Non O - how long before getting kicked out...

Hi

Having a Non O marriage , if my wife was to pass away before I do, how long can I stay in Thailand before I'm asked to move out by immigration? Is the visa canceled the on the date the wife passes away or is there a grace period?

If you are on an extension of stay, theoretically the reason for the extension has terminated on the day that she dies and your permission to stay ends that day and you would be on overstay. It has been reported that immigration does give some time but nothing definite and you will,have to look for another way of staying.

It's a bitch. Your wife has a car acccident, your wife and child are killed and yoou have llived here for years but you are immediately in violation of the immigration law and could be deported before the funeral! Unfortunately that's the law!

A visa or an entry from it would not be cancelled.

If you had an extension of stay the reason for your extension upon the death of you wife would go away. But immigration would not be notified until you do it yourself and you would be allowed some time to apply for an extension based upon another reason or to leave the country for a visa.

If you are on an extension of stay, theoretically the reason for the extension has terminated on the day that she dies and your permission to stay ends that day and you would be on overstay. It has been reported that immigration does give some time but nothing definite and you will,have to look for another way of staying.

It's a bitch. Your wife has a car acccident, your wife and child are killed and yoou have llived here for years but you are immediately in violation of the immigration law and could be deported before the funeral! Unfortunately that's the law!

Not all that bad. Get a tourist visa, 'study Thai' for an Ed. visa, or get a 'job' for a NON IMM B visa, followed by a yearly extension, a retirement visa, there are so many possibilities, most of my friends are not married, and are here for life.