Golfing newbie questions

Bluetongue

I have recently started playing golf at Soi Dao Highland out east in Chantaburi. I’ve been playing 9 holes but am now ready to step up to 18. I’ve been using a caddy and an electric cart. The cart will be 650baht every week for 18 holes. I always intended after I got a little fitness back to walk the course and was going to buy a buggy to drag myself but;

I’ve now found going through old posts that a caddy is “mandatory”. I have never used one before Thailand. OK so I don’t know what they will do if I don’t hire a cart, I have seen them pulling buggies which I presumed were the player’s. But I did see another post which referred to the caddy getting some sort of buggy to put the bag on I guess I will find out. The fee for the caddy is 300 for 18 plus a tip so that would be about 500, not really the issue although I would prefer not to pay it if I didn’t have to. I find they want to go too fast and I’m interested in playing at a relaxed pace not zooming around in a cart that’s for sure. Also their advice is a bit random and not really all that helpful to me, I put pretty good anyway and can read greens OK, I just like to take my time with drives and fairway shots. Maybe I’ll find a playing partner yet as I have been chatting to a couple of other players but at the moment I’m on my own.

As I have another reason to go to Bangkok I thought I could buy a buggy there, anyone know where, the online sites don’t seem to have them. Penny for your thoughts guys.

• Like 1

On all the courses I've played in Thailand a caddy is mandatory. If you hire a cart, they drive, if "walking" they pull the clubs on a trolley. I've had one male caddy who carried the clubs.

I've just worked out how much golf will cost in Thailand if I played 3 times a week and the caddy cost is the biggest (if you join a club) 600*3*52 = 93,600 baht = £1,800.

So in summary the cost of hiring a caddy is ruining the idea of playing golf frequently in Thailand.

Good luck if you find any good courses where you don't need a caddy. If you find any let us know.

As for buying your own cart, I'm not sure clubs would allow you to use one,its a way for them to make loads of money.

• Like 2

I've been playing golf in LOS for nearly 40 years and the courses have always required caddies. They always carried the bags in the early days but started using pull carts sometime in the late 80's. The pull carts are provided by the caddy or the club so you don't have to worry about that.

Golf carts started appearing sometime in the 90's at courses in BKK and then spread throughout the country. Now they are mandatory at many clubs.

I have played Soi Dao many times and if you can walk that....you are a better man than I, Gunga Din.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Puyai:

Give him the name of the caddy-free golf course. Soi Dao is a long way from Chiang Mai as well.

• Like 1

What's this "relaxed pace" crap?

You play fast enough to keep up with the group in front of you. You play slower then that and you're holding up the entire course behind you. You hold up play behind you, you should know those behind aren't speaking kindly of your existence on earth.

the truth is caddies sometime cause slow play. I've had some caddies who I often have to wait for them to get to the ball....anyway...this isn't a caddy thread..

You play fast enough to keep up with the group in front of you. You play slower then that and you're holding up the entire course behind you. You hold up play behind you, you should know those behind aren't speaking kindly of your existence on earth.

Man I'm not holding anybody up, but two weeks ago I played through three groups in 9 holes, I would have been happy to slow down to their pace. I also understand the ethics but its a game not a race. Besides we are talking mid week at Soi Dao usually not that many out there as I find most of the Thai men seem to arrive later than I do, perhaps its because I live quite close by.

Edited by Bluetongue

I've been playing golf in LOS for nearly 40 years and the courses have always required caddies. They always carried the bags in the early days but started using pull carts sometime in the late 80's. The pull carts are provided by the caddy or the club so you don't have to worry about that.

Golf carts started appearing sometime in the 90's at courses in BKK and then spread throughout the country. Now they are mandatory at many clubs.

I have played Soi Dao many times and if you can walk that....you are a better man than I, Gunga Din.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Puyai:

Give him the name of the caddy-free golf course. Soi Dao is a long way from Chiang Mai as well.

I hope I can walk it I've seen others doing so its no worse I don't reckon than Gailes in Brisbane just that big mountain behind you all the time. We'll see.

I my opinion, golf is a game meant to be walked...I hate cart golf and refuse to play any course that makes it mandatory. It's ridiculous to force people to have both a caddie and a cart. One of the reasons, I'll never live in Thailand full time...

• Like 2

Man I'm not holding anybody up, but two weeks ago I played through three groups in 9 holes, I would have been happy to slow down to their pace. I also understand the ethics but its a game not a race. Besides we are talking mid week at Soi Dao usually not that many out there as I find most of the Thai men seem to arrive later than I do, perhaps its because I live quite close by.

Those weren't golfers you had to play through. Maybe business execs wrapping up a big deal? Bird watchers? Golf attire models on a photo shoot? Boozers trying to "finish another round"?

Not sure what they were, but definitely not golfers!

qdinthailand

Those weren't golfers you had to play through. Maybe business execs wrapping up a big deal? Bird watchers? Golf attire models on a photo shoot? Boozers trying to "finish another round"?

Not sure what they were, but definitely not golfers!

qdinthailand

At least one of them was pissed I'm sure a farang with a loud voice and a propensity to kick his wife's ball so not so serious maybe. But I think my caddy was on a mission to get back in the caddy queue as he was only doing a 9 and he put the word on the other caddies

As as regular golfer in Thai, I can tell you this

A caddy is mandatory, and some make good money, if they do 2 rounds a day they make about 1,000thb.

Using a cart is not mandatory, if you want to walk, it is up to you, don't listen to the caddies whinging.

The caddy is responsible for everything, all you need to do is regularly hit the ball.

Most Thais will not let a farlang play through regardless of how slow they maybe, and that even includes 6 ball groups.

The caddy tip is up to you, most Thais tip about 100thb, and they will want the girls phone no.if she is a looker.

If the caddy is too slow, change the caddy at half way.

When you get to the course, if you don't like the caddy for some reason, choose another, it is your right.

Good luck

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thanks

So the Thai tip is smaller, most people here are talking 300, I've been tipping 100 for 9 but it is very provincial here, 300 is the going rate for labour for one day

My mistake. For some reason I thought the OP was in Chiang Mai.

Takhli Air Force Course, Chianat. 180 Baht a round.

Still a good 5 hr drive.

yes a long way from everywhere but thanks anyway, I'll keep it in mind if I ever go golfing safari

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

There is only one course that I know of in Thailand were caddies are not mandatory but it's a long way from Chiang Mai.

Where??

See above

I also attempted to buy my own pull cart or "buggy" and found that none of the stores I went to carried them. In America, they all had them, but here, all the courses have caddies, so who will buy a pull cart if they had one in stock? You can probably get someplace to order one for you, but like someone else said, most (if not all) courses require you use their caddie. If you find a good one, get their number and call them ahead of time and most will take themselves out of the que to wait for you. Caddies can be very useful, to be sure. After playing in Thailand for a couple of years, I made a trip back to California. When I went to the golf course, I was hit with the reality that I have to pull my own bag, find my own ball, determine the break on the green myself, figure out the yardage, etc. Learn to enjoy the caddie, and have fun playing golf.

Edited by JimMagee

If you tip 300 baht I'm amazed you don't have the pick of the caddies. There is definitely a pecking order and caddies often pick you not the other way round.

Tell the caddy she goes too fast. Tell her you can pick your own line on the green. If she doesn't slow down a little and let you use your own line just pick another caddy.

I pay 200 tip for 9 holes and I have a good chat and laugh with the caddies they always tell me to call them next time I go so the tip is obviously OK.

I can't see the courses or the caddies wanting you to use your own cart.

As for you wanting to slow a bit, if you are playing alone at present in a car you are bound to be faster than groups.

Takhli Air Force Wing 4 Golf Course is actually in Nakhon Sawan province. It should be noted that if you did go out of your way to play there, the chances are you won't be allowed to. They don't want foreigners entering their base (you could be a spy who is going to steal some of their advanced technology). To play there you have to get a special visitors pass and to get one of those, you need to be known by people connected to the course.

If you do want to buy golf gear in Bangkok, head to Thaniya Plaza, Soi Thaniya, Silom Road. Heaps of golf shops all in that building.

Have played Gailes a lot and know what you mean by the terrain. Walking

18 there always a test on a hot day. Was also a member at McLeods at Westlake - the walk up to the 16th otherwise known as heart attack hill.

Also suggest a trip down to Hua Hin - many great courses to suit all levels of player. See the guy at The Evergreen (John I think). He's a golfing nut and sets up games for his guests at any course you want to play. He's got all the gear you'll need. Great relaxed place to stay.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

There is only one course that I know of in Thailand were caddies are not mandatory but it's a long way from Chiang Mai.

Where??

Look at post 6 and u find what ur looking for

I my opinion, golf is a game meant to be walked...I hate cart golf and refuse to play any course that makes it mandatory. It's ridiculous to force people to have both a caddie and a cart. One of the reasons, I'll never live in Thailand full time...

Not a reason not to live in Thailand full time but i totally agree that walking won't kill anyone...

Using a cart is not mandatory, if you want to walk, it is up to you, don't listen to the caddies whinging.

Using a cart is mandatory on a number of courses.

Actually no. RENTING one can be mandatory, but there's no rule that you can't just let the caddy drive it while you walk.

Not a reason not to live in Thailand full time but i totally agree that walking won't kill anyone...

It is for me since I enjoy playing regularly and it makes it more expensive than it needs to be. There are of course other reasons that makes me prefer to be a regular visitor as opposed to a more regular resident.

• 2 months later...