Visa Outsourcing Centre : Another Rip Off

The Visa outsourcing centre refuses normal Thai bank cashier's cheques and demands a Banker's draft issued by them at a cost of baht 35 for each and every application..

This regulation is NOT from the Embassy which continues to accept Thai cashier's cheques but from the Indian based outsourcing centre itself ! The Consul himself confirmed over the telephone that his Consular Section DOES accept cashiers' cheques as payment for consuler services.

IT IS A PURE AND UNADULTERATED RIP OFF !

Definition of a Bankers draft :

"A banker's draft is a cheque drawn on the bank (or building society) itself against either a cash deposit or funds taken directly from your own bank account"

1. IN BANGKOK THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A BANKER'S DRAFT .

"CASHIERS CHEQUE" IS THE THAI WORD FOR THIS.

THEY ASK FOR SOMETHING THAT IS NON EXISTANT !

2. THE BITS OF PAPER ISSUED BY THE OUTSOURCING CENTRE ARE NOT BANKERS DRAFTS AS THEY ARE NOT DRAWN ON A BANK BUT ON THEMSELVES.

THIS IS A NASTY SCHEME TO INCREASE THEIR INCOME BY BAHT 35 PER APPLICATION

Is there nothing we can do about this ?

Yes, you are right. The country you're trying to visit is so poor, the extra 35THB is necessary to them to make their monthly nut. On the other hand, perhaps the center has gotten so many counterfeit checks, they had to take steps to prevent this from happening. If an extra $1 is going to break your bank, and your b@lls, perhaps you should rethink your plans.

Edited by backflip

The reason that people require bankers drafts and not cashiers cheques is because unlike in the west cashiers cheques can only be negotiated at the bank it was issued without attracting a handling charge. otherwise it attracts a bank charge.

So its really a question of the outsourcing lot making the applicant pay the cost of the instrument, as usual in visa application applicant pays all.

Possibly the Embassy is a big enough customer to negotiate around this charge or hasn't worked it out.

Topfield, I thought my Thai wife was cheap but you put her to shame. It appears that you get RIPPED OFF at everything you try to do. If I were you I'd go back home and hide under the bed. :o

Topfield, I thought my Thai wife was cheap but you put her to shame. It appears that you get RIPPED OFF at everything you try to do. If I were you I'd go back home and hide under the bed.

WHAT A STUPID IGNORANT RESPONSE !

I personally have not been ripped off at all. I am just trying to help other Thaivisa readers so that THEY do not get ripped off by informing them of the facts and making them aware of what's going on and exposing to all WHAT IS A CLEAR RIP OFF.

Why go to the trouble of calling the British Consul myself to ascertain the facts were I not trying to help other people ?

In a recent posting on this issue someone wrote that this Indian outfit has now decided not to accept cash in payment of fees. If correct, this is 100 percent confirmation of 'rip off' status. Multiply 35 baht by the number of applications and you can see the extra bunce being made.

I dont know what arrangement this Chennai based outfit have made with their bankers , but I myself have never been charged for paying a cashiers cheque into my bank account here .

The Visa outsourcing centre refuses normal Thai bank cashier's cheques and demands a Banker's draft issued by them at a cost of baht 35 for each and every application..
No, they do not demand a bankers draft issued by them. Get your facts right.

If you took the time and trouble to even read the fees information on their website you will see the following

Fees should be paid in Baht in the form of a Banker's draft ONLY, made payable to the 'British Embassy'.

Demand Drafts can be purchased from VFS Application Centres

"Can be purchased," not "must be purchased."

No, they do not demand a bankers draft issued by them. Get your facts right.

If you took the time and trouble to even read the fees information on their website you will see the following

Fees should be paid in Baht in the form of a Banker's draft ONLY, made payable to the 'British Embassy'.

Demand Drafts can be purchased from VFS Application Centres

"Can be purchased," not "must be purchased."

from Topfield

CAN=MUST in this case as Thai banks do not even know what a bankers draft is, let alone issue one ! In Thailand cheques issued by a bank are called CASHIERS CHEQUES.

Read the posting and see earlier ones from others also ! There is not even Thai word for 'bankers draft' and if there is one its "cashiercheck " pronounced with a Thai accent of course.

The piece of paper costing 35 baht issued by the Indians can in fact only be classified as a 'voucher' or a 'receipt for fees paid"as it is not issued by a bank.

from Topfield

CAN=MUST in this case as Thai banks do not even know what a bankers draft is, let alone issue one ! In Thailand cheques issued by a bank are called CASHIERS CHEQUES.

Read the posting and see earlier ones from others also ! There is not even Thai word for 'bankers draft' and if there is one its "cashiercheck " pronounced with a Thai accent of course.

The piece of paper costing 35 baht issued by the Indians can in fact only be classified as a 'voucher' or a 'receipt for fees paid"as it is not issued by a bank.

what does it matter? it's the Embassy regulations that insist on a Banker's draft, the company who run the outsourcing centre are providing an extra service that requires an extra member of staff and are doing so at a very nominal price. I for one was glad to just be able to go to an ATM and turn up with cash as the alternative would have time consuming and difficult for a westerner with no Thai bank account! If 50p extra is too much for anyone then they shouldn't be applying for a VISA to a much more expensive country. Really, is there nothing better to talk about than whether people are being ripped off for half a quid or not?

Topfield, may I ask...

What bearing does the nationality of the oursourcing firm have to do with the general discussion of fees at the outsourcing centre?

Because every Co runs and manages its business in the way it knows best.

Every business puts its mark on the way it operates. The Co. operating the service in Bangkok is based in Chennai where all its experience and knowledge was acquired and where the applicants were of Indian nationality. The managing CEO is neither British nor Thai...he is Indian.

You can be sure that had if a German or Swiss company was managing the Centre , super duper efficiency would be the name of the game. Were it run by a Chad based Co things would be run entirely differently .

In my view it is inconceivable that a well educated British CEO who knew or lived in the Kingdom would demand that fees be paid with a non existant financial instrument .

NOTE: As confirmed by the Consul himself over the telephone, cashiers cheques are accepted at the British Embassy in payment for all consular services.

Furthermore up to the day the Indian Co took over from the Embassy, Cashiers Checks were the ONLY acceptable means of payment for visa fees .

In my view it is inconceivable that a well educated British CEO who knew or lived in the Kingdom would demand that fees be paid with a non existant financial instrument .

Keep digging me old chum. :o

so if thai banks dont do Bankers Drafts how to people apply by post/courrier?

Good question.

Also, every visa I've ever applied for, I've paid the fees in cash at the Embassy. Never had to get cashier's cheque, Banker's draft, or any other form of financial instrument, other than Thai currency notes. :D

However, I did assist a friend last year to make an application via the "drop Box" and I distinctly remember them getting a cashier's cheque from the bank to go with the application.

I have to say it does sound like a bit of a 'con' - why don't they accept cash, like the embassy used to? A professional outfit aught to be able to take responsibility for accounting for cash and issuing appropriate receipts. Surely they're not worried about someone stealing the visa money?

It s a bit like going to a lawyer's office and offering to pay your bill in cash, only to be told: "no, go to that lady over there and buy a bankers draft and then come back here and pay us." :D

I always thought cash was king in LOS

But at 35 baht a pop it seems hardly worth all the fuss. :o

Good question.

Also, every visa I've ever applied for, I've paid the fees in cash at the Embassy. Never had to get cashier's cheque, Banker's draft, or any other form of financial instrument, other than Thai currency notes. :D

However, I did assist a friend last year to make an application via the "drop Box" and I distinctly remember them getting a cashier's cheque from the bank to go with the application.

I have to say it does sound like a bit of a 'con' - why don't they accept cash, like the embassy used to? A professional outfit aught to be able to take responsibility for accounting for cash and issuing appropriate receipts. Surely they're not worried about someone stealing the visa money?

It s a bit like going to a lawyer's office and offering to pay your bill in cash, only to be told: "no, go to that lady over there and buy a bankers draft and then come back here and pay us." :D

Well my Gf is making here VV for UK to VFS by courrier and I sure dont want it returned cos we put the wrong one in.

So can you get both - cashier's cheque, Banker's draft?

The VFS website cleary states Bankers Draft not a cashier's cheque here look

Good question.

Well my Gf is making here VV for UK to VFS by courrier and I sure dont want it returned cos we put the wrong one in.

ABSOLUTELY CORRECT . THESE CHENNAI BASED IDIOTS ARE ASKING FOR SOMETHING THAT DOES NOT EXIST IN THAILAND !

Please go to your Thai bank and ask for one. You will be told to wait and pay the 20 baht fee. After ten minutes you will receive it. Then you will go to the outsourcing centre with your docs and what the bank gave you. ' Sorry ,Sir you will be told, we cannot accept cashiers checks...go to our till and pay 35 baht plus the fee in cash and we will issue you one. " !!

Ihave seen this happen at the centre on several ocassions !!

[A note from Mr Cleverclogs : seem to remember the Head office of Barclays, other major UK banks , and even Bangkok Bank in the City , were able to issue cheques in baht drawn on a Thai bank. Now that must surely qualify as a Banker's Draft !!!..they cost a tenner each ]

Good question.

ABSOLUTELY CORRECT . THESE CHENNAI BASED IDIOTS ARE ASKING FOR SOMETHING THAT DOES NOT EXIST IN THAILAND !

Please go to your Thai bank and ask for one. You will be told to wait and pay the 20 baht fee. After ten minutes you will receive it. Then you will go to the outsourcing centre with your docs and what the bank gave you. ' Sorry ,Sir you will be told, we cannot accept cashiers checks...go to our till and pay 35 baht plus the fee in cash and we will issue you one. " !!

[A note from Mr Cleverclogs : seem to remember the Head office of Barclays, other major UK banks , and even Bangkok Bank in the City , were able to issue cheques in baht drawn on a Thai bank. Now that must surely qualify as a Banker's Draft !!!..they cost a tenner each ]

So how am I sposed to make my application by post?

Good question.

###### GOOD QUESTION ! YOU WILL HAVE YOUR ANSWER TOMORROW BEFORE 6 PM AS I AM SENDING MY STAFF THERE TO ASK AND WILL POST THEIR REPLY

The US Embassy also does not accept cash for visas. One must go to a Thai Post Office and purchase what appears to be a money order. I forgot whether there is a fee or not for this, but if there is, I'm sure it isn't much.

GOOD QUESTION ! YOU WILL HAVE YOUR ANSWER TOMORROW BEFORE 6 PM AS I AM SENDING MY STAFF THERE TO ASK AND WILL POST THEIR REPLY
What business is it you run?

The British Embassy stopped accepting cash for visa applications some time before the outsourcing centre opened. It is worth noting that it is the embassy that insist on a 'bankers draft', VFS, when asking for their fee for postal applications etc. say 'demand draft.' (See this page, for example.)

VFS are not some fly by night company, they have run similar operations for both the UK and other countries for some time. In Thailand they also run the visa application services for, among others, Australia.

Topfield, whatever your motives, your comments about Indians gives one the feeling thatthis forum would be more to your liking than here.

While Topfield may be like a dog with a bone on this one. He does appear to be right. A trusted co-worker of mine also dutifly arrived with a bankers draft (whatever it may be called in Thailand) and was told it was no good and only 'their' version was ok.

Has this service been outsourced to an Indian company or a Thai company? If it's an Idian one it won't surprise me. Too many jobs are being out-sourced to India from the UK. All part of the rot Ii suppose.

It would appear that you can't.

It's a classic "catch 22".

Applications by post are accepted, but you must enclose your fee in the form of a "banker's draft, issued by VFS.

How do you get a banker's draft issued by VFS?

Go to the VFS office and get one. :D

Maybe you can buy a stock of them in advance? How long are they valid for?

BTW The embassy definitely used to accept cashier's cheques for old "drop box"" applications. It says so in their old guidance notes, and I did it for my friend.

Have no idea what's going on now. No doubt Topfiled will tell us in capital letters tonight.

Can't wait for the latest installment about those "Idiots from Chennai" :D

(This thread could become longer than the "Thaksin Resigns" thread. :o)

GOOD QUESTION ! YOU WILL HAVE YOUR ANSWER TOMORROW BEFORE 6 PM AS I AM SENDING MY STAFF THERE TO ASK AND WILL POST THEIR REPLY

What business is it you run?

The British Embassy stopped accepting cash for visa applications some time before the outsourcing centre opened. It is worth noting that it is the embassy that insist on a 'bankers draft', VFS, when asking for their fee for postal applications etc. say 'demand draft.' (See this page, for example.)

VFS are not some fly by night company, they have run similar operations for both the UK and other countries for some time. In Thailand they also run the visa application services for, among others, Australia.

Topfield, whatever your motives, your comments about Indians gives one the feeling thatthis forum would be more to your liking than here.

For goodness sake READ the earlier posting and you would not write such rubbish. The earlier posting stated clearly that the British Embassy insisted on cashiers cheques up to the date the Indian outfit took over. Read also..or phone the Consul ...and you will see that cashiers cheques are accepted by the Embassy in payment of consular services.

The visa section at the Embassy take NO PAYMENTS WHATSOEVER from the public now. All payments must be made to the Indian Co which won the bidding for the contract to outsource applications.

Did you not read the ad in the Bangkok Post inviting bids ? Did you not read that an Indian Co won the bidding.? If it were a German Co that won then it would be a German outfit. It is idiotic to extreme to object to the nationality of a Co being mentioned.

Tony Blair himself only last week mentioned that both the water and the electricity supplied to Downing St St are supplied by a French Co !

Your remark about the Indian Co being refered to , albeit in the negative, as a fly by night Co' is shamefully defamatory and libellous and your refering to this financially sound and properly established Indian Co in this way could get you into deep trouble, so chose your words carefully my friend.

Your remark about the Indian Co being refered to , albeit in the negative, as a fly by night Co' is shamefully defamatory and libellous and your refering to this financially sound and properly established Indian Co in this way could get you into deep trouble, so chose your words carefully my friend.
I wonder why you are suddenly referring to them as a "financially sound and properly established Indian Co" after your derogatory comments about them earlier. Backpedaling rather furiously, aren't you? Someone said something to you?
Did you not read the ad in the Bangkok Post inviting bids ?
Did you? Did you bid? I notice that you don't want to say what type of business you run. I wonder why that is.

BTW, please don't address me as "my friend" as I would not want anyone to get the false impression that this could in any way be the case.

Ok all for the answer to my question in simple terms here goes.

I called the VFS today and said how do I pay when applying via post she said a bankers draft.

So I said to her can you explain the difference of a Bankers Draft/cashier's Cheque to my Thai GF.

She did and I got this from my GF

Cashier's Cheque you go to bank and ask for a "cashier's Cheque"

Bankers Draft you go to the bank a ask for a "draft"

She says we don't call it a bankers draft we just call it a "draft" so thats why when you may go to the bank they don't know what your on about when you say "can I have a Bankers Draft" and give you a cashier's cheque.

If anyone wants to correct me please do. I'm also going to post this in the other relating thread for everyones info.

Ash :o