Do I need a lawyer for K1 US Visa?

Has anyone had experience either using a lawyer or doing the K1 Visa by themselves. The girlfriend and I have been together for 3 years and would like to get married this summer. We're living in Chiang Mai. All the places I found online seem to be outrageously expensive (like anywhere from 500 to 2000 dollars). Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Unless your case is special in some way, like needing a waiver for accruing unlawful presence in the U.S. or some kind of ban, then no you don't need a lawyer. It's a waste of money. If you can file your own taxes, then you can do this. It's pretty simple. I'd suggest looking at visajourney.com.

Thanks. The only thing that might be unique is that we are both young (me 28 and her 24) and are both students. I'm going to be started my Masters in Thailand at Chula, so I don't meet the financial requirements. I have read that it is possible to have somebody co-sponsor, which my parents are happy to do.

We are concerned about the whole green card thing, as we haven't thought about living in the States. We pretty much want to be able to go to America for the ceremony and then to be able to go visit home once a year.

Thanks. The only thing that might be unique is that we are both young (me 28 and her 24) and are both students. I'm going to be started my Masters in Thailand at Chula, so I don't meet the financial requirements. I have read that it is possible to have somebody co-sponsor, which my parents are happy to do.

We are concerned about the whole green card thing, as we haven't thought about living in the States. We pretty much want to be able to go to America for the ceremony and then to be able to go visit home once a year.

If you don't plan on living in the U.S., a K-1 visa isn't the right visa. A tourist visa would be better. A K-1 visa is a single entry visa that requires the foreign national to get married within 90 days or leave the U.S. I suppose you could use it for a one time visa, but you're going to spend a lot of money and wait 6-9 months to get it.

Hmmm. I'm worried about the tourist visa.. we've applied for that for a visit and it didn't work. If we were already married, would that make it easier?

I don't personally have any experience with tourist visas. From what I've read here, it seems like getting married might make it worse. They key is providing evidence that your girlfriend/wife will return to Thailand. Having a steady job in Thailand, owning a house, having children etc. People that I thought would never get a tourist visa, have gotten approved, and people that I thought were a lock for an approval, have gotten denied.

• 4 weeks later...

Hmmm. I'm worried about the tourist visa.. we've applied for that for a visit and it didn't work. If we were already married, would that make it easier?

If you're going for a K1 or K3 visa, you're going to need to show that you can support your spouse in the US. If you have sponsors, that might work. But whatever you do, don't misrepresent that you want a K1 or K3 when you only intend to visit. Have solid plans for moving to the U.S., or you'll be denied.

If you're going for a K1 or K3 visa, you're going to need to show that you can support your spouse in the US. If you have sponsors, that might work. But whatever you do, don't misrepresent that you want a K1 or K3 when you only intend to visit. Have solid plans for moving to the U.S., or you'll be denied.

K-3 visas are almost impossible to obtain, and have been since roughly 2009. The right marriage visa is a CR-1/IR-1.