1 Meg Adsl From Singapore With Island Technology

darrenb

http://www.islandtechnology.biz/

how can they offer me a better connection speed that TOT and their gold cyber service .

i live 300m away from a new adsl exchange in nai harn and TOT's gold is no better than a 128k isdn line

does anyone know anything about this provider? ... dont want to gamble and pay 3000+ bht a month extra for a service that is no better than i have at present

how does it work?...how can they give me a connection direct from singapore

I'm not sure re the ins and outs of this. I used to have a TT&T Maxnet adsl service. It was terrible. So I moved to a new house with TOT and signed up for this Island Tech service. I figured that it was so expensive that it must be good! Well, I'm pretty happy with the servide. A few downtimes, but much better reliability and speed thatn anything I have had before. And they even have a support service!!!!!!

Simon

this is just guesswork as I'm not a network engineer. However, on my TOT goldcyber connection, when i trace route, my gateway and the next 4 or 5 hops before i get out of Thailand is on pacific.net.th routers. I also occassionally see pacific.net.sg and pacific.net.au routers after that .net.th ones.

island technology advertise on their website that they use Pacific Internet (whose domain name is pacific.net) as their service provider.

does this mean that island technology uses the same network infrastructure as TOT goldcyber but charges 3 times the price?

I also use Pacific on Goldcyber but we do go through CAT telecom and its international bandwidth...

When this new pacific deal came out it was advertised as being a way of bypassing CAT and hence bypassing the international bottleneck and hopping out to Singapore and real international speeds.

When I tried to sign up with pacific there were some delays.. I have been told by many sources that CAT quashed the arrangement as it would be breaking thier monopoly.. Since then I keep being told that this pacific direct to singapore is now a lie and has continued only as they started to market it that way initially and figured no one would be able to tell. So if anyone does have this pacific direct to singapore line please do a traceroute and look at the server IP's to determine if it is a lie or not.. Certainly all network charts I have seen for Thailand show no direct to singapore link.

If your 300m from the exchange consider paying to replace / repair your line.. I have had constant mither with my house being right at the end of the line and a long way from the Patong exchange.. When I finally got them to work all the way along the line 99% of my problems stopped.. I get downloads from 200 - 1Mbit (real 125 KB/s downloads) depending on time of day and location of sites.. Sure its not first world speeds but I can even watch online vids these days without too much breakup and buffering.

When I first moved into my house I had estimates from a few companies and had heard about this Singaporean internet provider. I called Island Technology and they sent a tech to my house to see how far I was from the main road I suppose. The tech could not answer my specific questions and when I tried to call or email John, the owner i got no reply.

The estimate was outrageous at 30,000, and that was just for installation of the leased line. I had another estimate and it was for 18,00o installation of course not this Singaporean provider.

I ended up wiht Ipstar which usually is fine.

Since then i have talked to other Thai professionals and have been told that this too is not possible without breaking the law. So either its illegal or its just not true. Mabye its just semantics. I was told that because IT is a farang company he just doubles his price. But im not saying this is true.. its just the speculation of a competitor.

My neighbor closer to the main road just had a leased line installed and split between 3 houses plus wireless routers for all 3 houses and it was 25,000 a month plus 5000 baht each for 256upload rate.

He used m2kwireless. The computer guy speaks almost perfect English, follows up , comes on time and had a fair price.

I must say that I'm extremely happy with the Island Technology service, I've been with them for more than two years and recommend them to all of our customers.

I've got a VDSL line with them, so I don't even need to have a phone line - Try getting that from TOT. Now TOT/TT&T - they were an absolute nightmare, I had to draw maps and diagrams of where I lived and they still quoted me a minimum of 4 weeks, at which time I was supposed to go back to their office to see if they could find my house. Didn't matter that the people who had just moved out a few months ago had a number of lines.

Island Technology IS more expensive, but then you are getting support guys that will come round and help set-up, speak very good English and who try to make sure everythings OK. Plus the service is pretty rock solid in terms of up/down speeds.