Solutions for a noisy pub

karl2007

Hello,

I have been living in the same apartment for the last 10 years now. About 6 months ago a pub opened opposite me that plays music and karaoke every night from about 6pm until up to 4 am. The music is very is very loud with the base and even though I close my windows I can still hear it clearly, its very frustrating and annoying.

My landlady used to call the police and at first the police did tell them to close the music, but the next day it will be the same again. This went on for about a month, Now the police just ignore this and don't do anything to stop this. Sometime the volume goes up just after we have complained.

My landlady and I started to call the Bangkok Governor call centre (1555). They were very helpfull and I spoke to them nearly every week for about a month. The music went quite for about a month, still noisy but not as bad. However, a few weeks ago, the noise as gone back to the same level as it was when it first opened. My landlady doesn't want to do anymore about this now, I think she is fed up with calling the police and 1555. So it looks like I am on my own and I am just wondering has anyone else experienced something like this, and how did they solve it? My girlfriend doesn't feel comfortable about calling the police now either.

I think the only solution is for me to more apartments, but I don't want to go through the whole connivence of moving. Especially, that I have a lot of benefits living here and is nicely located for my work and friends. This neighborhood used to be very quiet and peaceful.

I am the only farlang living here and I don't understand why the other Thais don't complain about this. It just seems to be me that has a problem with this pub and everyone else just accepts it.

I was thinking of contacting a lawyer, but I don't want to start paying money out to solve a simple problem. I don't want to speak to the owners of the pub, as I don't want them to know its me that is complaining about them.

Anyone have any ideas?

I agree entirely with Wym. This is Thailand. Why do Thais just accept all the sh1t in their life's? I don't know! Education, or lack of it, I'm sure plays a major role.

Why do they simply accept a government that openly steals all the country's money? Why do they accept that their country has the highest road death rate in the civilised world? Why do they accept the pathetically poor service and workmanship in all walks of life? As is all too often said on Thaivisa, we are guests here. Many of the things that the Thais accept are the very reasons why we are here. Accept the good with bad, until the bad outweighs the good.

On a more positive note Karl, put some sound proofing linings on your curtains and you'll be further amazed at just how quickly you get so used to the noise that you hardly or don't even notice it anymore - a bit like people who live next to busy rail roads or airports.

Good luck !

Id tell the landlord you are moving and that the new tenants will probably only want to pay 50% of the rent, if she can even find anyone, to live across from a noisy pub. That should get her further cooperation.

I doubt the new tenants will check the noise levels at midnight or after.

I'm a little disgruntled that the quiet pub nearest me has changed hands and now is frequented by little boys who try to impress the little girls by revving the engines on their toy cars in the small hours of the morning, and by vociferously boisterous Liverpool fans.

The worst of it is that the other end of my sleep is punctuated by the Imam going off on his "Heeeelllooo Glasssgooow!" at 0630. Though I've not seen him around since he learnt that the KGB had been disbanded....

SC

I doubt the new tenants will check the noise levels at midnight or after.

I'm a little disgruntled that the quiet pub nearest me has changed hands and now is frequented by little boys who try to impress the little girls by revving the engines on their toy cars in the small hours of the morning, and by vociferously boisterous Liverpool fans.

The worst of it is that the other end of my sleep is punctuated by the Imam going off on his "Heeeelllooo Glasssgooow!" at 0630. Though I've not seen him around since he learnt that the KGB had been disbanded....

SC

The KGB have been disbanded ?!?

When the F did that happen ?

Very upsetting and regrettable, but sounds like its time to move.

Wym has pretty much covered it.

The alternative would be to find an ex-KGB member to blow the place up, but it might be easier to move

The problem here would finding an ex-KGB member in the first place, as I believe they're taught to be covert. Then you have to tell them that the KGB has in fact now been disbanded. Might come as too much of a shock to them and (according to most 007 movies I've watched) they can be quite twitchy bestards. I'd go with move if I were you.

• Like 1

On a more positive note Karl, put some sound proofing linings on your curtains and you'll be further amazed at just how quickly you get so used to the noise that you hardly or don't even notice it anymore - a bit like people who live next to busy rail roads or airports.

Good luck !

Sound proofing linings? Do they really exist? Used to have some black out linings back in the day of late nights and late rises, but never heard of sound proofing lining.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ XA using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Good luck !

Sound proofing linings? Do they really exist? Used to have some black out linings back in the day of late nights and late rises, but never heard of sound proofing lining.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ XA using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

soundhq.blogspot.com/2012/01/three-types-of-soundproofing-curtains.html?m=1

• Like 1

We lived in a place near a pub that had problems keeping tenants for the same reason. At some point the landlord had put in double glazing -- really double glazing -- sliding glass doors on the front of the walls with windows. There was an air gap of about 5 inches between the two sets of windows. It worked really great, but of course you had to leave the windows closed and aircon on year round.

Explain to your landlady that this is what she's going to have to do if she has any hope of keeping tenants in the place. It wasn't cheap to install those glass walls at each level in the shophouse. It may be possible to get the pub out now. In the case of our place, the pub was already there when the landlord decided to convert a shophouse into residential housing.

It was a bummer not to be able to open the windows and enjoy cool nights because of pub noise, but at least we knew what we were getting into when we decided to rent the place.

Edited by NancyL

as much as you complain i bet the pub knows its you complaining. I think nother dont complain because nothing will get done-the only thing is they will become targets for tom-foolorey. -which may include violence. money and violence go hand in hand.

as much as you complain i bet the pub knows its you complaining. I think nother dont complain because nothing will get done-the only thing is they will become targets for tom-foolorey. -which may include violence. money and violence go hand in hand.

Is that difficult to have a normal conversation with people, and that include the pub owner in that case, to share your thought, that as much as he has the right to operate a business, the neighboor have the right to live in a less noisy environment?

Have a few beer with him ... he is a human too, and can surely understand your perspective, and you - his perspective (provided you can find both a language to communicate).

You may find out the guy is not that dangerous ... or not. But at least, you will know what are your possible options.

While I had problem with my neighboor's restaurant, we discussed how to best position their HP speakers to minimise the noise.

A previous tenant, was less receptive to discussion. The cops, the people at the district, the Department of Pollution Control ... and his restaurant was closed.

That day, I should have taken a picture of the notification at the entrance. Priceless.

With the new tenant, I stop-by from time to time to discuss how the business is going.

Very good exercice on how to manage a conflict ... in a non conflictual manner.