Windows 7 BSOD after new version of Firefox

astral

I have had the Blue Screen of Death twice in two days :bah:

A problem with ntfs.sys is the message

I have run chkdsk and scanned for Malware - All clean

The only new programme I can think of is FireFox v 28.0

Anyone with this problem?

Find a source for FireFox where you can verify it by HASH code (MD5 / SHA-1).

The version you have may be corrupted, though it should have self-tested itself as it installed. A google search shows you are not special. Many people over the years, so not specific to this version of FireFox.

A few years ago someone on tomshardware.com reported a similar issue involving FireFox and ntfs.sys. Their issue seems to have been caused by a bad block on their hard drive, resolved through a third-party software defrag.

NTFS.sys BSODs are almost always related to filesystem corruption (and chkdsk does not detect all of the kinds of corruption) or errors on the HDD. I am pretty sure the Firefox update is not the cause of your problem.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Why not run Windows 7 Repair from your Win 7 installation disk and see if that fixes the problem with NTFS.sys. If the problem persists try changing your video drivers. Either roll back to an older version or install a newer version. I've seen lots of problems caused by AMD drivers.

If scan disk showed no problems, then it could be a dependent DLL or even NTFS.DLL itself corrupted. Few things to try (before doing the dreaded reinstall of OS).

1. Boot up in safe mode and see if you still have problems - if not could be a 3rd party driver - or virus/malware.

2. Try restoring to an earlier restore point - before you installed FF if that is the point you started having issues.

3. Try the SFC /SCANNOW Command (in elevated command prompt - in the box at the bottom of the start menu, type command, when Command Prompt appears, right click and click Run as Administrator - even if you are logged in as such)

4. Use Windows CD (or recovery disk) to do a recovery

5. Go to windows backup - or reinstall the OS - should not have got this far though. Back up everything first of course.

By the way, what was the BSOD code - it can help determine the problem

Edited by wolf5370
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the input

The problem has not come again, so far.

I downloaded the Slimdrivers programme and updated the video drivers

There are other drivers that need updating, but I will hold off for the time being

and see what happens

Thanks for all the input

The problem has not come again, so far.

I downloaded the Slimdrivers programme and updated the video drivers

There are other drivers that need updating, but I will hold off for the time being

and see what happens

Doesn't hurt to install the other drivers; it gives you the option of creating a Restore Point first. And they are coming from the vendors.