Bought my first scooter Saturday morning, crashed 4 hrs later.

BritManToo

reminds me of myself a good few years ago in bkk ,exact same procedure

i picked the colour i wanted and while i was paying for it the mechanics were next door putting in the oil and a litre of gas :)

it took under half an hour i think from arriving at the shop to choosing one and riding away in bkk traffic with no experience

,licence ,insurance etc

not much changes in thailand lol

• Like 2

I bought a Norton 350 about 45 years ago. Same thing, only I nearly had an accident in the first 5 seconds as a casual turn of the throttle resulted in my finding myself on the pavement on the other side of the road.

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 2

I think off road riding is the way to learn.

Crashed my 125 enduro over and over and over on the trails and hill climbs.

It is one good way to learn many many control techniques for sure..i learnt by instruction from a very good trials rider..slow speed control of a bike is a crucial element and i've found that if riders have a good mastery of slow/very slow speed riding they usually carry that through to good high speed control..

Brilliant !

Never ridden a bike but clearly thought a 125cc scooter was just a toy !

Lucky not more damage was caused

BEWARE -------------he is out there somewhere --------wobbling about with no clue as to how to control the bike !

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

You got the rental bike lesson (though I guess you can't expect much more out of a dealership):

'There's the gas, there's the brake, there's the road- good luck.';)

Watch it out there- that was a really cheap reminder of how a bike can bite you. Eventually you'll get to the point where gas/brake/shifter/signals/etc are second nature and you won't have to think about them- as a newbie, they require a lot of your concentration, and that's what gets most beginning riders.

The rental companies always said the horn was the most important thing but I honestly hardley ever hear people use their horns here.

I don't know where to start with advice to the OP if it is not a troll post.

Just as you think hey I'm getting the hang of this someones brake lights don't work and you repeat the process.

Oh where did that pothole come from.

Shit I've got eyes full of mosquitos and can't see.

There will be many surprises ahead just don't get too confident.

Hope nothing bad happens on your journeys, if you are not wearing a full face helmet you really need a pair of safety glasses.

• Like 2

All that I have to say your lucky.I started back in 67,riding thru the woods.I won't ride 2 wheels in any large city in Thailand.Good luck to ya.You survived this one.Next time you might possibly bite the bullet.

Might even bite the bullet just walking across the street. That is life, Live it, enjoy it.

To The OP: They say you have never truly ridden a bike until you have had your first lay down. Congratulations. You got your first lay down on day 1. I would suggest, as others have, go into the country and practice, practice, practice. Try sand. Try potholes. When I say try, I mean try to avoid them safely.

You will find your life in Thailand to be far cheaper if you get a Thai Driver's License. Please, always wear the helmet. They do work, and you will have a need for it, eventually.

There are two kinds of bikers.

There are old bikers and bold bikers but there are no old,bold bikers

heheh that axiom works for pilots as intended

since they are periodically tested & need to stay current.

But Bikers?

I dunno but see many old bikers here who seem quite bold to be riding the middle

line with baskets, animals or 4 kids etc. lashed to their seatslaugh.png

post-82547-0-47470500-1395713141_thumb.j

It is a lovely country to ride a bike in, mostly great riding weather, but be careful and aware of what's going on around you.

It's nowhere near as dangerous as many people say or think, but its up to you to stay aware.

Watch out for other bikes and buses, they seem to be the most inconsiderate.

As said above, wear a helmet, wear a quality European / Japanese helmet, not one of the biscuit tins the locals favour.

I have driven about 50,000 KM in Bangkok traffic. One accident, 100% my own fault. My helmet saved my life.

Have fun but take care.

• Like 1

I think the most valuable tip I got when I first started riding was NOT to try and steer the bike by turning the handlebars in the direction you want to go. Instead gently pull with the opposite hand to the direction you want to go. The bike will lean in the direction you want to go. Difficult to explain, easy to do. Get someone to show you.

I put a new bike down in the first two weeks I owned it but not again in the last four years. Practice on deserted streets can help.

I recall my bike training for my first licence back in the UK... the instructor told us all to ride as if everyone else on the road were trying to kill us.

With one slight change to the wording that applies in Thailand also:

Everyone else on the road IS trying to kill us.

I think the most valuable tip I got when I first started riding was NOT to try and steer the bike by turning the handlebars in the direction you want to go. Instead gently pull with the opposite hand to the direction you want to go. The bike will lean in the direction you want to go. Difficult to explain, easy to do. Get someone to show you.

I put a new bike down in the first two weeks I owned it but not again in the last four years. Practice on deserted streets can help.

I think its easier to understand this counter steering if you say push on the handlebars with your right hand if you want to go right

push on the handlebars with your left hand if you want to go left

pull left to go right allways confuses me. facepalm.gif

Yes, Andreandre, go slow until you know, just like my music teacher said. I am a regulalar rider of a bicycle but have not ridden a scooter since I was a teenager. I got a new bike 2 days ago and had it dropped off at the school so I could practice everyday before I hit the road. Good thing too. First mistake, driving on the wrong side of the road. Second mistake, not remembering how to do signals without looking, not being a steady driver, jerky motion. Slowly it is all coming together then I will drive in a dirt lot nearby as per tv recommendations. I will also practice quick braking, u-turns and try to get used to applying the right power for various manouevers. Yes I would have bit the dust several times without this practice. Thanks all for additional hints. I was recommended to have a helmet with a full face mask, jacket with elbow pads, pants with knee pads.

I ride daily with a motorcyle taxi, same guy always. He drives slower than others, follows other motorcycles, does a lot of mirror checking, does quick uturns by leaning only and is very smooth. He is more expensive than other guys (130 vs 100) but these are cheap lessons from a survivor..