would you recommend relocating to Thailand to friends back home?

willyumiii

Never - I live in Australia and its one of the greatest and safest places in the free world. Corruption, lawlessness, no road rules, drugs etc.... all in the lovely land of smiles.....

Right, cos we dont have ferals like that in Oz, do we ? No corrupt politicians or freaks on the roads - it's just one big, happy family.

Aaah, Utopia - nothing quite like it. ;)

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The more i read threads on this forum, the more i realize how many expats hate the country they are in and the people in it. Must be quite a miserable life here.

Is it really that difficult to leave?

Sadly, I suspect that you've hit the nail on the head. When the British pound slumped to record lows against the baht, many here threatened to leave - I believe a few did go back to the UK, but the majority remained in Thailand. We also have the periodic 'Is there a better country somewhere near here ?' threads - a lot of pros and cons get tossed around but that seems to be as far as it goes. Ironically, the Cambo sub-forum on this board is characterised by the number of posters prepared to give excellent info that would aid anyone looking to make a move : total contrast to the negativity in GD. That's life.

Most people I know could not adapt... I am adapting ... finding ways to have what I want in the ways of food, drink, medicine, comfort... Adapting to how living conditions are different -- but quite livable if you have a mind to make it livable. Most people I know - especially members of my family back home in the U.S. just could not handle Thailand - no matter how much it has improved in the last 10-20 years... Most Americans want unquestioned comfort as they have always known it and are not really willing to adapt to something different -- something not found back home (bathrooms different, light switches - where are they why not just like back home, meat handling, odors, sounds, language, and a whole lot more. All of 'back home' can be found here - but at a price for the 'Full Monte'... and many Americans do not have the kind of money needed to reproduce their exact American lifestyle here in Thailand. By this I mean most people I know back in the USA just could not live in a place for more than a couple of weeks that was not as they fully know it back home... One in Ten maybe...

On a case by case method -- very limited I could recommend to a few - come live in Thailand.

Tend to agree with you in principle but I would suggest that the ability to adapt though critical is simple not enough. To survive you need to learn to ignore.

For those brought up in a western culture, Holiday, perhaps but to relocate absolutely not. Tenure in this country is fragile and bureaucratic and they rights of the individual are as solid as their so called democracy. It takes a certain breed of cat to live here and is most certainly not for everyone.

Never - I live in Australia and its one of the greatest and safest places in the free world. Corruption, lawlessness, no road rules, drugs etc.... all in the lovely land of smiles.....

Haha, obvious sarcasm.

No drugs in Oz............ blink.png

No Corruption................cheesy.gif

No lawlessness...............laugh.png

No road rules ....................w00t.gif

After 20+ years I would have to say NO,

So what keeps you here ?

Because some of us have learned how to deal with stuff and let it go over our heads, eyes wide open, many have not.

Nothing to do with "why are you still here". smile.png

So what keeps you here ?

Because some of us have learned how to deal with stuff and let it go over our heads, eyes wide open, many have not.

Disagree.

If I didn't like living here, I'd be out of here in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

So what keeps you here ?

Disagree.

If I didn't like living here, I'd be out of here in a heartbeat.

I also like living here. But because of that I would not recommend it to all my friends in my home country. This kind of life and lifestyle is not great for all people

• Like 1

I agree, Thailand is not for everyone.

I also like living here. But because of that I would not recommend it to all my friends in my home country. This kind of life and lifestyle is not great for all people

Many posters on ThaiVisa who do nothing but whinge and whine, cements this view, yet they still stay, that's the part I don't understand.

Edited by 10Yen
  • Like 1

If you want to learn to hate it quick....then spend your days with the rest of the whiners, angry at everything because the 19 year old hooker from the gogo bar ripped them off.

Otherwise, get yourself a non-bar type relationship...... do not hang out at sleezy massage parlors and hooker havens. Get out to a nicer part of the country where people just live normal lives.

Same idea as not living in the red light district anywheres. Get the hay out and away. If you need that, fly in for a few days, indulge yourself, then get back to some cleaner living. You will find in not so bad.

• Like 1

Many posters on ThaiVisa who do nothing but whinge and whine, cements this view, yet they still stay, that's the part I don't understand.

Son, unfortunately you never will.

Show me where I have "whinged and whined" in this thread...................am waiting..................smile.png

I would advise you read the topic title again after you've plugged your brain in, theres a good lad..........thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

If you want to learn to hate it quick....then spend your days with the rest of the whiners, angry at everything because the 19 year old hooker from the gogo bar ripped them off.

Otherwise, get yourself a non-bar type relationship...... do not hang out at sleezy massage parlors and hooker havens. Get out to a nicer part of the country where people just live normal lives.

Same idea as not living in the red light district anywheres. Get the hay out and away. If you need that, fly in for a few days, indulge yourself, then get back to some cleaner living. You will find in not so bad.

When old guys in the States talk about getting a new Tranny they mean a part for their car.

Below was a photo of me before I got to Pattaya. Why I used to think Hooker was a general in the American Civil war.

post-187908-0-77776600-1395997772_thumb.

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1

Show me where I have "whinged and whined" in this thread...................am waiting..................smile.png

I would advise you read the topic title again after you've plugged your brain in, theres a good lad..........thumbsup.gif

Hi Dad, So, oh great Sage, why do people who don't like Thailand or Thai people choose to stay here, its not a penal colony, they are free to leave whenever they choose, so oh great learned one, why do they do it ?

I suppose one could spend every waking hour on an anonymous internet forum, wouldn't really matter where you lived, you never go out anyway..

Tell me about it. I could be in Milton Keynes for all I see of the outside world.

Edited by inthepink
  • Like 1

Yes get a farmer girl from Isaan. Then buy a house for her family. And stay ten people in that house with nothing to do. That's a great living ;)

Yes get a farmer girl from Isaan. Then buy a house for her family. And stay ten people in that house with nothing to do. That's a great living wink.png

Not applicable to ThaiVisa members, they've all hooked Thai Chinese girls from rich and powerful families, or so they say..............................maybe they're telling fibs ?

Yes get a farmer girl from Isaan. Then buy a house for her family. And stay ten people in that house with nothing to do. That's a great living wink.png

That must be why there is such a large population from Scandinavia here. I thought they came for the Wats.

• Like 1

I think Noi657 has it, in that it depends on how satisfied you are with the life you live back home but as beachproperty says, "you can lead a horse to water.....

Without being free to come here, having a longing for adventure, for something truly different and a deep dissatisfaction with the way your life is in your home country, you won't be staying here full-time so it would be useless to recommend it to such a person.

And as we all know, living here full-time is accepting the place for what it is and different from living here part-time or holidaying here when you'll probably enjoy it but your heart is or maybe your business interests which you feel can't be left unsupervised by yourself are, back home.

• Like 1

No to the OP question

If Australia is so safe why does every cop carry a gun?

Hi Dad, So, oh great Sage, why do people who don't like Thailand or Thai people choose to stay here, its not a penal colony, they are free to leave whenever they choose, so oh great learned one, why do they do it ?

Folk like yourself will never understand the written word. Blinkered comes to mind, lack of education perhaps.

YOU, show me where I have said I do not like my life here in Thailand or Thai people.. GO ON, show us all, Oh blinkered one. Show me. I am waiting........coffee1.gif

Edited by transam

The last people my 'Isaan farm girl' would want staying in our home is her family. She used to hate living with them and likes our privacy. Yet she doesn't complain about my parents staying.

I think these stories about the entire family coming to live at your house is very exaggerated and probably doesn't happen as often as we like to say it does on Thai Visa. I challenge someone to do a poll if they think otherwise biggrin.png

• Like 1

The last people my 'Isaan farm girl' would want staying in our home is her family. She used to hate living with them and likes our privacy. Yet she doesn't complain about my parents staying.

I think these stories about the entire family coming to live at your house is very exaggerated and probably doesn't happen as often as we like to say it does on Thai Visa. I challenge someone to do a poll if they think otherwise biggrin.png

You might be surprised to see the results of the poll. If given the chance....ur question must be.

You might be surprised to see the results of the poll. If given the chance....ur question must be.

3 cars full of family. Mom stays the night with us and the rest stay at a hotel. Daytime 1 meal at my home and the others at restaurants. They visit 2 or 3 times a year.

To those who think cheap prostitutes, and/or gold digging wives make a place livable, even desirable-yes.

To all others , NO NO NO NO

It's an OK place to visit, (but a warning; it's a roll of the dice on safety, .) but no way would I recommend moving here.

IMGHO Thais intrinsically hate foreigners and make it as difficult as possible to reside and have a business because of this animosity.

They also have completely alien morals from western ones, and don't care about anything other that themselves, and money. They are so two faced in every way- smiling to disarm from nefarious intent, lying is simply a part of living, honesty a weak trait to be despised. I remember hearing long time residents tell me this when I first moved here, I was shocked at their bigotry, but now I know it's true.

Such a shame this lovely country is cursed with such a populace-I often think I love Thailand, it's the Thais who ruin it.

Edited by EBlair48

To those who think cheap prostitutes, and/or gold digging wives make a place livable, even desirable-yes.

It's an OK place to visit, (but a warning; it's a roll of the dice on safety, .) but no way would I recommend moving here.

INGHO Thais intrinsically hate foreigners and make it as difficult as possible to reside and have a business because of this animosity.

They also have completely alien morals from western ones, and don't care about anything other that themselves, and money. They are so two faced in every way- lying is simply a part of living. Honesty a weak trait to be despised. I remember hearing long time residents tell me this when I first moved here, I was shocked at their bigotry, but now I know it's true.

Such a shame this lovely country is cursed with such a populace-I often think I love Thailand, it's the Thais who ruin it.

The alien morals are the culture of any country & combined with most of the Region in an eastern direction. Though will give you the two-faced comment, which can also be referred as "Obama-faced" in America or whatever the other western countries use to interpret their own gov-terminology for the same. Other than that, you're purely ranting like a loon. You sound more like a sex-tourist that got the bad bites or takes & now going off while sitting comfortably back in your own country.

This is ASIA, not some simplistic white trash town from the Americas. There's culture here. Seems better to research a bit before condemning. If you know how to turn on a computer, should take you 5min to an hour or more depending on your reading/comprehension skills.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

INGHO Thais intrinsically hate foreigners and make it as difficult as possible to reside and have a business because of this animosity.

They also have completely alien morals from western ones, and don't care about anything other that themselves, and money. They are so two faced in every way- lying is simply a part of living. Honesty a weak trait to be despised. I remember hearing long time residents tell me this when I first moved here, I was shocked at their bigotry, but now I know it's true.

The alien morals are the culture of any country & combined with most of the Region in an eastern direction. Though will give you the two-faced comment, which can also be referred as "Obama-faced" in America or whatever the other western countries use to interpret their own gov-terminology for the same. Other than that, you're purely ranting like a loon. You sound more like a sex-tourist that got the bad bites or takes & now going off while sitting comfortably back in your own country.

This is ASIA, not some simplistic white trash town from the Americas. There's culture here. Seems better to research a bit before condemning. If you know how to turn on a computer, should take you 5min to an hour or more depending on your reading/comprehension skills.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Every country has a culture, why bring the America's into your negativity. Yeh LOS has a culture and also a culture that folk don't see. Forget your PC and experience reality...................coffee1.gif

Depends on the friends. It takes a special kind of person yo live here. Someone who is willing to adapt and fit in, someone who realizes the west isn't right about everything, someone who is willing to change and willing to go along to get along.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ X using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

i [not so] humbly beg to disagree. completing with a non-Thai wife soon 10 years in Thailand. our life in Thailand is very comfortable without "adapting" (but accepting certain circumstances which are beyond our control) and we definitely did not "fit in" nor are we willing to "fit in".

summary: we like Thailand. once in a while we bitch a bit, but smile and think "TIT".

If you want more serenity and peace, perhaps adapting to the things not under your control would be beneficial. It takes courage smile.png

we don't adapt to things beyond our control, we just ignore them. for us "beyond control" means e.g. the weather. we ignore the heat in Thailand and run airconditioning and in another home abroad we ignore the cold and use heating in winter. adapting to hot or cold weather is for courageous people who (perhaps) reap huge benefits with adaption. but we are not interested in these "benefits" and leave them to those who are craving for them laugh.png

ignoring all Thai things which might bother us gives us all the serenity and peace of mind we require. of course our experience having lived in half a dozen different countries helps a lot.