Bought my first scooter Saturday morning, crashed 4 hrs later.

BritManToo

I am totally amazed that the posters on here can be so supportive and complimentary on this idiot's activities! This is exactly the situation of Thai mo'cycle riders that we continuously complain of! Never ridden a bike before? No tax, insurance, road tax? Did he know which side of the road to ride on? Doubt it! Sorry, but no sympathy from here - and certainly no encouragement to "go out and be more careful!"

All the legal stuff is provided when you buy a new bike in Thailand.

You only get a hand written receipt at the time, but the other stuff all arrives in the next 6 months.

I drive on the same side of the road as everyone else (except for the Chinese tourists that don't seem bothered).

"All the legal stuff"? Like a driving licence? Doubt it! Do you possess your own country's driving licence?

farang countries have a separate licence for bikes over 50cc as they should ,usually in tiers

in thailand there is no differnce between a hayabusa and a wave for the 16/17 year old would be motorcyclist

many of them just "buy " the licence and go and have their pic taken because failing would be a loss of face

for the student and the examiner

my x- gf idnt even leave the house to get hers ,her dad called the place because he knows someone there

and they said send the pictures over and the licences will be delivered tomorrow

shes fully licenced to drive a pickup or a motorcycle even though shes never driven either ..........

• Like 1

I am totally amazed that the posters on here can be so supportive and complimentary on this idiot's activities! This is exactly the situation of Thai mo'cycle riders that we continuously complain of! Never ridden a bike before? No tax, insurance, road tax? Did he know which side of the road to ride on? Doubt it! Sorry, but no sympathy from here - and certainly no encouragement to "go out and be more careful!"

You only get a hand written receipt at the time, but the other stuff all arrives in the next 6 months.

I drive on the same side of the road as everyone else (except for the Chinese tourists that don't seem bothered).

i would not be so sure. A new vehicle should have red plates to be legally insured and driven on the road. No plates = no insurance, and will be fined or seized if caugth at a traffic stop or whatelse.

I was a little bit concerned, having no driving license and never been on a scooter before, but nobody seemed worried.

Not having drivers licence becomes a problem when a crash involves injuries to other people and insurance claims and so on.

Not a great country for learning. But if you ride and live without incurring precluding maiming, most anywhere else will be a breeze. Been riding motorcycles and scooters for about 30 years, around the world. Thought the natives on Langkawi were the worst I had seen (and dodged), but Thailand now tops that list. Visiting here since '95, clearly with more vehicles came more ignorance.

Below is pasted a brief rundown on 125 PCX transit, email previously forwarded to an associate. OP, note the terms *hyper-alert* and *hyper-defensive*. And, my advice, stay off the highways.

Email excerpt --

... But, gotta say, the Thai drivers on average are so bad (way, way worse then years past) I'm almost ready to call it quits on scooters. Big bikes you can control the road, get away from the oblivious idiots, but the small bikes, pushed to the side, you are at their bloody mercy.

At least, think that's it for me transiting Thai highways on scooters. Today did the round trip from CR to Mae Sai, then back to CM. Literally lost track of how many close calls. Now it is not only the scooters doing the reverse direction on the highway side (what we in the US call the "breakdown lane" or "safety lane", but what is here the motor bike lane), now I am seeing more and more cars doing the reverse direction on the side. So in addition to all else, you have to dodge those, then you have the usual idiots in cars and trucks speeding up on you, overtaking, crowding (for no reason), coming within a couple feet.
And this was a good one: Today on the mountain road on the CM side, doing a right-shoulder look to check for errant overtaking vehicles, I look back to the front, a guy on an motorbike is coming at me on the side lane, reverse direction ON A BLIND TURN. There IS NO MEDIUM. The guy was just to lazy to cross the road to the legal side. I look to move away from him, the overtaking car gives no room, so I have to thread the needle.
What we might term in the US: A classic. ...

You were bloody lucky you didn't hurt yourself or someone else...

What on earth would possess someone who has no bike riding experience to go and do as you did?

And to do it in a country where a bikerider is treated with less regard than a soi dog really takes the cake mate..

Pm me if you want some help to learn the ropes....i used to teach 'ride to survive ' techniques..

Hi, I am also getting used to scooter.I 'd appreciate your tips.

"All the legal stuff"? Like a driving licence? Doubt it! Do you possess your own country's driving licence?

Strangely enough, I do have a British DL that shows I am entitled to drive a m/c.

I did drive a 3-wheeler when I was young, but never took a m/c test.

Asked the guys at the Honda shop about a Thai m/c license, but none of them had one, and they seemed to think driving without one was OK.

You are not allowed to drive on a British Licence in Thailand. You need an International DL or a Thai M/C Licence. Long time since I was in the UK but I believe the M/C part of your licence only allows you to drive a 50cc or less moped. Doing the Thai test will get you to know Thailand better. Even if you don't learn anything, at least you will be legal. Insurance will not be honoured if there is any problem with your licence. Kill someone expect to pay a few 100k Baht.

ZigZagMan, on 24 Mar 2014 - 20:15, said:

I think off road riding is the way to learn.

Crashed my 125 enduro over and over and over on the trails and hill climbs.

I agree, my first bike was a 250 Yammie road/trail, yes that's what we called dual purpose bikes back in the 70's (yes, I've been riding for a long time), learnt a lot, which saved me a number of times, over the years, while on the road. Roads are not a good place to learn skills.

Advise to the op, learn to brake properly, i.e. apply more pressure to the front than the back, but not enough to lock the brakes. Brake into the corner, not while going around it, then accelerated out, but not too aggressively. Thai roads are notoriously slippery, bad enough for a car, almost suicidal on bikes. Oh.... before I forget, DO NOT TAILGATE.

thepool, on 24 Mar 2014 - 21:19, said:

Brilliant !

Never ridden a bike but clearly thought a 125cc scooter was just a toy !

Lucky not more damage was caused

BEWARE -------------he is out there somewhere --------wobbling about with no clue as to how to control the bike !

Compared to my Harley, 1450cc, they are a toy, but getting around Thai cities/towns a scooter is far better.

Thai roads are notoriously slippery, bad enough for a car, almost suicidal on bikes. Oh.... before I forget, DO NOT TAILGATE.

Seriously true. Twice in recent months tires kicked out and I went down. Not even sharp cornering. Maybe just a little too much on throttle and the little tires lose it. Both times I'm picking the bike up looking for the oil patch I must have missed spotting. Nada. Just crappy road surfacing. And in CR a few days ago, pickup truck hits breaks for no (apparent) reason in moving traffic, I was not tailgating but still had to hammer the breaks. Broke into a skid. Pulled it out okay, but get the general idea, OP, the roads may look good but are not. And the drivers may look bad and ARE. Hyper-alert and hyper-defensive. Or, better yet, live in a hood in which you can walk to everything.

i would not be so sure. A new vehicle should have red plates to be legally insured and driven on the road. No plates = no insurance, and will be fined or seized if caugth at a traffic stop or whatelse.

I would not be so sure.

I have purchased numerous bikes and a car in Thailand, and have never been issued a red plate, rather only paperwork verifying ownership and tax & insurance compliance, which seems to satisfy the gendarmes.

Under the (unenforced) law as it has been explained to me (and shown in translation) a red plated vehicle cannot be driven after dark nor be driven out of the issuing province without written permission of the local chief of police each time.

Permanent plates often take many months to be issued.

Very funny laws & interpretations here.

• Like 2

I would not be so sure.

I have purchased numerous bikes and a car in Thailand, and have never been issued a red plate, rather only paperwork verifying ownership and tax & insurance compliance, which seems to satisfy the gendarmes.

Under the (unenforced) law as it has been explained to me (and shown in translation) a red plated vehicle cannot be driven after dark nor be driven out of the issuing province without written permission of the local chief of police each time.

Permanent plates often take many months to be issued.

Very funny laws & interpretations here.

Perhaps you purchased used vehicles that did had a plate already?

Perhaps red plates have a cost that some buyers and unscrupolous dealers like to avoid?

Or what would be the reason for red plates to exist if no plate is legal.

Ok you got that out of the way now your ready for the big bike. Go trade the scooter in on a Ducati Monster!!! Just joking! No matter how hot the chick walking down the street is do not look while driving. Even a quick glance. There are more down the road where you are going so just wait till your off the bike. Always looking forward, getting the big picture, with frequent mirror checks to make sure of what is behind you. Keep the speed down too. No reason to blast to the next light just because the guy or girl next to you is doing so. Let them run into the truck or get run over by one. Stay safe and dive defensively. People in cars and trucks really do not see you. EVER! Be aware of that and it just may save your life. Happy riding.

Well, now that you've mastered the Wave, it's time to get a faster bike. Try the Ninja 650.

Does anyone really need a bike with that power?

My last bike was a rice-burner racer, 1100 Kawi, ported and chipped. See trouble (stupid traffic), a little throttle and you are gone, out of the danger (dumbass) zone. Need all that power? Maybe not. But, used selectively, it is a beautiful thing.

Well, now that you've mastered the Wave, it's time to get a faster bike. Try the Ninja 650.

My last bike was a rice-burner racer, 1100 Kawi, ported and chipped. See trouble (stupid traffic), a little throttle and you are gone, out of the danger (dumbass) zone. Need all that power? Maybe not. But, used selectively, it is a beautiful thing.

Yes, on your way to a beautiful place, that is if you haven't been a naughty boy.

Isn't that a bit like asking if anyone needs a woman with more than a pinchful of bosom?

The mind boggles. crazy.gif

• Like 2

How are we to expect the Thai people to change their road habits when we have foreigners coming here and doing the same if not worse. Even though they have no road sense, a Thai person at least has generally been riding scooters since a young age. It's people like the OP that put not only their own life at risk but that that of everyone else on the road. What the hell are you thinking? This made you a cowboy? No, this makes you a di$%head. No licence or driving or riding experience, you would be a hazard in your own country let along Thailand where the road toll is so high. Go and get some lessons and some experience before hitting the roads.

• Like 2

Honda recommends E20 for all the bikes with PGM-F1 engines.

You are correct, the Owners Manual states E20 as an approved fuel smile.png

just because you can use e20 doesnt mean you should

its a lot more corrosive than ,benzine , gasohol 91 or 95 but it wont do any

harm within the warranty period :)

• Like 1

Thailand makes me laugh, I rented a bike today to ride from Pattaya to Nong nooch, got stopped at roadblock and fined 200 baht for no internationallicence although I've been riding bikes for 40 years. Obviously that'll make the roads safer then!!!

I was a little bit concerned, having no driving license and never been on a scooter before, but nobody seemed worried.

Not having drivers licence becomes a problem when a crash involves injuries to other people and insurance claims and so on.

Would such a guy really take the time to read some serious issues regarding Thai laws, when the <deleted> really hits the fan?

I've seen too many now having accidents here and then whining about the hospitals. If that wasn't a wake up call, then okay for me.

But posting that like he'd won a war is changing all. Som Nam Na.

Honda recommends E20 for all the bikes with PGM-F1 engines.

You are correct, the Owners Manual states E20 as an approved fuel smile.png

just because you can use e20 doesnt mean you should

its a lot more corrosive than ,benzine , gasohol 91 or 95 but it wont do any

harm within the warranty period smile.png

C'mon, just let the children play.

Thailand makes me laugh, I rented a bike today to ride from Pattaya to Nong nooch, got stopped at roadblock and fined 200 baht for no internationallicence although I've been riding bikes for 40 years. Obviously that'll make the roads safer then!!!

Since 1995 motored all over north and south, never been asked for Thai or "International" DL. But, then again, only got stopped once at a checkpoint in Thailand. The idiocy of an "International" DL is: It is only a translation of your home country DL. Like, the cops can't understand your DL issuance and expiration dates? Twice stopped at Malaysian checkpoints. Looked at my California license, the MC certification, on my way, no prob,

Edited by Wordworx

4 hours?

Pah. It took me less than 4 minutes with my brand new scooter before I crashed into a parking (!) car. But that was not in Thailand.

The baskets for my Yamaha Mios were only 70 baht each by the way......

• Like 1

I bought a Norton 350 about 45 years ago. Same thing, only I nearly had an accident in the first 5 seconds as a casual turn of the throttle resulted in my finding myself on the pavement on the other side of the road.

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2

Is it for sale ? clap2.gif

• Like 1