Advance voting for Senate sees low turnout

webfact

When you have an entire province that has only 45 registered voters for an advance election, and none show up, and when the better turn-out provinces achieve 2.5 % turnout - there is something called voter apathy. Big time. Pheu Thai and the UDD are all gearing to go for an election, that they are convinced the people want. But the people are not showing up - not even a great deal of their own supporters. There was no disruption at the polls. People were simply uninterested, that's all. The Thai people want reform before an election. The polls indicate that. And the voter turnout indicates that.

I think that's not quite accurate, but why not put this to the test and hold a referendum as to whether they want reformation first or not..

If the MAJORITY, say yes, then fine, I think you'll find that it's not about allegiances, but more the fact the normal Thai person is just pig sick of the ALL of the recent shenanigans since November last year.

I think you're mistaken voter apathy as a NO to the current Government, given the amount of demonstrations and vote blocking, even up in Korat and the village where I am, most people knew the election would be voided, but they voted anyway, what else was there to do on a Sunday morning that took up 30 seconds of their lives.

Most of them also knew that without the Dems running it was a waste of time, most also didn't share a love for Thaksin either, they said he was a very bad man who stole money from Buddha, and I've yet to see, as claimed by many here that every house in the Red Lands have photos of Thaksin, the only photos I've seen are of the King, the Royal Family and deceased family members.

The Thai people are over 69 million of them, when you get feedback from the referendum and 36 Million say they want reforms, I'll support your posts most.

Until then, you're speculating that the Thai people want reforms before an election. ;)

When you have an entire province that has only 45 registered voters for an advance election, and none show up, and when the better turn-out provinces achieve 2.5 % turnout - there is something called voter apathy. Big time. Pheu Thai and the UDD are all gearing to go for an election, that they are convinced the people want. But the people are not showing up - not even a great deal of their own supporters. There was no disruption at the polls. People were simply uninterested, that's all. The Thai people want reform before an election. The polls indicate that. And the voter turnout indicates that.

With the Senate candidates being 'somewhat' independent of political parties and therefor the political party campaign circus missing you might have another reason for lack of interest. Also we have candidates PER province. Furthermore the Senate function is less direct than the parliamentary government with PM and cabinet.

Personally I doubt that 'only' 77 out of 150 senators being elected has something to do with the voter turnout.

I never checked, but anyone here who has historical figures on number of voters / percentage of voters for past senate elections?

Will be interesting to see what that "reform" will be. My guess is auction-like populist promises, whoever makes the largest promises (lies), wins. anything else, like starting to really root out corruption would hit the voters themselves.

Well, I guess that would depend on who's in charge of formulation reforms. Your description may fit the 'reform committee' which was introduced by Ms. Yingluck three months ago,

The PDRC meanwhile is slowly and carefully writing a framework for reforms , them being fully aware that more input is needed and more and broader involvement.

Anyway, none of this seems to have any relation with the 'low turnout for advance voting for Senate candidates'

I think that's not quite accurate, but why not put this to the test and hold a referendum as to whether they want reformation first or not..

If the MAJORITY, say yes, then fine, I think you'll find that it's not about allegiances, but more the fact the normal Thai person is just pig sick of the ALL of the recent shenanigans since November last year.

I think you're mistaken voter apathy as a NO to the current Government, given the amount of demonstrations and vote blocking, even up in Korat and the village where I am, most people knew the election would be voided, but they voted anyway, what else was there to do on a Sunday morning that took up 30 seconds of their lives.

Most of them also knew that without the Dems running it was a waste of time, most also didn't share a love for Thaksin either, they said he was a very bad man who stole money from Buddha, and I've yet to see, as claimed by many here that every house in the Red Lands have photos of Thaksin, the only photos I've seen are of the King, the Royal Family and deceased family members.

The Thai people are over 69 million of them, when you get feedback from the referendum and 36 Million say they want reforms, I'll support your posts most.

Until then, you're speculating that the Thai people want reforms before an election. wink.png

I can agree with a lot, except for at least

- just pig sick of ALL since mid last year which would include a hilarious censure debate with then PM Yingluck stating to be in charge and of course the blanket amnesty bill which caused all those (by some) unexpected anti-government protests

- red-shirt villages are full of Thaksin pictures

As for 'Thai want reform', let's say that Thai want an end to all the shenanigans even if that means reforms first. Lots are just plain sick with politicians taking care of themselves with a "thanks for voting, please go home now".

No point in voting for the Senate, everybody knows that it is dominated by the Block of un-elected yesmen who will always support the Dems.

Absolute rubbish as usual. During Thaksin's premiership, Thaksin paid 90 senators 100,000 baht a month each so that they took his side which allowed the sale of the Telecoms co to go to Singapore ........ etc etc etc. Gosh, Bruce, I am so bored with your continual rewrite of history on Thaksin's behalf.

Any proof of this or is it just more babble from the Pattaya pond-life?

No point in voting for the Senate, everybody knows that it is dominated by the Block of un-elected yesmen who will always support the Dems.

Oh dear, they won't play ball with PT's corrupt little ways. What nasty people they are.

Edited by Bluespunk

Absolute rubbish as usual. During Thaksin's premiership, Thaksin paid 90 senators 100,000 baht a month each so that they took his side which allowed the sale of the Telecoms co to go to Singapore ........ etc etc etc. Gosh, Bruce, I am so bored with your continual rewrite of history on Thaksin's behalf.

I can't verify the amounts that Thaksin paid the senators who supported him, but I can say that your comment that the current Senate is dominated by the block of non-elected senators is complete rubbish.

Most Senate votes supported the various non-democratic bills passed by the government. The only one they didn't support was the amnesty bill when the protests made them change their mind. There was various accusations that they were paid again but not verified.

• Like 2

I last went to Pattaya in 2004 to deliver a cheque of 1 million baht to the Pattaya Orphanage Trust for the street kids' home. So thank you for your accurate understanding of my intellect. It certainly was no answer to the point I made and the senate payments have been well documented.

Wasn't your argument about the previously "failed" election to let "the people" have the vote to choose who they want and that therefore shows the "will" of the people? By not voting, surely you are now switching over to the anti-Govt point of view that voting is pointless until reforms have taken place?

People know that it is The House of Representatives that is the government. The Senate is dominated by the Dems/Elite block vote. The Anti-democrcy protesters allowed the Senate vote to be held because they know it does not matter.

They will block the election for the House of Representatives because they know that this is the House where the people have a vote. Any reforms forced through by the anti-democratic mobs will only straigthen the Senate and weaken the House of Representatives.

No more posts today I have meeting.

The bars are open today.

I'll wager there were more disappointed drinkers than there were voters

I last went to Pattaya in 2004 to deliver a cheque of 1 million baht to the Pattaya Orphanage Trust for the street kids' home. So thank you for your accurate understanding of my intellect. It certainly was no answer to the point I made and the senate payments have been well documented.

Wow 1 million Baht, you are a hero to the poor children, do you find homes for lost puppies as well?

I would like to see your well documented proof of Taksin paying the Senate if you have time to spare from your good works.