LED TV vs Plasma TV

SkyRider

I bought an LED smart TV to replace my old Plasma and my electric bill went down about 2000 Baht a month. My wife watches a lot of TV so you probably won't get the same savings. My 55 inch LED uses 124 watts and my 50 inch Plasma uses 450 watts. Go with the LED

I bought an LED smart TV to replace my old Plasma and my electric bill went down about 2000 Baht a month. My wife watches a lot of TV so you probably won't get the same savings. My 55 inch LED uses 124 watts and my 50 inch Plasma uses 450 watts. Go with the LED

If your tv would be on 24/7 it would make a a difference of 234 Kwh a month which would mean a saving of about 900 Baht .

• Like 2

If your tv would be on 24/7 it would make a a difference of 234 Kwh a month which would mean a saving of about 900 Baht .

Maybe the other Bt.1100 is the saving from the AC not being used as much. my plasma belts out an amazing amount of heat.

• Like 2

I had plasma TV's when I was living in my house up north and the picture quality was stunning, even after a couple of years. The downside for me though, was that I got regular headaches, seemingly from watching more than a few hours of TV. When I moved out, I bought a new TV and chose LED, and I no longer get headaches from being a coach potato.

If I had a choice I would go for OLED, but they are stupid prices at the moment, so I will have to wait.

I just can't believe this. 2'000 Baht less per month, replacing a plasma for a LED TV? C'mon! We have two 50" plasma TVs and the one who looks all the time is our daughter. She has almost 200 kids movies to choose from, My last bill from February was 2'850 Baht. My main computer is on 24 hours, we have two large refrigerators, 2 freezers, an oven we use almost every day, electric cooking plates. 60 down lights, 4 lights outside overnight. In February we also used a heater in the bathroom. If I would change my plasma TVs for LEDs would mean ...2'850 Baht - 4'000 = - 1'150. Doesn't make sense to me.

• Like 1

Plasma has darker blacks, increased risk of burn in (careful with pc/console static images), uses more electric and pumps out more heat.

2k sounds like exageration but the aircon savings will help.

They both have different picture characteristics that are suited differently for uses or personal taste. Go and watch your candidates and choose yourself.

I laugh at classifieds where people think their year old tv is good value with a 1000 baht discount, despite being available brand new even cheaper now.... but if you plan on resale then led will be better.

I would have swayed led, but seeing 55 inch plasmas for 20k in tescos, it is a bargain. 30k for led not bad either, always dropping and always growing.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

More realistic is that he would save 200 baht max. Edited by larsjohnsson
  • Like 1

The led tv's which the OP is talking about are most probably edge lit Led, which are basically lcd,These have led's at the edge of the screen.

Back lit led have as the word says led's behind the panel, which will be automatically "dimmed", which results in darker blacks and brighter whites comparable with plasma panels.

However back lit led's are only available in the high class ( high priced) series, and I'm not sure if currently Thailand has a model available.

So if you are a movie fanatic, plasma or back lit led are the way to go, where a back lit will cost you ate least 3 times the price of a full HD plasma in the same size.

For me Plasma is far better, not looking for another TV so no idea about the latest models........ Years old Panasonic 42' Plasma is still a very good perfect picture, the newer but still about 4 years old LED 42' is so so but nothing like the Plasma, and is only used in the bedroom, the Philips 32' LED cost 18,999 baht and picture is very poor, not to bad as use it only now as a PC monitor.. All are HD TV's all are connected via HDMi

about 4 years ago when I bought the 42' LED they still had the same Panasonic model Plasma, and cost less then 1/2 the price I paid a few years before.... I do wish I had bought it and not gone LED

Maybe is what your willing to pay ? appears 42' TV's range from under 20,000 baht to near 300,000 baht...... shopping last week noticed Promotion for a LED Panasonic 42' for 38,999 baht, problems in supermarkets is they run tapes/DVD's, at the time when I bought the Plasma I looked at many TV's and got the seller to also plug each make of TV in the TV Arial to view, at that time Panasonic was by far the best picture., and new on the market was just over 65,000 baht. [come down a lot since then] near the same price was LG Plasma on tape/DVD looked OK but connected via Arial was by far the worst..

The screen is only as good as the signal going in.

If you have high definition, digital cable, or you have blue ray , 3d etc.... got with the the best recommended for you.

I got all those crappy old movies in low definition of dvd ....and some marginal cable signals.

Thus my screen is just a basic LCD....more than capable of handling the signal input I have.

Would not throw money on anything more expensive, unless I had that capability (our cable does not)

you might want to prepare for the future....and upgrade anyways.

I have a 42" and a 51" plasma. Used the 42" for 6-7 years and still excellent image. Power consumption of newer plasma has improved over time. Prefer plasma over LCD (LED) as the contrasts are superb and color saturation. I only watch the bigger one at night so reflection glare is no issue for me. My wife uses the 42" day and night but no problem in either environment. Yep, calling the member out on the 2000 baht saving. My entire monthly bill with 2 plasmas, air, 2 refrigs, lots of other appliances is around 1.8k - 2.6k/month.

Burn in has been nearly eliminated with current technology so not a major issue anymore. The weakness as others have mentioned is the heat it generates.

Current technology seems to indicate it is the end of the road for plasma however and in this hot land the heating advantage of plasma is lost. For home theater type applications it may still be a better fit for image but for normal TV viewing of most people do not believe it is a good fit (and one of the reasons it's time has gone). I love a bargain but would not buy plasma at this point unless had theater type use for it. I have an aversion to excess heat in electronics/computers as this is normally an indication of faults so guess I may be driven by that in my distaste for plasma.rolleyes.gif

I also changed to transistors from tubes and even embrace digital audio.whistling.gif

For me Plasma is far better, not looking for another TV so no idea about the latest models........ Years old Panasonic 42' Plasma is still a very good perfect picture, the newer but still about 4 years old LED 42' is so so but nothing like the Plasma, and is only used in the bedroom, the Philips 32' LED cost 18,999 baht and picture is very poor, not to bad as use it only now as a PC monitor.. All are HD TV's all are connected via HDMi

about 4 years ago when I bought the 42' LED they still had the same Panasonic model Plasma, and cost less then 1/2 the price I paid a few years before.... I do wish I had bought it and not gone LED

Maybe is what your willing to pay ? appears 42' TV's range from under 20,000 baht to near 300,000 baht...... shopping last week noticed Promotion for a LED Panasonic 42' for 38,999 baht, problems in supermarkets is they run tapes/DVD's, at the time when I bought the Plasma I looked at many TV's and got the seller to also plug each make of TV in the TV Arial to view, at that time Panasonic was by far the best picture., and new on the market was just over 65,000 baht. [come down a lot since then] near the same price was LG Plasma on tape/DVD looked OK but connected via Arial was by far the worst..

I second that. In our Pattaya home we have an LG 50" plasma and a LG 42" plasma, in our upcountry home two LG 50" plasma. Absolutely stunning picture, all of them! Never had any problem with either of them. I never regretted my purchases. Bought them all at Numchai in Pattaya.

LED have better picture with higher quality then plasma

Not actually true.

Plasma is generally considered the more mature technology, with a far wider colour and contrast range than LED.

Plasma does run hotter and use more electricity, but not by significant amounts these days.

Best not to compare a 5 year old Plasma with a new LED, things have changed in the last 5 years.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

This explains it quite well:

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/difference-between-lcd-and-led.htm

I think that an LED TV has a better picture, but as was said earlier it depends on the Signal Quality going in.

One big improvement that everyone can make, is to have good quality low signal loss leads.

I replaced the Aerial Lead a few years back & got a much better picture. So often cheap leads don't fit the sockets tightly, which results in interference.

Mains lead are also very important - you can pay literally 1000's for them & yup, they do make a huge, noticeable difference.

This explains it quite well:

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/difference-between-lcd-and-led.htm

I think that an LED TV has a better picture, but as was said earlier it depends on the Signal Quality going in.

One big improvement that everyone can make, is to have good quality low signal loss leads.

I replaced the Aerial Lead a few years back & got a much better picture. So often cheap leads don't fit the sockets tightly, which results in interference.

Mains lead are also very important - you can pay literally 1000's for them & yup, they do make a huge, noticeable difference.

All of the TV's I have purchased already came with a mains lead attached. should I cut it off and replace with something better ?

• Like 1

AFAIK there will not be any more development of plasma so the current 720 is the best resolution (which is fine for most material today but with 1080 and above becoming more common will eventually be overtaken). The advantage, contrast, may be a double edged sward as the poster noted getting headaches easier watching plasma.

As for the above change of antenna lead (who uses an antenna lead these days?) yes it can make a difference but normally just change of the connector or adjustment of it does the trick. As for "mains" also at a loss to explain that but suspect he is talking A/V, HDMI cables and such. In which case I do not agree that people have to spend 1,000's of baht for name brand magic cables.

AFAIK there will not be any more development of plasma so the current 720 is the best resolution (which is fine for most material today but with 1080 and above becoming more common will eventually be overtaken). The advantage, contrast, may be a double edged sward as the poster noted getting headaches easier watching plasma.

As for the above change of antenna lead (who uses an antenna lead these days?) yes it can make a difference but normally just change of the connector or adjustment of it does the trick. As for "mains" also at a loss to explain that but suspect he is talking A/V, HDMI cables and such. In which case I do not agree that people have to spend 1,000's of baht for name brand magic cables.

What do you mean 720 is the best resolution ?

All my plasma's are 1080p , and Panasonic has a 8K (7,680 x 4320 pixels) resolution.

All my plasma's are 1080p , and Panasonic has a 8K (7,680 x 4320 pixels) resolution.

Would love an 8K panasonic. what size have you got ?

Would love an 8K panasonic. what size have you got ?

The Panasonic is a 145" , didn't say that I owned one though.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Panasonic-Intros-145-Inch-8K-Resolution-Plasma-Display-266780.shtml

Did i read some where recently that they have stopped making plasma tv`s ?

and is that the reason that most outlets are selling them off cheap to get rid of

old stock?.....i dunno

Panasonic stopped making them this month. AFAIK Samsung and LG are still making them.

For me it's easy - unless it's to be used in a bright room, get a plasma. Nothing else matters.

Not sure about this headache stuff - I'm very sensitive to that sort of thing, but no problem with my plasma. Can imagine a plasma in the US at 60hz might be an issue though. Or perhaps a plasma in the rest of the world displaying 24p content at 48 or something along those lines. (edit: or perhaps sitting very close to a massive screen might do it).

Edited by taotoo
  • Like 1