A cellphone and mobile dinosaur

IMA_FARANG

whistling.gif O.k. I admit it I'm a old fashioned mobile and cellphone dinosaur.

The thing is my U.S.bank has started this new "improved" security procedure.

Now for me to log in using my ATM card on line they will send me a text message on my mobile phone ith a "code" word.

I must enter rhat code word to get my ATM card approved for my on-line purchase to be approved.

This is a U.S. bank and so far it hasn't worked.

So i can't prchase any thing online with that card.

I'm here in Thailand.

Is it the fact that their "text" messaage simply won't work here in Thailand from the U.S.

whistling.gif

I don't think it has anything to do with the sms message from the usa. My Dutch bank uses the same system for internet banking and i receive the sms within seconds after the request. So the best thing to do is contact your bank.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Not sure what you mean when you said 'it hasn't worked'. Do you mean you got the code but it won't work or you can't receive the code?

In my case, I use an Aussie bank which sends a 6-digit code to my phone here in Thailand via SMS but the SIM must be Aus issued. My bank won't send codes to non-Aus issued SIMs. Perhaps it's the same with your bank.

The text message will not arrive because it is blocked by your Thai network provider. You will need to request to unblock the incoming message.

Reason they block it automatically is because it can cost you quite some money, as you pay from the US border to the receiving country, and it can involve a few network providers.

Don't ask me the details but I had a similar issue with my bank, and both AIS and my bank confirmed that such a message could cost me about 50 Baht each time.

An alternative would be to create a Google Voice account that uses a permanent US phone number, then Google+ or Google Hangouts can forward the SMS directly to any device (phone or PC) that's logged in.

Though, to be honest, this would completely circumvents the 2-part security the 'out of band' mobile phone sms text was designed to provide -- by separating the authentication code from being seen by anyone viewing your Internet activity.

It could still be used if the device logged into Google Voice (Google+ or Hangouts) using a different Internet connection.

Just a thought.

Why not get a credit card from the same bank (or a different one if you like.) Then you can make online purchases just by entering the card's three-digit security code. If you get a card that gives you 1% back or frequent flyer points, you'll come out ahead so long as you pay off the balance by the due date. Some of my friends pay the day following their purchase because it gives them the feeling that they're using an ATM card. You can Google for the best credit card deals though if you're retired, your present bank may grant approval easier than institutions that you don't know - especially if you don't have a credit score in your home country. In my experience, credit unions are the most liberal in approving credit cards.

I don't think it has anything to do with the sms message from the usa. My Dutch bank uses the same system for internet banking and i receive the sms within seconds after the request. So the best thing to do is contact your bank.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Same with my bank in Australia, although I still keep an Australian Mobile (Cellphone) and top-up the credit every 6-months, via my Australian Bank.

Suggest you contact your US Bank via "smoke signals" or whatever. Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...
An alternative would be to create a Google Voice account that uses a permanent US phone number

Unfortunately this will not work, at least it does not work for me using BofA. Banks using SMS OTP services in the U.S. only interface with recognized mobile service providers, and may not deliver SMSes internationally. T-Mobile now roams to Thailand so I can get BofA SMS OTPs here. AFAIK, AIS, DTAC and TrueMove H do not block incoming international SMSes, I receive several each day.

The OP will have to share more details, specifically the bank.