Bought my first scooter Saturday morning, crashed 4 hrs later.

BritManToo

Good story. Parroting what others have said, I would advise wearing a helmet, face/eye protection, gloves, long pants and shoes or boots. It may be hot and uncomfortable, but not near as much as road rash, a rock in the eye, can in the face or sheared off toes.

Be safe and think, think, think.

be careful using the horn on thais in cars and pickups

a guy nearly wiped us out in his car gran turismo style and i nearly locked up the front wheel to avoid the back of his car

i followed him in a rage holding the horn and waving him to pull over ,he hit the brakes again and i nearly went down to avoid his back

bumper and i kept following him thinking he has to stop somewhere so i can beat him to a pulp

he did end up stopping , i pulled in behind a distance him and ran up to get so he couldnt reverse over me and my bike so easily

drivers door opened and a thai guy with a gun in his hand jumped out ........maybe high on yaba or ice or just enraged that a farang would be pissed off at his dangerous driving ...im not sure which but after a bit of shouting he got back in and drove off and i pulled into the next 7-11 to have a beer and calm down a bit because my blood was boiling :D

dont bite off more than you can chew ,eh .......... :)

The mistakes you made were first, extending the confrontation, riding close to the vehicle and then stopping. Just punch off the wing-mirror and roar off into the distance.

Suzuki GSX-R1000 L3 182 hp in-line 4 Superbike

Edited by H1w4yR1da

Just keep lots of air space between you and other moving vehicles. I look at myself as a target, and my reward for avoiding direct hits are another day with no pain. It works.

that works fine until u get sandwiched between two fast moving vehicles ,one of them too close behind

but overtaking maybe too dangerous for whatever reason

It is a lovely country to ride a bike in, mostly great riding weather, but be careful and aware of what's going on around you.

It's nowhere near as dangerous as many people say or think, but its up to you to stay aware.

Watch out for other bikes and buses, they seem to be the most inconsiderate.

As said above, wear a helmet, wear a quality European / Japanese helmet, not one of the biscuit tins the locals favour.

I have driven about 50,000 KM in Bangkok traffic. One accident, 100% my own fault. My helmet saved my life.

Have fun but take care.

OP,

Find an old helmet, stick it on your head, knock it hard against a brick wall and scrape it along for a foot or two. Multi the sounds by a factor of 1000. It sounds like that hitting the road at 20 mph. Picture your head doing the same.

• Like 2

I think the most valuable tip I got when I first started riding was NOT to try and steer the bike by turning the handlebars in the direction you want to go. Instead gently pull with the opposite hand to the direction you want to go. The bike will lean in the direction you want to go. Difficult to explain, easy to do. Get someone to show you.

I put a new bike down in the first two weeks I owned it but not again in the last four years. Practice on deserted streets can help.

OP, above post is talking about counter steering. There is a currently active thread on TV. I would recommend to read it.

Also, google Lee Parks and Keith Code if you value your life and for the sake of your loved ones and those that love you.

I think the most valuable tip I got when I first started riding was NOT to try and steer the bike by turning the handlebars in the direction you want to go. Instead gently pull with the opposite hand to the direction you want to go. The bike will lean in the direction you want to go. Difficult to explain, easy to do. Get someone to show you.

I put a new bike down in the first two weeks I owned it but not again in the last four years. Practice on deserted streets can help.

When I started to ride a small bike I just used to lean in the direction I wanted to go to, just what I did riding a bicycle. Sure it works to steer a bike with your arse, so to say. Riding a big bike now, I've learned to PUSH the handle bar in the direction I want to go. Push right, go right, push left, go left. This way you can get a faster reaction of the bike. Try it. Do a slalom course on a street with no traffic. Try emergency stops, using both brakes of your Click at the same time. Start from 30kmh, go up slowly step by step to emergency stops from full speed.

On deserted roads ofcourse. As some fore posters said, always wear a good full face helmet, good gloves, shoes and if possible more protective gear. When you fall from your bike it doesn't make a difference wheather the bike has 110 cc or 1100 cc. 40 kmh might be enough to kill yourself. By all means try to avoid having an accident in Thailand. Keep your full attention on the traffic, eyes on the street, watch the traffic in the mirror, prepare yourself for quick reaction. Never look after sexy ladies while riding a bike. Good luck, stay safe all of you.

be careful using the horn on thais in cars and pickups

a guy nearly wiped us out in his car gran turismo style and i nearly locked up the front wheel to avoid the back of his car

i followed him in a rage holding the horn and waving him to pull over ,he hit the brakes again and i nearly went down to avoid his back

bumper and i kept following him thinking he has to stop somewhere so i can beat him to a pulp

he did end up stopping , i pulled in behind a distance him and ran up to get so he couldnt reverse over me and my bike so easily

drivers door opened and a thai guy with a gun in his hand jumped out ........maybe high on yaba or ice or just enraged that a farang would be pissed off at his dangerous driving ...im not sure which but after a bit of shouting he got back in and drove off and i pulled into the next 7-11 to have a beer and calm down a bit because my blood was boiling biggrin.png

dont bite off more than you can chew ,eh .......... smile.png

The mistakes you made were first, extending the confrontation, riding close to the vehicle and then stopping. Just punch off the wing-mirror and roar off into the distance.

Suzuki GSX-R1000 L3 182 hp in-line 4 Superbike

ive did that on occasion too,a new bmw nearly knocked me off my bike and i caught him stuck in a traffic jam a mile or two down the road and booted his wing mirror clean off and dented the door :)

but this guy in particular i just wanted to murder and i was on a damn scooter at the time so i didnt want to let him "escape" so i had to keep it gunned to keep him in sight lol

I'm shocked you did not ride a rental scooter for a few days!

In Thailand I owned 2 scooters and 2 motorcycles.

I seen 5 dead motorcyclist since I moved to Thailand a few years ago.

3 of the dead people in Chiang Mai.

Be Careful!

Thailand is 2nd most deadliest countries in the world for road accidents!!!!!!

Remember....a lot of people in Thailand, drive their automobiles like they were motorcycles. Crazy!

I was a little bit concerned, having no driving license and never been on a scooter before, but nobody seemed worried.

I'd have thought foreigners should/would have a different sort of "common sense", while badmouthing Thais doing things they don't understand.

Som Nam Na.-wai2.gif

• Like 1

The rental companies always said the horn was the most important thing but I honestly hardley ever hear people use their horns here.

Apparently it's 'impolite' to use the horn in LOS. This was explained to me when I first took my test for the 5-year bike driving license. Thais get angry when their poor driving is pointed out to them.

Australia too...

To the OP: try to be smart about it for a while - get some practice on the quieter roads, avoid going out when it's really busy and so on. Even though it's only a scooter you still need to get used to it so that you will slam the breaks on or perform evasive action instinctively when required.

Edited by cocopops

Check out my Countersteering post, good to learn when you first start to ride, but you'll use it for the rest of your life. Learn engine braking and you will find most bikers usually only use the rear brake under most circumstances. Anyway cut your teeth on the scooter then give it to your girlfriend and treat yourself with a nice bike for Xmas.

I have a skull on my keyring, it always reminds me what awaits the unwary biker....

The OP marvels about the cost of petrol or a crushed basket but he really should be practising somehwere where he he is not so much of a danger to himself or more to the point anyone else. Try seeing what the cost of a serious injury would be or for that matter hurting a Thai on the street.....the land of smiles will seem less rosy in either circumstance.

you can overthink your driving and cause an accident as well.

the trick is having it be an extension of yourself, (but not your penis).

your hands and feet should all be wired for specific movements.... braking distances, angle of lean...gear movements, eye movements...

capabilities of the bike, acceleration, braking, sliding, front brake pressure ...tapping foot break, gentle pressure...never lock it up.

Reminds me of a guy we befriended on Samui years ago, never ridden a bike before. We persuaded him to join us on a jolly jaunt around the island, we got our scooters lined up, the owner was explaining to him how to use the bike (twist and turn) needless to say, he twisted to much and ended up through the bar adjacent to the hire shop. Funny at the time! But on a serious note..... Don't do it unless you've had a little practice first!

Agree with you guys criticizing the OP for his lack of responsibility. However well all know that passing a Thai driving test isn't going to teach you to drive a car or ride a bike properly. Thais seem to ride bikes as soon as they can walk. Which I highly disapprove of. Hopefully the OP will get proper instruction either hands on or through the internet (Tons of You Tube vids) and become an accomplished rider. Instead of another drunk falung on a scooter. I am concerned however that he didn't seem shaken at all by his accident.

• Like 1

I am totally amazed that the posters on here can be so supportive and complimentary on this idiot's activities! This is exactly the situation of Thai mo'cycle riders that we continuously complain of! Never ridden a bike before? No tax, insurance, road tax? Did he know which side of the road to ride on? Doubt it! Sorry, but no sympathy from here - and certainly no encouragement to "go out and be more careful!"

I am totally amazed that the posters on here can be so supportive and complimentary on this idiot's activities! This is exactly the situation of Thai mo'cycle riders that we continuously complain of! Never ridden a bike before? No tax, insurance, road tax? Did he know which side of the road to ride on? Doubt it! Sorry, but no sympathy from here - and certainly no encouragement to "go out and be more careful!"

All the legal stuff is provided when you buy a new bike in Thailand.

You only get a hand written receipt at the time, but the other stuff all arrives in the next 6 months.

I drive on the same side of the road as everyone else (except for the Chinese tourists that don't seem bothered).

Agree with you guys criticizing the OP for his lack of responsibility. However well all know that passing a Thai driving test isn't going to teach you to drive a car or ride a bike properly. Thais seem to ride bikes as soon as they can walk. Which I highly disapprove of. Hopefully the OP will get proper instruction either hands on or through the internet (Tons of You Tube vids) and become an accomplished rider. Instead of another drunk falung on a scooter. I am concerned however that he didn't seem shaken at all by his accident.

I never drink alcoholic drinks, so I won't have to worry about that.

You only get a hand written receipt at the time, but the other stuff all arrives in the next 6 months.

I drive on the same side of the road as everyone else (except for the Chinese tourists that don't seem bothered).

"All the legal stuff"? Like a driving licence? Doubt it! Do you possess your own country's driving licence?

"All the legal stuff"? Like a driving licence? Doubt it! Do you possess your own country's driving licence?

Strangely enough, I do have a British DL that shows I am entitled to drive a m/c.

I did drive a 3-wheeler when I was young, but never took a m/c test.

Asked the guys at the Honda shop about a Thai m/c license, but none of them had one, and they seemed to think driving without one was OK.

Edited by BritManToo