BMA: No illegal landfill sites in Bangkok

webfact

BMA: No illegal landfill sites in Bangkok
By Digital Content

13957110204856.jpg

BANGKOK, March 25 – City residents have been reassured that all landfill sites under the supervision of the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) are safe and legally operated.

Banjong Sookdee, deputy city clerk, said three city landfill sites at On-nuj, Sai Mai and Nong Kaem take 9,600 tonnes of garbage a day.

Private operators have been hired to transport some garbage from Bangkok to be buried in nearby Chachoengsao and Nakhon Pathom provinces while about 1,000-1,200 tonnes of fertilizer are produced from recycled garbage.

About 1.5 tonnes of dangerous garbage are handled by a BMA-contracted private company and contagious garbage from hospitals, about 32 tonnes daily, is managed by Krungthep Thanakom Company, he said.

Industrial garbage is destroyed by the Industrial Works Department.

Mr Bangchong said the BMA helped put out the fire at a landfill site in Praeksa sub-district of neighbouring Samut Prakarn last week.

Toxic fumes from the site had spread to several areas in Bangkok. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-03-25

Thankfully Pattaya does not seem to have a landfill problem. The prefered method seems to be to throw rubbish onto nearby unbuilt land. Eventually it decomposes in a very natural way.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Most vacant land around here in Bang Na is filled with illegal rubbish and garbage. Not to mention the sweet chemical smells occasionally that suggest illegal waste treatment.. At least twice a week, we need to close all windows!

Then there're the klongs drainage ditches, open sewers and rivers. Oops I almost forgot the toilets that have you toss your paper into a bin after a big pooh. Yeah, I know what you mean.

More lies. I was one of the consultants who wrote the BMA Bangkok Solid Waste Master Plan in 1999. None of the BMA legal landfills are operated correctly. Onnuch has a long history of fires that has caused smoke and toxic fume pollution of the local environment. The last time it caught fire it engulphed the local police station which had to be evacuated. None of the recommendations for best operational practices has been carried out by them. The only people getting fined for littering are tourists, while Thais are dumping litter and rubbish all over Bangkok without any action by the BMA or the police. If Suthep is really against corruption and dereliction of duty, he should surely be attacking the Democrat Party led BMA.

How reassuring.... whistling.gif But it's quite what could have been expected, as that's the normal way of operating here.

Even if there aren't any "illegal" landfills within Bangkok, you can bet, all over the province, there are businesses and other parties dumping their solid and liquid wastes in various unpermitted places on the ground and into waterways. No regulation. No licensing, no enforcement.

The headline of the OP and its content would indeed suggest there is no problem. It may also be factually correct in so far as it goes (but I would not bet on it).

There doesn't either seem to be much in the way of disagreement that this is a rubbish article (please excuse the pun) intended purely to misinform.

Therein lies the big problem: the dissemination of misinformation like this, combined of course with a failure to acknowledge the truth about anything unpleasant that is taking place as well as the overcooking of stats to make everything look rosy is one of the most destructive forces in this country.

Your guess as to why this occurs and who are responsible?.

Thankfully Pattaya does not seem to have a landfill problem. The prefered method seems to be to throw rubbish onto nearby unbuilt land. Eventually it decomposes in a very natural way.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

[there are landfills in pattaya too, I have seen it.../quote]