Redshirts beating a Buddhist monk in Nonthaburi [video]

webfact

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look, as usual, we don't know the full story here. Nothing can justify a mob attack on a lone individual, so what these people did was abhorrent. . However, I do know that most ethnic Thais, red or yellow, have the greatest respect for monks. But the actions of monks like Issara (who has been censured by the Abbot Council for his involvement in protests in Bangkok) has blurred the line between the Sangha and politics. I can envisage this monk returning from seeing his dying son (which is what has been reported) and being frustrated by the red-shirt crowd that blocked his taxi's passage. We don't know what he said to them, but we do know he 'berated' them. We don't know how 'sharp' his words were. We don't know whether he made politial statements. But his words clearly provoked the crowd into unjustiable violence. I can only think that he must have used very strong, politically tinged language to provoke Thai people to behave like this toward him (but this is only an inference). Near the end of the video, you see a man going through his shoulder bag. Some people have said that he was looking for valuables to steal. However, if you look at the way he displays the contents of the bag to the mob, it seems unlikely. More likely, he was looking for evidence that the monk was involved with the PDRC. Regardless of what really happened here, the mob's behaviour needs to be condemned in the strongest terms by the Red leadership ... like most of us, I don't like where all this seems to be heading.

• Like 2

Look, as usual, we don't know the full story here. Nothing can justify a mob attack on a lone individual, so what these people did was abhorrent. . However, I do know that most ethnic Thais, red or yellow, have the greatest respect for monks. But the actions of monks like Issara (who has been censured by the Abbot Council for his involvement in protests in Bangkok) has blurred the line between the Sangha and politics. I can envisage this monk returning from seeing his dying son (which is what has been reported) and being frustrated by the red-shirt crowd that blocked his taxi's passage. We don't know what he said to them, but we do know he 'berated' them. We don't know how 'sharp' his words were. We don't know whether he made politial statements. But his words clearly provoked the crowd into unjustiable violence. I can only think that he must have used very strong, politically tinged language to provoke Thai people to behave like this toward him (but this is only an inference). Near the end of the video, you see a man going through his shoulder bag. Some people have said that he was looking for valuables to steal. However, if you look at the way he displays the contents of the bag to the mob, it seems unlikely. More likely, he was looking for evidence that the monk was involved with the PDRC. Regardless of what really happened here, the mob's behaviour needs to be condemned in the strongest terms by the Red leadership ... like most of us, I don't like where all this seems to be heading.

Spot on. But no matter what was said there's no excuse to give a monk or anyone such a cowardly beating. I hope the monk is ok.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I have mix feeling on this. In my own opinion, Buddhist monastics and political activism don't mix. If monks want to become activists, then disrobe, return to lay-life, and join in the fray.

Becoming a monk is about letting go of the lay-life and moving along a path outside of the normal hustle and bustle of life. Maybe this is where 'Thai-Buddhism' has lost it's way from it's Theravada roots.

But the violence, from either side, is inexcusable. But the sad fact is that a saffron robe isn't going to protect anyone from Thai mob mentality. But expecting the robe to protect you is just as ignorant.

• Like 1

redshirt scum....anyone going to defend that...sad.png

The PRD were exercising their right to protest just like the PDRC.

The chap dressed up as monk certainly was no monk. As you know, monks are not supposed to engage in political activities, nor should they use curse words nor call people derogatory names. As there were no PDRC protestors at the location, the monk was not intervening for humanitarian reasons, but did so for his own political motives. Simply because the man was wearing a monk's attire does not make him special or holy. He made the mistake of trying to use his position to intimidate people. He miscalculated and perhaps should stick to selling magical amulets to the superstitious.

It would seem that many of the posters here have not read the article they are just following a crowd which has lost it's way. there was noo political statements involved other than the visable ones given by the red shirts who were ordered to dress in black.

so I will reprint the article here in order for you to understand what happened.

webfact

Admin

• xav-327.jpg,q_r=0.pagespeed.ic.mcAA1C0JN
  • Admin
  • xbullet_black.png.pagespeed.ic.jB6hmcewRxbullet_black.png.pagespeed.ic.jB6hmcewRxbullet_black.png.pagespeed.ic.jB6hmcewRxbullet_black.png.pagespeed.ic.jB6hmcewRxbullet_black.png.pagespeed.ic.jB6hmcewRxbullet_black.png.pagespeed.ic.jB6hmcewRxbullet_black.png.pagespeed.ic.jB6hmcewRxbullet_black.png.pagespeed.ic.jB6hmcewR
  • 104,894 posts

Posted Yesterday, 17:08

Nonthaburi PCAD Rally Site Seized By Redshirts

By Khaosod English

x13956548631395654912l.jpg.pagespeed.ic.

Redshirts activists punch a monk who voiced his displeasure at their dismantling of rival political rally stage in Nonthaburi province, 24 March 2014

BANGKOK: -- Redshirts activists have dismantled the rally stage set up by anti-government protesters in Nonthaburi province today.

Supporters of the People's Committee for Absolute Democracy With the King As Head of State (PCAD) have previously installed a rally site, complete with loudspeakers and a stage, near the office of the National Anti-Corruption Commission in the province.

But pro-government Redshirts under the name People's Radio for Democracy (PRD) later arrived at the scene, and proceeded to dismantle the rally stage.

A leader of the PRD claimed the operation was meant to "seize back" the area from anti-government "rebels". The PRD has held rally in front of the NACC office in the past to protest the Commission's corruption case against Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra.

Although no PCAD supporter was present at the rally site at the time of the incident, fistfights erupted when a monk approached the Redshirts before berating them for their actions and making other impolite remarks to the activists.

Some of the Redshirts became enrgaged and mobbed the monk, who was later rescued from the angry mob by police officers.

• Like 1

It would seem that many of the posters here have not read the article they are just following a crowd which has lost it's way. there was noo political statements involved other than the visable ones given by the red shirts who were ordered to dress in black.

so I will reprint the article here in order for you to understand what happened.

webfact

Admin

• xav-327.jpg,q_r=0.pagespeed.ic.mcAA1C0JN
  • Admin
  • xbullet_black.png.pagespeed.ic.jB6hmcewRxbullet_black.png.pagespeed.ic.jB6hmcewRxbullet_black.png.pagespeed.ic.jB6hmcewRxbullet_black.png.pagespeed.ic.jB6hmcewRxbullet_black.png.pagespeed.ic.jB6hmcewRxbullet_black.png.pagespeed.ic.jB6hmcewRxbullet_black.png.pagespeed.ic.jB6hmcewRxbullet_black.png.pagespeed.ic.jB6hmcewR
  • 104,894 posts

Posted Yesterday, 17:08

Nonthaburi PCAD Rally Site Seized By Redshirts

By Khaosod English

x13956548631395654912l.jpg.pagespeed.ic.

Redshirts activists punch a monk who voiced his displeasure at their dismantling of rival political rally stage in Nonthaburi province, 24 March 2014

BANGKOK: -- Redshirts activists have dismantled the rally stage set up by anti-government protesters in Nonthaburi province today.

Supporters of the People's Committee for Absolute Democracy With the King As Head of State (PCAD) have previously installed a rally site, complete with loudspeakers and a stage, near the office of the National Anti-Corruption Commission in the province.

But pro-government Redshirts under the name People's Radio for Democracy (PRD) later arrived at the scene, and proceeded to dismantle the rally stage.

A leader of the PRD claimed the operation was meant to "seize back" the area from anti-government "rebels". The PRD has held rally in front of the NACC office in the past to protest the Commission's corruption case against Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra.

Although no PCAD supporter was present at the rally site at the time of the incident, fistfights erupted when a monk approached the Redshirts before berating them for their actions and making other impolite remarks to the activists.

Some of the Redshirts became enrgaged and mobbed the monk, who was later rescued from the angry mob by police officers.

Thank You, Northernjohn.

An we have to keep in mind that this article is from Khaosod, the Red Shirt newspaper. So the allegation that he reportedly made "impolite remarks" may not be so true.

Dismantled a stage belonging to PCAD, well thats something the BIB have failed to achieve these last few months. That monk was very rude, its mainly old boys rearranging his chops in the last few pics. Lesson there to farangs, even the old ones like a punch up.

He is not a monk, just a yellow shirt ruining the name of Buddhism, playing politics and wearing a yellow robe. An absolute disgrace.

He shouldnt be beaten though, he should be disrobed, named and shamed.

And so should you

• Like 2

Respect for the country's institutions is crumbling. Just how many angry people are going to go out and kill the enemy once things get out of hand is the question. Most Thais will stay out of it but there are more than enough others who just won't put up with this crap anymore and will confront the other side. Which side is going to start the massacre?

Towards the end of the clip, there is a guy sorting through the monks bag and seemingly passing out the contents to the crowd,. The monk didn't seem to have too much in his bag to start with, never mind after these people had finished with it. Thailand, so much for dedicated Buddhist beliefs, bring on the worshipping of the mob mentality.

I'm not a particular fan of mob violence, however the alleged monk was no worse for wear and may have actually gained a valuable lesson, which is that a man in monk's clothing should not behave in an unmonkly manner.

Have you considered that the crowd's reaction was a reflection of their having had enough of self proclaimed holy men telling them what to do?

"I'm not a particular fan of mob violence..."

Not a particular fan eh?! A cautious supporter then perhaps?!

To think you were once quite a credible poster on here who made somewhat rational arguments. What on earth happened to you?

• Like 1

Unfortunately this is what happens when a minority attempt to impose their will on the majority. Many of us has been saying that the end game would be a red shirt back lash since practically the start of the anti-democracy protests. Unless the Army acts and removes Sutheps mob, it is likely to get a lot worse. As for the incident itself, it is very sad to see a monk being attacked, but those of us who have lived here long enough, know that when violence starts, ethics completely go out the window. Crikey I have seen videos of half a dozen men and women kicking a young woman when she is on the floor. Luckily the monk seems ok. But really monks should not be involved in demonstrations, it is playing with fire.

In any such video, where a mob assaults an individual, it is just as reprehensible. On any side, for any reason. It is NOT what happens when "when a minority attempt to impose their will on the majority" specifically, it is what happens when a mob is allowed to do whatever they want without fear of repercussions or rule of law - in front of police with no action on their part to do their duty and protect the public (all members of it!). Mob rule and mob mentality is not something that should be allowed to persist in a country - and in any country with a real rule of law and unbiased police force - it would not for long.

Where was it said anywhere that this monk was "involved in demonstrations" [sic]? All the news I have read said he was returning from a funeral and stopped to tell people, people that are part of his flock as Buddhists, to stop fighting and destroying property that was not theirs.

There seems to be a lot of excuses and worse, using similar cases where the opposition where the perpetrators as a reason of acceptability, from those that openly follow the Red Shirts here. Whilst I say, to each their own wrt following the Reds, I cannot understand how anyone - especially the Reds who should be outraged with these thugs - avoids outright denunciation is beyond me.

• Like 1

Thai monks should keep to doing monk-like things and keep their nose out of politics. Amazing all the Thaivisa experts having an orgasm over this. Didn't see much written by these same exerts over the taxi driver beaten into a coma by PDRC or the under cover police beaten by PDRC guards and then interrogated by that rat- bag monk who set up the stage at Chaeng Wattana.

So you and the <deleted> who liked your post are saying that this was perfectly acceptable behaviour?

• Like 1

I find it very disgusting Thai people are beating up a Monk for any reason,or any other person for that matter.

More disgusting are the comments of people like whybother and oldsailor and there are more.

This kind of thinking shows your lack of education and human decency.

It shows the danger of only hearing and believing one sided propoganda and people who entice people into violence are a real danger to the safety of Thailand as a country.

I am not taking sides as i do not understand all of the underlying issues but i do condemn violence from either side.

I know a lot of Thai people are ashamed of what happened and prefer not to talk about politics all together.

Usually i just read these kind of threads and don't respond but the total ignorance of some posts made by people who should no better makes

me wonder if they come from a so called third world country.

• Like 2

I find it very disgusting Thai people are beating up a Monk for any reason,or any other person for that matter.

More disgusting are the comments of people like whybother and oldsailor and there are more.

This kind of thinking shows your lack of education and human decency.

It shows the danger of only hearing and believing one sided propoganda and people who entice people into violence are a real danger to the safety of Thailand as a country.

I am not taking sides as i do not understand all of the underlying issues but i do condemn violence from either side.

I know a lot of Thai people are ashamed of what happened and prefer not to talk about politics all together.

Usually i just read these kind of threads and don't respond but the total ignorance of some posts made by people who should no better makes

me wonder if they come from a so called third world country.

What did I say that was disgusting?

The chap dressed up as monk certainly was no monk. As you know, monks are not supposed to engage in political activities, nor should they use curse words nor call people derogatory names. As there were no PDRC protestors at the location, the monk was not intervening for humanitarian reasons, but did so for his own political motives. Simply because the man was wearing a monk's attire does not make him special or holy. He made the mistake of trying to use his position to intimidate people. He miscalculated and perhaps should stick to selling magical amulets to the superstitious.

Guess that answers the question above, and my hunch posted; we do have the typical low lives trying to justify it. Pitiful.

GK, you have sunk to a new low...if that was even possible.

Making unfounded assumptions to try and rationalize and defend the beating of a Monk.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

• Like 1