would you recommend relocating to Thailand to friends back home?

willyumiii

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had the same feel, but that's what's forming new relationships is all about. Being in Thailand with this "Yes" or "Up to You" people have taken away from the 'casual sit down & talk' from social being. It's still there, just give it some effort.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Well! On what basis would you 'recommend'?

From your experience, How much do you know about Thailand?

I was in Bangkok yesterday, and I lived there for 5 years, and thought thank the lord I don't live here any more!

I was in the Chiang Mai house and just got in before the smoke closed the airport..on the road to ruin, too.

I used to live in Phuket and Trang; (I like hot sea!) before the Russians came! Are you going to suggest they live in

Korat or Hat Yai?

I live here, now, in what Thai people, let alone

my friends, think is the wilderness, in a small provincial capital; because I have a wife, a family; my children have

friends and go to school, however useless. They will have jobs, houses; all the things that have disappeared in Europe.

It is far from ideal; but where is? Here it is a bit like somewhere like Farnham or even Shrewsbury in the UK.

I like the climate, I like what passes for culture, I miss good book shops, (but I can buy almost everything I want from

Kinokuniya on the internet or even Amazon) and salami and cheese and the theatre; (my wife has everything, ordered on

the internet, for her shops delivered from BKK in 24 hours) but any 'disadvantages' are more than made up for by 24 hourstreet markets, endless festivals, and anyway we have Big C, Makro and Tesco Lotus if you really want to

shop. More importantly we have a beautiful house,a beautiful garden bought for threepence............

And it has an airport..I can be in BKK in an hour

I went to almost every Asian and S.American Country to work; Thailand was clearly a preferable place to live.

It was always my dream, when young, to live in Provence, but luckily I only

did so briefly................depends what your friends want!!

Edited by laolover88

Easy yes for me as I already have. I good friend of mine from Canada got in at my company. I told him the single best thing you can do is live outside of Canada and not pay tax. Being a guy who likes money he agreed. He is a bit stubborn to try to learn the language but he loves the weather and beaches. Now I do believe it would depend on the person. We all know people from back home who are not ment to travel.

Depends on the friends. It takes a special kind of person yo live here. Someone who is willing to adapt and fit in, someone who realizes the west isn't right about everything, someone who is willing to change and willing to go along to get along.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ X using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

If the person wants to witness how different a place can be from more mature societies in the west, yes

If the person wants cheap sex or companionship, yes

If the person wants to instantly raise his intelligence relative to the surrounding population, yes

otherwise, no

If somebody had to move here just to feel more intelligent I'd advise them to stay at home. Some of the posts I read on here certainly reassure me of my superior intelligence though. smile.png

Mature societies.......?

Cheap Sex?

Surrounding youself with lower intelligence to look good?

Sounds pretty pathetic....not anything close to what most of us come for.

A new adventure after a lifetime of a droll work environment.

A warmer climate.

Lower cost of living.

Companionship with like minded farangs

Perhaps a good relationship with a lady who don't weigh a ton and a half

Cheaper health care for those over sixty, who cannot get that at home.

A beach view....a few laughs with friends...something exotic to write home about

It can be positive.

" Perhaps a good relationship with a lady who don't weigh a ton and a half "

Take that out of the equation and 90% of farangs wouldn't stay here for more than a few months.

The other 10% are gay !!!

Edited by nanapong
  • Like 2

After 20+ years I would have to say NO, unless they are very superficial and not critical to what kind of world Thailand has become in the last 10 years.

However there are still some good places, especially down South and with plenty of disposable income some people might make it their own paradise.

Living here or being a 1-mth. tourist in a nice resort are two very different pairs of shoes. MS>

• Like 1

Depends on the friends. It takes a special kind of person yo live here. Someone who is willing to adapt and fit in, someone who realizes the west isn't right about everything, someone who is willing to change and willing to go along to get along.

i [not so] humbly beg to disagree. completing with a non-Thai wife soon 10 years in Thailand. our life in Thailand is very comfortable without "adapting" (but accepting certain circumstances which are beyond our control) and we definitely did not "fit in" nor are we willing to "fit in".

summary: we like Thailand. once in a while we bitch a bit, but smile and think "TIT".

• Like 1

i [not so] humbly beg to disagree. completing with a non-Thai wife soon 10 years in Thailand. our life in Thailand is very comfortable without "adapting" (but accepting certain circumstances which are beyond our control) and we definitely did not "fit in" nor are we willing to "fit in".

summary: we like Thailand. once in a while we bitch a bit, but smile and think "TIT".

If you want more serenity and peace, perhaps adapting to the things not under your control would be beneficial. It takes courage smile.png

• Like 1

Higher cost of living compared to size & quality of space, or quality of food, or quality of anything, if not living like a peasant, horrible pollution, hot & humid all year long, the most expensive & worst wine in the entire world, the worst international food whether by restaurant or available for cooking, a country without sanitation laws, without ANY health laws whatsoever including serving spoiled food to customers without any liability (in other words, if you get the most severe food poisoning, you're still required to either pay the bill or go to jail); in all foreigners have less rights than the day laborer Burmese.

The only thing attractive about this country is no individual income, (most places, no) sales (but if, than 17%), or yearly if any, property Taxes. Or if you're unattractive, old past your means, obese or socially inept, than easy pay, beautiful young women.

Will always deter people away, far away from this country.

• Like 2

you think so yes))) nice place to relocate yes ok have a view this u-tube then you tell me if your only going to live there to get ripped off or not there are 2 more recently done u-tubes circulating one shows and old ferang getting beaten & bashed for his property in the northern provinces ! family set him right up --its time to remove the rose colored glasses guys'' before crimson turns to blood - would you relocate -- to their??? after seeing this u-tube ???? plus 2 other new ones that are out ??

1 american just had losses close to 500k ------------- another i know last week supporting a family near 3 years she was all scam losses to him $51 k usd -lovely place eh / not !

talk about---- come in spinner !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STCpKDAmKSs

• Like 1

It would depend on what the person was looking to do here, if they wanted to start a business, buy a house, take a chance on civil unrest, buy a Harley at a decent price, work in your garden with out being bit by a snake and I could come up with a lot more, then I would say no, if the person came here for Cheap rent, good food, scenery, Cheap Medical, beautiful women then I would say yes.

• Like 1

Ironhorse10, forgot about that. Having lived in Issan. The daily incursions of snakes, millipedes & wasp nests all over the house. Centipedes from 12 inches to 1 meter long traveling either through the grass or hanging from the tree branches. Ants galore. Mosquitos, knats, flies, all by the billion, daily. And every single insect bites or stings, ferocious itch or pain.

I have recomened to friends, 1 is retired over here with me now and a few will be joining us later when they retire in a few years --4 are married to Thai girls a few others will visit and decide if they would like it here long time. I have had 5 friends send thier kids over on hooneymoons and eco vacations, Being an expat is not for evewryone but doesn't mean I don't recomend Thailand to visit and check out. All have pensions as well as other assets when they retire.

NOW THE MAN ABOVE CAN SEE THROUGH THE GLASS ))))))) WHAT I WANT TO KNOW--- IS WHEN IS SOMEBODY GOING TO CLEAN UP ALL THE SCAM ? - HOW MANY PEOPLE HAVE TO LOSE THEIR LOT--------- BEFORE SOME BRAVE JOHNNY STANDS UP DEFIANT---- AND SAYS OK WE ARE GOING TO FIX THIS !

THE PLACE NEEDS A CLEANUP TOTALLY!

No, as my home country offers them a more secure life than Thailand would.

That's all right if you don't mind lots of wind and rain, paying lots and lots of taxes, and living a week to week existence, unless of course, you are very rich. I am only referring to the UK here.

• Like 1

NOW THE MAN ABOVE CAN SEE THROUGH THE GLASS ))))))) WHAT I WANT TO KNOW--- IS WHEN IS SOMEBODY GOING TO CLEAN UP ALL THE SCAM ? - HOW MANY PEOPLE HAVE TO LOSE THEIR LOT--------- BEFORE SOME BRAVE JOHNNY STANDS UP DEFIANT---- AND SAYS OK WE ARE GOING TO FIX THIS !

THE PLACE NEEDS A CLEANUP TOTALLY!

Never happen. You alien, your problem, we have your cash, get on with it, we no care...............coffee1.gif

• Like 1

If the person wants to witness how different a place can be from more mature societies in the west, yes

If the person wants cheap sex or companionship, yes

If the person wants to instantly raise his intelligence relative to the surrounding population, yes

otherwise, no

I am guessing that as far as the third reason you give, you are the exception that proves the rule.

I have recomened to friends, 1 is retired over here with me now and a few will be joining us later when they retire in a few years --4 are married to Thai girls a few others will visit and decide if they would like it here long time. I have had 5 friends send thier kids over on hooneymoons and eco vacations, Being an expat is not for evewryone but doesn't mean I don't recomend Thailand to visit and check out. All have pensions as well as other assets when they retire.

Eco Vacation in Thailand, are you kidding!! And you live here. You know Eco refers as an energy friendly environment not economic friendly, but both are a huge MISS here either way. You must be way out in the sticks & probably given, the 1st expat of the country.