rinse cycle helps a lot, too, along with promptly hanging the laundry once the cycle is complete.

• Like 2

^^ clean implies 60°C or more in many cases. washing powder only doesn't do the job at all. i'm talking underwear and stuff.

there's a difference between getting rid of stains and stuff and getting rid of fecal traces (nasty bacteria) moreover since many bacteria actually feel great in 30-40°C water and their volume will actually grow during washing...

Also most top loaders are cold water washing machines.

A decent front loader hot water machine cost at least 3x more compared to the cold water ones so most Thai buy the cheap ones.

It's difficult to get stains like grease or blood out of clothes with cold water.

Pathetic. Can't you lift a finger?

I do the washing with front loader and my girlfriend hangs the clothes and do the ironing. She is not great at separating the color from the white.

If she want to washes some by hand, up to her.

After a while, I noticed that when I travel away, she use the machine.....

Also most top loaders are cold water washing machines.

A decent front loader hot water machine cost at least 3x more compared to the cold water ones so most Thai buy the cheap ones.

It's difficult to get stains like grease or blood out of clothes with cold water.

I think some of the detergents are formulated to work in cold water and look for words like oxy-clean, oxy-magic -- basically oxygen bleach that does a good job of removing blood, fecal and food stains (even from colored fabrics) if allowed to soak for a time in tepid water. (These words may be written in transliterated Thai on the package) I discovered this type of detergent when we lived here part-time and actually took it back to the U.S. because we didn't have anything like it there, at least at the time.

I don't think you need to be boiling your clothes to get them clean if you have the proper detergents and soak time.

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 1

Bought an expensive Japanese brand machine...very high tech electronics...simple to use...over half the time...my lady squats over a water hose and wash basin...doing what she knows best...if she is happy...then I am happy...

• Like 1

Pathetic. Can't you lift a finger?

I lift two fingers ....when i do the ironing.