snake eggs

khunkeith

working in my garden this morning, I found these in my compost pile. They appear to be snake eggs. they are leathery feeling, about 2 inches long and 3/4 inch in diameter. Looking on line at photos, they appear to be cobra eggs. Can anyone help indentify them?

thanks

post-137554-0-80213000-1395809581_thumb.

could be lizard eggs too. I had some similar to that hatch in my house under the steps. Scared the carp out of me.

are lizard eggs that big? I just measured them and they are 2.25 inches (5.7cm) long and 3/4 inch (2cm) in diameter. what kind of lizard would that be? The only lizards I have seen here are the gekkos and Tokay. the photos of Tokay eggs look much, much smaller than these things.

why not cut one open and find out? tongue.png

because it would kill them?

maybe put them on a safe place and watch who comes out of it?

They might be past the gestation period. But, I put them in a large jar with moist earth and a lid with holes. I will see what happens.

• Like 1

could be lizard eggs too. I had some similar to that hatch in my house under the steps. Scared the carp out of me.

are lizard eggs that big? I just measured them and they are 2.25 inches (5.7cm) long and 3/4 inch (2cm) in diameter. what kind of lizard would that be? The only lizards I have seen here are the gekkos and Tokay. the photos of Tokay eggs look much, much smaller than these things.

Tokay eggs look like half a ping pong ball (but just a bit smaller) stuck to the wall.

They might be past the gestation period. But, I put them in a large jar with moist earth and a lid with holes. I will see what happens.

please make a photo if something comes out......And release it somewhere where it can not do harm (like in the mother in laws bed laugh.png )....

• Like 1

please make a photo if something comes out......And release it somewhere where it can not do harm (like in the mother in laws bed laugh.png )....

I am going to see if they hatch. perhaps they are past the gestation period. I killed a monocled cobra outside my door 6 months ago that was about 1M in length. My mother in laws gentleman friend sold it to a local that makes "medicine". The wife told me cobra meat is used for folk medicien of some sort. Perhaps cobras are valuable too. I saw one in the road a few months back and 2 Thai guys were trying to catch it. But, no success, it fled into the rice paddies.

If you haven't moved them already, mark which side is up where you found them, after a few days the embryo will attach itself to the side of the egg's wall and if turned upside down they will drown in amniotic fluid.

Edited by abhaya
  • Like 1

If you haven't moved them already, mark which side is up where you found them, after a few days the embryo will attach itself to the side of the egg's wall and if turned upside down they will drown in amniotic fluid.

to late for that. when I found them, they were already in the wheelbarrow and had been tossed around quite a bit.

How big are the eggs? Its not clear in the picture. Could be lizard eggs.

"If" they are Cobra eggs, Momma is not far away. The last person I saw hold a Cobra hatching was a professional snake handler. Who made it clear that new borne are "Armed and Dangerous". Even though they can barely bite at that age, a small scratch can cause you a great deal of problems. They carry enough venom to kill 30 men in one bite. They are not yet capable of controlling the amount of venom they dispense. This rule applies to all venomous snakes.

Once the eggs are removed from their incubation nest, they usually die fairly quickly depending on air temperature and at what stage of development. Rule of thumb is 15 minutes.

to late for that. when I found them, they were already in the wheelbarrow and had been tossed around quite a bit.

so like i told you before, cut one open.