Looking for some advice to lose around 60lbs

2008bangkok

eat only spicy food, i assure you you will not overeat anymore smile.png

That isn't true if you love spicy food and what else is in the spicy food other than the spices. Like Indian food soaking in ghee ... so fattening!

But chilies do stimulate rate of metabolism.

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The best medical advice I can give you is DONT EAT. people never change.

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

I hope you're joking.

This isn't the same as drug addiction.

We all NEED to eat. To live.

We can change what we eat and the portions.

That's it.

I've lost 70/80 pounds twice, most recently since December 15, 2010 when I had coronary bypass surgery.

At the same time I also quit a life long smoking habit and have stayed off cigarettes since.

Both weight losses are due to the Atkins diet.

Basically, drastically reducing foods high in carbohydrates like potatoes, rice, pasta, bread, and of course beer.

I now drink Rum & Coke Light, Gin & Tonic, or Regency & Tonic.

I can eat all the meat (protein) and vegetables I want so I am not hungry.

I drink 6 ounces of V8 juice each morning, no lunch, and a very big dinner.

No snacks other than Almond nuts if I am really hungry before dinner

After the first weight loss I did not change my life style and put the weight back on.

Now I have dropped from 290 to 218 on my way to 200.

I can never go back to potatoes and bread at every meal.

I also work out 5 days a week for a couple of hours including

treadmill for 60+ minutes (Incline = 4 / speed = 3.9)

12 - 5 Kilo Barbell exercises 10 times for 3 iterations,

5 - 40 Kilo Weight exercises 10 times each, for 3 iteration,

60 Rowing strokes,

120 Bicycle pedals,

and Calisthenics exercises (knee bends/toe touches/leg lifts/sit-ups/push-ups) each 12-15 times.

I burn about 450 calories a day.

A persons body changes every 20 years (20/40/60) hormones/weight gain/metabolism

so you will see this again.

Best of luck to you on maintaining your current weight loss as the medical truth is with yo yo "dieters" if they gain the weight back, they would have been better off not losing it in the first place. I know that isn't pop culture and the diet industry which would prefer have the population being on lifetime YOYO cycles and sees weight loss ALONE as success ... which it's not, it's just the first step.

Hey all

In the last 6 years iv put on around about 60lbs-70lbs which takes me v close to the 300lbs mark which is not as bad as it sounds as im about 6ft 3 1/2-4 I would like to lose around 60lbs and looking for some dieting advice on foods to eat in Thailand.

The weird thing is that when i first came to thailand and lived in samui out on the lash every night didnt put any weight on then moved to bkk and got a job and now im 60 lbs heavier, could be the fact i gave up smoking around then or just eating and no exercise not exaclty sure but now im starting to feel the affects of it, so need to lose it.

I guess the no1 thing is im lacking motivation, iv been eating chicken, veg, small rice for dinner and going out on my bike for 30 mins for a month but dont seem to lose anything so thought maybe some TV memebrs who have sucesfully lost a good amount could tell me what foods worked for them and at what times.

Im also not sure if out on my bike 30 mins every day at about 5 and then coming home eating chicken, vegs bit is right, or should i be looking at a morning ride.

Any advice on foods, eating times, exercise intensity would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Ok there are of course a combinatipn of things why you gained weight and boils down too a few things you eat more calories than you burn in one day, diet habits not eating on a regular schedule affects it also, lack of exercise. If your not sleeping enough also affects it.

I would suggest you do the following

Get up earlier everyday take a one hour fast walk before breakfast. Then eat a solid breakfast (oat meal, eggs, vegetable juice), eat a medium sized lunch and eat a light dinner. Dont eat any carbs ie bread, rice sugars etc after 6pm. Dont have coffee with a meal but have it between meals to boost energy levels and metabolism.

Alcohol is packed with calories. Specially beer and slows down metabolism.

You might have to cut your portion sizes if your a big eater.

With this alone you will have a healthy weight loss if your consistant with the morning walks every day and DONT skip breakfast it is the most important meal of the day without doubt.

In fact dont skip meals as some suggests the body needs energy on regularly basis to have a healthy metabolism the body and the brain needs fats to work properly.

I put a friend who needed to loose about 50kilos on this routine and he did it for 2 months and lost nearly 15kilos then he started following me to the gym about 2 times per week. its now about 6months since he started and he is down about 31kilos as of monday this week but has gained muscle so my guess would be that he has lost a little more fat.

Out of curiosity, I was just thinking of why TV members would be considered experts on weight loss?

Surely there are some that are wise and fit, but I would definitely be researching some professional advise elsewhere, perhaps through quick online searches.

My guess is that the majority of TV members are not quite up to par on weight or physical fitness.....judging by the number of overweight expats here. (myself included).

Just a guess....

Forget all the latest diets the simple fact is that if your energy intake is less than your energy expenditure you will lose weight.

There is nothing more to consider. As you age your BMR ( basal metabolic rate ) decreases therefore you need to eat less.

So it's down to calorie counting- I realise it's a bit drastic and you should not do it for ever- but a balanced diet contained say 500 or 600 calories a day will have you looking like the slim hunk that you desire!

• Like 1

Forget all the latest diets the simple fact is that if your energy intake is less than your energy expenditure you will lose weight.

There is nothing more to consider. As you age your BMR ( basal metabolic rate ) decreases therefore you need to eat less.

So it's down to calorie counting- I realise it's a bit drastic and you should not do it for ever- but a balanced diet contained say 500 or 600 calories a day will have you looking like the slim hunk that you desire!

That will fail almost always. That's a drastic CRASH DIET level. Sure there will be weight loss, a lot, and then the body will fight back thinking it is being starved, and radically RESET the efficiency in which it uses those tiny few calories. This is known science now. It's surprising how many people still believe the tired old myths about crash diets.

• Like 1

@oz893,

Nicotine and a higher MRB is certainly not a myth.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2773833

3% to 6% might not look like a lot but over a long period it does add on.

As for you cook your own food.. I am a firm believer in that i cook most of my own food and control what is going in. Much better as relying on others.

Most here all say cook for yourself eat your veggies your whole foods and as less processed crap as possible. For most this means a life style change, the OP is eating and drinking a lot of bad stuff (beers and his potatoes and gravy) and that is holding him back.

But everyone needs to find what suits them some like those fad diets that you (and I) think are crazy but it gives them guidance and for a while it works. Maybe just enough to kick start it and get the motivation going for more.

Studies are absolute rubbish, created papers to justify thus education requirements. Some or the worst academics have to rely on education or worse, WIKI as a source or justification.

Nicotine effects are only on some but most its all psychological.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yawn,

Sorry.. this has been proven bij multiple studies. I can agree if there are conflicting studies but this is something they are in agreement about. I did not use WIKI i used real research papers.

The problem is research papers mean absolutely nothing except to the corporation selling the idea. Research is for, yes, corporations, book or failing professors, writers.

To each individual, there IS NOTHING PROVED. The target research groups are not only very tiny but selected to give the best favoring results. Just more generalized garbage that will sell.

Have you ever attended a University over 2 years?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

That will fail almost always. That's a drastic CRASH DIET level. Sure there will be weight loss, a lot, and then the body will fight back thinking it is being starved, and radically RESET the efficiency in which it uses those tiny few calories. This is known science now. It's surprising how many people still believe the tired old myths about crash diets.

Mmm - could you please explain the biochemistry / principles of human physiology that relates to the reset button- would be interested. Yes a crash diet is not a wise choice for an extended length of time- and then it's no good if you go back to your old ways.

What do you suggest - grapefruit diet, egg diet, low carb, Atkins all that total nonsense- cut energy intake- that's it .

I can add a few other things i have worked as a Personal Trainer and am a former athlete. Im 5'10 and weigh 93kilos ~ 200lbs and have about 12% bodyfat at the moment. I normally dont spend more than 35-40 minutes in the gym 3 days per week. I swim 2 times per week and do morning walks before breakfast when i wanna loose a kilo or two in fact when i dont do the morning walks i almost feel bad its a perfect time for me to clear my head, its almost meditative after a while it becomes a habit.

I get better result than some that are at the gym 2-3 hours per day 6-7 days per week. Its about working out smarter not harder integrate the healthy habits into your lifestyle and you wont yoyo back either.

Also you should never let yourself go its much easier to maintain than to loose the weight.

If you wanna workout at home i suggest suspension training like TRX. and maybe check out Athlean-x channel on youtube he give good exercise advice with and show how to perform certain things properly

Edited by Evolare
  • Like 1

Studies are absolute rubbish, created papers to justify thus education requirements. Some or the worst academics have to rely on education or worse, WIKI as a source or justification.

Yawn,

Sorry.. this has been proven bij multiple studies. I can agree if there are conflicting studies but this is something they are in agreement about. I did not use WIKI i used real research papers.

The problem is research papers mean absolutely nothing except to the corporation selling the idea. Research is for, yes, corporations, book or failing professors, writers.

To each individual, there IS NOTHING PROVED. The target research groups are not only very tiny but selected to give the best favoring results. Just more generalized garbage that will sell.

Of course I have I am a tax accountant you don't get that by not doing following an education. You are talking about a different kind of research funded by companies to sell something. I agree 100 % you can manipulate that kind of research. Research on nicotine is of a different kind. I wonder if you followed any kind of education with your overheating console and spoiled wife. (your own words).

There is plenty of valid research that can help you and as you stated a lot of crap too, that is why you must be skeptical and look what it is all about.

Yawn,

Of course I have I am a tax accountant you don't get that by not doing following an education. You are talking about a different kind of research funded by companies to sell something. I agree 100 % you can manipulate that kind of research. Research on nicotine is of a different kind. I wonder if you followed any kind of education with your overheating console and spoiled wife. (your own words).

There is plenty of valid research that can help you and as you stated a lot of crap too, that is why you must be skeptical and look what it is all about.

There's so much crap & BS out there due to all the money deprived educators or stragglers left over from the 50+ year failing educational system worldwide! that there is no real data that can be trusted. Data for the good whether from gov, scientist (what a joke) or any published reports have been manipulated & paid or vs versa since the late 80s in my lifetime. Some have made good arguments that was since the late 60s.

There's so much crap & BS out there due to all the money deprived educators or stragglers left over from the 50+ year failing educational system worldwide! that there is no real data that can be trusted. Data for the good whether from gov, scientist (what a joke) or any published reports have been manipulated & paid or vs versa since the late 80s in my lifetime. Some have made good arguments that was since the late 60s.

Can I have something of what you are smoking it must be good. Now go back to your console and wife.

Can I have something of what you are smoking it must be good. Now go back to your console and wife.

Now you're talking like a liberal.

You should learn some about your body. Probably you need 2000 Calories a day to remain as you are. 1/2 kg of fat is equal to 3000 calories. It means if you eat less equal to 3000 calories if few days then you can loose 1/2 kg of fat. Now this means calories inn should be less than what you need. If you can reduce your calories to under 1000 a day and exercise a lot everyday then if few days time you can loose 1/2 kg.

The problem is that there are lots of temptation and we keep putting things in our mouth without knowing they all have calories. To reduce quick as I mentioned you should really reduce your food, and eat lots of fiber (vegetables specially raw, fruits no mango, banana, grapes,) should avoid all kinds of sugar, salt. Don't have any carbs and exercise a lot.

I have mentioned earlier, myself been in a health institute called www.jindalnaturecure.org and I visit this place once a year to detox and loose weight. In a period of 30 days I loose almost 8 kg pure fat and 2 kg of water etc. My size reduces from 46 inches to 41 in just 40 days and lost 14 kg a weight. Over there you get all organic food, you are not allowed to take any food with you, they will give you only raw salad, soup and juice. It cost you around 2000 dollar for a month which include your room, food, juice, massages etc.

Best of luck

sorry, didn't read all four pages. I went from 165 to 150 in thailand by walking at night (in addition to daily exercise) and basically walking everywhere i could. if it meant a 3 hour walk, i would do it over a 20 minute tuk-tuk. i only cared about my diet once, realizing i was eating way to much rice. took a week off rice, and felt light again. and i do think body fat is much more important than weight. so i went back to 160 and just made sure i was leaner. feel fine.

it's my opinion carbs are good for energy. i would never get rid of carbs. i would never get rid of coffee and/or tea.

eating when your hungry, snack when you want. but just remember to keep being active when you can.

working can add stress and that really changes things.

i also think it's true that the more you worry about your weight, the harder it is to come off.

good luck.

H2o H2o H2o H2o

And when you are done drink water with lemon

Also try a colon detox

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Water with lemon sounds good.

Green tea is great!

Colon detox is considered really fringe and generally not recommended by mainstream medical people. I agree with them!

Colon detox is an absolute load of nonsense.

Eat less, eat more veg, eat less high calorie junky food, exercise a little more every day. Excess sugar is horrendous, excess fried food is horrendous.

Less calories in until below 2000 per day, burn up more calories with as much exercise as one can tolerate. Works wonders.

Have any of your friends got Diabetes? If so do a blood/sugar test on their device and they will be able to guide you as to what the result shows. Many people rapidly gain weight when diagnosed with Diabetes - I was the opposite in that I lost over four stones in weight in six months. I discovered it by testing myself on a friends device which was then confirmed by a visit to my Doctor. I went from over 13 stones to just over 9 stones. Not saying this is the solution but it is worthy of consideration.

Easy to say "Simple, eat less & lose weight." The problem is sticking with the plan. You start cheating in between meals, and you get zero weight loss. I've fought this for years. Never had a diet that worked for me. Until now. About 3 weeks ago I started following Jared's Subway sandwich weight loss plan. If you're American, you'll know the Jared advertising campaigns.

I researched what he did and I'm losing a kilo per week (3 kilo so far). Not a huge amount, but I've never had any diet worked before because cheating was too easy & I love to eat. The diet is this: 6" turkey sub for lunch, no mayo & no cheese. 12" veggie sub for dinner, no mayo & no cheese. All the veggies they can fit.

I figured out I could do it cheaper by making my own sandwiches at home but then .... I cheat! So my cupboard is bare & I go to Subway for my sandwiches. To save money, I buy a 12" turkey, eat 1/2 today & 1/2 tomorrow. I end up eating the turkey sandwich around 10:30 AM, 1/2 the veggie around 4 PM and the other half after 6 PM. Plus all the black coffee I want, to stave off hunger.

What can I say? It's working and that's all that matters to me. I walk a lot, too. I think in my case, the structure & discipline that comes with this diet fits me perfectly, and I don't cheat.

** Edit ** oh, and use only whole grain bread. That stuff with cheese or italian herbs bring a lot of fat & oil. I'm in the States & they have 9-grain wheat.

Edited by USNret

Anyways..it has never been a mystery on how people lose weight.

More healthy foods (look them up)

No unhealthy foods (look them up)

Positive thinking (look that up)

Moderate Exercise....walking, swimming,tennis, whatever tickles your fancy.

You will not burn off more than 400-600 calories with an hour of exercise.....and thats on the high side. In perspective...3 beers, or one cheeseburger....

but sitting on your duff is definitely worse.

do not eat anything that does not excist naturally in the world... so no candy, coockies, icecream, french fries, cornflakes, chips, hamburger, pizza, hotdogs, cola and all other junk

so most garbage in the supermarket in those plastic bags & containers...

• Like 1

Anyways..it has never been a mystery on how people lose weight.

More healthy foods (look them up)

No unhealthy foods (look them up)

Positive thinking (look that up)

Moderate Exercise....walking, swimming,tennis, whatever tickles your fancy.

You will not burn off more than 400-600 calories with an hour of exercise.....and thats on the high side. In perspective...3 beers, or one cheeseburger....

but sitting on your duff is definitely worse.

You are right people really overrate exercise (for weight loss i believe its great for health) I workout quite hard but even on my rowing machine doing a heavy workout it would struggle to get the 600cals. Most machines actually overstate how much you have burned.

For me its a combination of exercise and healthy foods, but most of the battle is won in the kitchen.

I can add a few other things i have worked as a Personal Trainer and am a former athlete. Im 5'10 and weigh 93kilos ~ 200lbs and have about 12% bodyfat at the moment. I normally dont spend more than 35-40 minutes in the gym 3 days per week. I swim 2 times per week and do morning walks before breakfast when i wanna loose a kilo or two in fact when i dont do the morning walks i almost feel bad its a perfect time for me to clear my head, its almost meditative after a while it becomes a habit.

I get better result than some that are at the gym 2-3 hours per day 6-7 days per week. Its about working out smarter not harder integrate the healthy habits into your lifestyle and you wont yoyo back either.

Also you should never let yourself go its much easier to maintain than to loose the weight.

If you wanna workout at home i suggest suspension training like TRX. and maybe check out Athlean-x channel on youtube he give good exercise advice with and show how to perform certain things properly

Yea, yes, yea and yes.

BUT

as you age, you will lose muscle. You have the good fortune to have loads of muscle, just lifting your arm burns loads of calories. (Little clue here - grow muscle and keep it)

I am 72, 76Kg 5'10", 34+" waist, 14.5" neck.

After I married just over a year ago, my weight increased to 78Kg but I seriously lost muscle.

Waist gained 2-3".

BP also went up and I am back on the meds again!

I had already cut rice and potatoes,bread, pasta.

and eat home cooked chicken and veg.

For two weeks I ate salad three times a day, nothing after 9:00 pm.

Cut down on beer, no other booze.

Cut out fruit juices.

Radically reduced the amount of fruit in general

Increased raw garlic intake.

Drink more water, much more.

Every other day or so, do some exercises with 5 Kb weights.

First days exercise left he in pain for three days LOL

I recovered and can now do the work without too much next day pain.

Waist has reduced but weight initially dropped to about 75Kg and is now increasing as I gain muscle and I am swappinf fat for muscle.

The key is trouser size, not what the scales say.

Learn about fructose, it is processed in the body like alcohol, only in the liver!

Learn about artificial sweeteners - yes they increase appetite

Learn about the hormones Ghrelen and Leptin

Make you hungry or tell you to stop eating.

Good Luck

PS Rob Oz have you done yet?

Rob, why do you respond? Some folk are best ignored!