CHANGES TO BRITISH PASSPORT SERVICES IN THAILAND

Basset

LETTER TO BRITISH COMMUNITY

CHANGES TO BRITISH PASSPORT SERVICES IN THAILAND

Her Majestys Passport Office is making important changes to the way it delivers British passports overseas. The goal is to ensure that all British nationals living overseas receive a consistent, trusted, secure and efficient service whilst keeping the costs as low as possible. In order to do that, on 10 December 2013, responsibility for handling passport applications in Thailand passed from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office to Her Majestys Passport Office.

Following on from this, from 26 March 2014, British nationals in Thailand will submit passport applications, in person by appointment only, to the UK Visa Application Centre. All the information needed to complete the passport application process, including address and contact details for the UK Visa Application Centre, will be available on GOV.UK at https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

I know that this change will seem inconvenient, but the new measures being put in place support the wider public protection, helping to ensure that the risks of fraud and identity theft are minimised for those living and working overseas.

If you need to travel urgently but your passport is not available, you should still contact the nearest Consular Assistance team at the British Embassy Bangkok +66 2 305 8333 email: [email protected] In certain circumstances Consular staff may be able to issue an Emergency Travel Document but this is not a substitute for a full UK passport. So the best course of action is to apply as early as possible, and to make sure that you follow the new guidelines.

Please note that our Consular staff will not be able to take calls about individual passport applications and they cannot countersign passport applications. If you cannot find the information needed on GOV.UK you should contact the Passport Adviceline on +44 300 222 0000 (operates from 8am-8pm UK time) or e-mail: [email protected].

applications in person only at her majestys passport office.

if that is in the uk.you know what you can dooooooooooooooo.

Think again!

Making your application

You must apply in person. You must bring photo ID with you.

Bring original supporting documents and a photocopy of each one. The original documents will be returned to you.

You must also bring your current passport with you when you apply, and a full colour photocopy of the entire passport (every page including blank pages). You can’t travel with it after you’ve applied for a new one - but you will be able to keep your existing passport for ID purposes.

You’ll need to book an appointment by email. Include your first name and last name and 3 alternative dates and times. You will receive an email confirming your appointment.

UK Visa Application Centre

The Trendy Office Building,

28th Floor,

Sukhumvit Soi13,

Klongtoey-Nua,

Wattana,

Bangkok

Thailand

Getting your passport

Your passport will be delivered to the UK Visa Application Centre where you applied - you must collect it in person.

They will contact you - using the details on your application form - when your passport is ready to collect.

You must bring your existing passport as photo ID.

• Like 1

The letter is titled "CHANGES TO BRITISH PASSPORT SERVICES IN THAILAND". So does this change only apply in the Land of Smiles or does it apply everywhere outside the UK? Has this been in the pipeline for a long time or is it just a knee-jerk reaction to the fake passports issued in Pattaya to the two guys on MH370?

So I have to make an appointment and fly up to BKK to hand in my passport application? Well that takes care of the new reduction in the fees and then some!!!

Even better - you will have to fly back after 4 weeks to collect the new one!!

So I have to make an appointment and fly up to BKK to hand in my passport application? Well that takes care of the new reduction in the fees and then some!!!

They won't courier it to you, if you pay?? That would surprise me, they did that for Thai's when they applied for a UK visa at that place?

They won't courier it to you, if you pay?? That would surprise me, they did that for Thai's when they applied for a UK visa at that place?

I guess a visa is somewhat different to a new passport.

With the recent issues of fake passports it is perhaps no surprise that this is a tightening of procedures

I would like to see the "Old Git's" take on these changes.