Can anyone relate to this?

khunpa

I guess I pretty much understand your feelings and emotions. I haven't burnt bridges to Germany, where I was born and truly see this country here as my home.

I know the strange feeling, when going to the country, you're holding a passport from, but you can't relate to anything that's going on there.

I think it's all about time. Time to find out where your heart belongs to. Time to have friends you can rely on. Time to spend with your own family having kids and actually having responsibility for everything you're doing.

Yep, I also feel like a stranger when I visit my country of origin for a short time. People are so serious, money seems to be the most important thing. Okay, we all need it, but I do not make it to the center of the universe for my Thai family and me.

I should add that I'm living here for more than 12 years and speaking the language, understanding the problems here, but must post importantly having friends here.

People you can talk to when you have a problem, people who are there when you need them and vice versa.

It's pretty strange when I come back home to Thailand from Germany. Once arrived at the airport in Bangkok, I take something off, let's say a jacket, which I call Germany.

Then I feel back home, people understand my jokes, nobody is so serious about unimportant things. Well, I'd assume it's all who you meet, as usually the people who're surrounding you make you to that what and who you are.

I think you've got only a little crisis, once understood what really matters in life, then you'll find your own way.

But in the end, doesn't really matter how old you're right now, you'll find out that life's too short to be serious about certain things.Life's too short, no need to run, it's a wonderful life.

Wish you the best, you never walk alone, even when you've got the feeling to do so sometimes. Kind regards from lower northeast.-wai2.gif

Can u tell us a german joke ? I have never heard 1.

For the rest ....a good comment.....written with a heart and a mind.

You might have heard some, but didn't get them

Rudi Carell.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I pretty much understand your feelings and emotions. I haven't burnt bridges to Germany, where I was born and truly see this country here as my home.

I know the strange feeling, when going to the country, you're holding a passport from, but you can't relate to anything that's going on there.

I think it's all about time. Time to find out where your heart belongs to. Time to have friends you can rely on. Time to spend with your own family having kids and actually having responsibility for everything you're doing.

Yep, I also feel like a stranger when I visit my country of origin for a short time. People are so serious, money seems to be the most important thing. Okay, we all need it, but I do not make it to the center of the universe for my Thai family and me.

I should add that I'm living here for more than 12 years and speaking the language, understanding the problems here, but must post importantly having friends here.

People you can talk to when you have a problem, people who are there when you need them and vice versa.

It's pretty strange when I come back home to Thailand from Germany. Once arrived at the airport in Bangkok, I take something off, let's say a jacket, which I call Germany.

Then I feel back home, people understand my jokes, nobody is so serious about unimportant things. Well, I'd assume it's all who you meet, as usually the people who're surrounding you make you to that what and who you are.

I think you've got only a little crisis, once understood what really matters in life, then you'll find your own way.

But in the end, doesn't really matter how old you're right now, you'll find out that life's too short to be serious about certain things.Life's too short, no need to run, it's a wonderful life.

Wish you the best, you never walk alone, even when you've got the feeling to do so sometimes. Kind regards from lower northeast.-wai2.gif

Rudi Carell.

That guy is a Dutch freak who can hardly speak Germish.

Rudi Carell.

That guy is a Dutch freak who can hardly speak Germish.

Was....not anymore.....he made a lot of german tv viewers very happy in all his years on ARD/ZDF.

Dutch delight speaking german

Coming from an expat family, I was raised abroad and have lived in many different countries as a kid. I only went home briefly to my home-country to study and finish my university degree, before I again ended up living and working abroad.

Now after so many years away from my home-country, I feel kind of "root-less" - like I have no real "nationality-feeling". I could basically live in any country and feel that is my "home". But at the same time, I do also not feel that I am e.g. Thai.

I feel more like I do not truly belong anywhere, but at the same time could live anywhere in the world and still feel fine about that. Its kind of a strange feeling. The times I have visited my home country, I actually feel like a complete stranger and feel stupid when there, because I e.g. do not even know how the train system works there anymore.

Can anyone relate to this kind of root-less feeling, of being kind of not really belonging to the country your passport is from?

I feel this everyday. Lost....

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

No. Absolutely no. The need to belong is such a primordial, and primitive concept. It is such a conventional way of thinking, in my opinion. Who cares, anyway? I do not belong in the US, though I am from there. I do not feel like "one of them". Same here. You will never be a "Thai" so why fuss over it? Just enjoy your life here. Make a good life for yourself, and those around you. Do not expect that your Thai friends or neighbors will ever consider you one of them, and do not regret it for a nanosecond. It does not matter. It means little. As long as you are fulfilled with your life. If you are not fulfilled, keep looking.

Yes

Don't you sometimes envy people that have a real nationality feeling of belonging to a certain country and being proud of it? I sometimes wish I had that feeling. But I just don't...

That could have a lot to do with where you were born. So many countries have nothing to be proud about, thus instill little pride in native born. But, you have too much time on your hands. Do you overthink everything like this? No offense, but you must be a woman, or if not, should have been.

The respondent "...must be a woman, etc"? Hoo ain't you just beyond macho. Did you know that people who are so quick to speak as you do frequently themselves have, ah shall we say "identity issues"? wink.png I mean that one really came out of nowhere. So come on now this is Thailand- Instead of pointing a finger at others go find yourself a nice little "men's club". Nobody will even know giggle.gif

I am in the same situation as you.

When i was young i was teased in school, called many names and "why don't you go back to where you came from"

One day i went back to where i was born,, again "why don't you go back to where you came from" so i pondered, where

do i come from,, nowhere really, i can live anywhere, today i just live in many countries and i just adapt and when i have had enough i just move on,, as the song goes,, wherever i lay my hat, that's my home, for now.

A Bavarian learning English.

Asked by his pals how is it to take English lessons ?

He replies:

"I (ee) hoast Ei (I) - Ei hoast Egg - Egg hoast corner (koaner) - koaner hoast nobody."

Very confusing !

Host mi ? (Understand ?)

I = Ei = Egg, Egg = Eck = Corner = Koaner = Nobody.... biggrin.png

It's nice to be a Preiss,

It's higher to be a Bayer

(It's nice to be a Non-Bavarian, but higher to be a Bavarian) tongue.pngsmile.png

Interesting topic. I have lived most of my life in Australia and really 'love' the place, but have lived in so many different towns and states within Australia that I don't feel I have a home base, where I really belong, even in this country. My heart is always where I grew up because it was such a happy and lovely place, but the farm was sold long ago and the house is gone. My Thai wife of 31 years cares not where we live in Australia - where we live is her home - but Thailand is still where her heart is and where she wants her ashes spread. Interestingly, while not believing in reincarnation, I always felt that Thailand was my 2nd home, even when I first visited over 40 years ago, so I really enjoy living there part of each year. There is a lot to the view that we should pay little attention to where we first started in life and the country boundaries set by men and, instead, acknowledge we belong to the world so home is where we are now.

Edited by peebee

Yes I totally feel ya. I could live anywhere ( well never lived in war areas and prefer some organic food). I feel like moving again sometimes like. Taiwan, it's hard to connect with the Thai for a person like me. But so far it's still my home.

Yes I totally feel ya. I could live anywhere ( well never lived in war areas and prefer some organic food). I feel like moving again sometimes like. Taiwan, it's hard to connect with the Thai for a person like me. But so far it's still my home.

Aldo there is some romance still in me, I forgot to mention I not believe in "roots" anymore anyway. We got foot :) I am related a little here and there lol

You do not belong here...you do not feel at home there...just go somewhere...and stay put for a little while...it will soon feel like home...

Why not? I have a VISA that says I do. I have a high $ job. Where else would I belong?

You will never feel at home in Thailand because the Thais don't want you. They want your money then you need to get out. It may feel familiar but that is the best it gets.

What you are feeling is just a phase that we all go through after being in a different country especially Thailand.

Frankly I like it.

Bit Cynical Expat!!

OP, buy yourself a bottle of Sang Som, a pack of Krong Tip's, get smashed, smoke all the fags and then wait for your girlfriend to come home after she's been abused by some dirty old farang, beat her with a stick and then go to bed so you can start the whole process over again the next day.

There, do you feel like a Thai now:)

Didn't know this was poker. Cause it looks like a pair of Douches above me. cheesy.gif

You will never feel at home in Thailand because the Thais don't want you. They want your money then you need to get out. It may feel familiar but that is the best it gets.

What you are feeling is just a phase that we all go through after being in a different country especially Thailand.

Frankly I like it.

Bit Cynical Expat!!

OP, buy yourself a bottle of Sang Som, a pack of Krong Tip's, get smashed, smoke all the fags and then wait for your girlfriend to come home after she's been abused by some dirty old farang, beat her with a stick and then go to bed so you can start the whole process over again the next day.

There, do you feel like a Thai now:)

Didn't know this was poker. Cause it looks like a pair of Douches above me. cheesy.gif

i can barely write this message because i am laughing so much, don't give up yer day job Scotty, that is unless you are a rent boyclap2.gif