Visa Outsourcing Centre Bankers Draft/cashier's Cheque

After reading this thread Visa Outsourcing Centre : Another Rip Off, Is there nothing we can do ?

There’s talk of it being not possible to get a bankers draft at a Thai bank.

I will be using the courier service to make my GF VV UK to the VFS and I will have to send with it 2 bankers drafts 1 for the visa fee and 1 for the courier and service charge fee as it clearly states that’s what I need to do.

So when I go to the bank and ask for a bankers draft will I get what I want or will i get a cashier's cheque and have my visa app sent back as of this.

Can anyone confirm you can get bankers drafts in Thai banks and not just cashier's cheques

Thanks for all your help so far.

Nearly time to post that app off! :o

No worry my friend..not a further word on this from me as you want to hear from others now on this matter., just banking definitions from banking website and an explanation.

banker's draft - a draft drawn by a bank against funds deposited in another bank

cashier's cheque - a check issued by the officer of a bank on the banks own account (not that of a private person); "cashier's checks are as good as cash"

So a draft must have the name of another bank on it from where the funds are drawn. ie a Barclays cheque drawn on Bangkok Bank and this, I know for a fact, is available in London.

On the other hand I doubt whether Krung Thai bank issues to the public, for a fee, a cheque drawn on Siam Commecial Bank

These are just examples for explanatory purposes

There’s talk of it being not possible to get a bankers draft at a Thai bank.........

So when I go to the bank and ask for a bankers draft will I get what I want or will i get a cashier's cheque and have my visa app sent back as of this........

Can anyone confirm you can get bankers drafts in Thai banks and not just cashier's cheques

Applications made through the postal service says
Application fee in the form of a bankers draft made payable the "British Embassy Bangkok"
and
VFS Service charge of Baht 455 in the form of a demand draft made payable to "VFS Thailand Ltd"
So is a bankersdraft the same as a demand draft? I don't know, maybe the nitpicker does.

All I can suggest at this stage is that you contact VFS (contact details here) for advice.

OK friends YOU ARE NOT GOING TO BELIEVE THIS. COMPLETE INSANITY

Now have all the answers as an INTELLIGENT Thai staff member has just returned after making the inquiries below in person.

1. PAYMENT how is it made ?

Reply : Banker draft my arse !

(Sorry but cannot help the bad language.)

They have an ordinary cheque book..just like we use in the UK . They tear out one cheque and fill it in, made payable to the British Embassy !!! For that cheque you pay 35 baht !!!

Payment of cash FORBIDDEN

Payment for postal applications :

(Remember this is Thai to Thai)

You have to send them a "tua lek ngern" translation : postal order,

and it must be WAIT FOR IT......from a bank !!

Jesus...one does not have to be an Einstein to know that banks don't issue postal orders, that is issued by the CAT or Post office HAVE THEY GONE MAD OR LOST THEIR SENSES ?

But not yet finished ...

Even if you post it you must pay the application fee of 400 odd baht

but still not finished

YOU HAVE TO PAY THE APPLICATION FEE AGAIN FOR RETURNING THE PAPERS .!!!!!!!

So twice the personal application fee

There is also a postage fee for the cost of returning the papers. How much she asked.

Reply : it varies. Depends which province you live in !!!!!!!!

WELL NOW YOU HAVE IT. IS THIS INDIAN OUTFIT SANE or was it purely an aberration by a member of their staff who had gone bonkers?

WELL NOW YOU HAVE IT. IS THIS INDIAN OUTFIT SANE or was it purely an aberration by a member of their staff who had gone bonkers?

Please remind me topfield, what has being Indian have to do with any of this?

reply ; This outfit is run and managed from Chennai.

is this a load of toffeefield.

to quote from a few of posts "these chennia based idiots"

"is this indian outfit sane"

"this financially sound and properly estabilished indian company"

ARE THEY COWBOYS OR INDIANS

quote="i am old enough to remember a similar policy after the war"

you must be in your seventies and you still find time to run a business,write encyclopedias on thai visa,withdraw money from every atm in bangkok,and check every rate change at the weekends when these lazy thai bankers are spending all the money they have ripped off the farang. and to TOP it all you still find time to recommend that we open a foreign currency account in a cambodian bank(another quote)

WHAT A MAN YOU ARE

you must be in your seventies and you still find time to run a business,write encyclopedias on thai visa,withdraw money from every atm in bangkok,and check every rate change at the weekends when these lazy thai bankers are spending all the money they have ripped off the farang. and to TOP it all you still find time to recommend that we open a foreign currency account in a cambodian bank(another quote)

WHAT A MAN YOU ARE

A Thai outsourcing Co. Are you happy now ?

Read the English newspapers and practically every day there is a reference to an Indian outsourcing agency. Even BT and Norwich Union use them and there are many people who would much prefer a UK based agency. The outsourcing business is run mainly by Indians as they are good at English, international tel lines are now almost free , but the main reason reason they are chosen is they are far cheaper . Remember this outsourcer was chosen as they offered the highest bid to run the service at a level of service acceptable to the FCO.. The ad for an outsourcer appeared in the Bangkok Post placed by the Embassy.Their aim is to make a nice profit.

As for your other unpleasant personal remarks all I can say is that this is a forum for views on different subjects and viewpoints not for personal attacks on people. Thank you.

OK friends YOU ARE NOT GOING TO BELIEVE THIS. COMPLETE INSANITY

Now have all the answers as an INTELLIGENT Thai staff member has just returned after making the inquiries below in person.

1. PAYMENT how is it made ?

Reply : Banker draft my arse !

(Sorry but cannot help the bad language.)

They have an ordinary cheque book..just like we use in the UK . They tear out one cheque and fill it in, made payable to the British Embassy !!! For that cheque you pay 35 baht !!!

Payment of cash FORBIDDEN

(Remember this is Thai to Thai)

Jesus...one does not have to be an Einstein to know that banks don't issue postal orders, that is issued by the CAT or Post office HAVE THEY GONE MAD OR LOST THEIR SENSES ?

But not yet finished ...

Even if you post it you must pay the application fee of 400 odd baht

but still not finished

YOU HAVE TO PAY THE APPLICATION FEE AGAIN FOR RETURNING THE PAPERS .!!!!!!!

So twice the personal application fee

There is also a postage fee for the cost of returning the papers. How much she asked.

Reply : it varies. Depends which province you live in !!!!!!!!

ps Check your application photograph carefully as the Centre will ! If it does not comply in any way you will be asked to pay a further 240 baht to have a new photo taken at ther machine !!

Ok all for the answer to my question in simple terms here goes.

I called the VFS today and said how do I pay when applying via post she said a bankers draft.

So I said to her can you explain the difference of a Bankers Draft/cashier's Cheque to my Thai GF.

She did and I got this from my GF

Cashier's Cheque you go to bank and ask for a "cashier's Cheque"

Bankers Draft you go to the bank a ask for a "draft"

She says we don't call it a bankers draft we just call it a "draft" so thats why when you may go to the bank they don't know what your on about when you say "can I have a Bankers Draft" and give you a cashier's cheque.

If anyone wants to correct me please do. I'm also going to post this in the other relating thread for everyones info.

Ash :o

Just spoke to my Thai GF about a "tua lek ngern" and she confirms this is what the VFS is calling a bankers draft, she also says a "tua lek ngern" can be purchased at a bank or post office.

So looks like the VFS are doing OK but moght be a bit confusing.

Also a Thai lady friend of my GF went to VFS for VV for UK and passed and she had no job. So it's not all bad!

happy posting i'll be back on after LOST has finished!

Good news Mr Snowden. Tomorrow I will go to the same senior official at Krung Thai bank who had never heard of a banker's draft and ask if they have a "draft"...not draft beer of course.

If they have it , I shall ask to see what it looks like and the cost. I will then report back here.

Mind you, if they call their own private cheques 'bankers drafts' things may not be as rosy as they seem ! Thanks for the info.

Good news Mr Snowden. Tomorrow I will go to the same senior official at Krung Thai bank who had never heard of a banker's draft and ask if they have a "draft"...not draft beer of course.

If they have it , I shall ask to see what it looks like and the cost. I will then report back here.

Mind you, if they call their own private cheques 'bankers drafts' things may not be as rosy as they seem ! Thanks for the info.

Try asking for a "tua lek ngern" as my GF says this is a Draft, Bankers Draft whatever you want to call it. We shall be asking for a "tua lek ngern" to get our draft when we visit our bank.

Have you a thai friend who could call the VFS and get them to explain to him/her what they mean by a Bankers Draft. Maybe you have already but too lazt to read back.

Ash

Thanks for the clarification, Ash. It does seem a confusion over the English/Thai, blown out of all proportion by someone with a lot less knowledge than he thinks he has and a hatred of people from the sub continent.

Topfield, did you try the link I gave you earlier? You'll find lots of like minded people if you do.

Thanks for the clarification, Ash. It does seem a confusion over the English/Thai, blown out of all proportion by someone with a lot less knowledge than he thinks he has and a hatred of people from the sub continent.

Topfield, did you try the link I gave you earlier? You'll find lots of like minded people if you do.

Dear GU22,can you just clarify something for me,I read your post the other day,regarding the visit of someone to the VFS and the ease that he found in making his application.The way I read it was that you can purchase the correct Draft at the VFS for the MASSIVE sum of 35Baht.If this is the case,why and please someone tell me Why,has Adolf Toppfeild spent more than 35Baht on Electricty with all of these rediculous BL***Y post.

Also,seeing as this Forum Deals with all Matters regarding living,working,eating and everything that you can possibly think of with regard to Thailand,and not to mention interracial Realationships,then i really must say that it is no place for RACIST remarks of the kind seen in Toppfeilds Post,and I must admitt that I find them offensive

and Toppfeild if you read this post as I am sure you will,remember that when you point a Finger at someone,you have Three fingers Pointing back at you,which raises the Question,Who is the Bl**dy Idiot

Kind Regards

Richard

ps Check your application photograph carefully as the Centre will ! If it does not comply in any way you will be asked to pay a further 240 baht to have a new photo taken at ther machine !!

yes they do check carefully, suppose it would be better to have applications rejected would it?

oh and I can confirm that they take a very nice photo, i have the spare one in my wallet and it was well worth the 240 baht. next time we won't even take one with us we'll let them take another. guess the machine mustn't be from India. then again nor are any of the staff...

WHAT A MAN YOU ARE

A Thai outsourcing Co. Are you happy now ?

Read the English newspapers and practically every day there is a reference to an Indian outsourcing agency. Even BT and Norwich Union use them and there are many people who would much prefer a UK based agency. The outsourcing business is run mainly by Indians as they are good at English, international tel lines are now almost free , but the main reason reason they are chosen is they are far cheaper . Remember this outsourcer was chosen as they offered the highest bid to run the service at a level of service acceptable to the FCO.. The ad for an outsourcer appeared in the Bangkok Post placed by the Embassy.Their aim is to make a nice profit.

As for your other unpleasant personal remarks all I can say is that this is a forum for views on different subjects and viewpoints not for personal attacks on people. Thank you.

how can you say in one post"these chennia based idiots"

and a day later say "this financially sound and properly established indian company"

if you put your head in the noose,expect someone to pull the rope

Dear GU22,can you just clarify something for me,I read your post the other day,regarding the visit of someone to the VFS and the ease that he found in making his application.The way I read it was that you can purchase the correct Draft at the VFS for the MASSIVE sum of 35Baht.If this is the case,why and please someone tell me Why,has Adolf Toppfeild spent more than 35Baht on Electricty with all of these rediculous BL***Y post.

Also,seeing as this Forum Deals with all Matters regarding living,working,eating and everything that you can possibly think of with regard to Thailand,and not to mention interracial Realationships,then i really must say that it is no place for RACIST remarks of the kind seen in Toppfeilds Post,and I must admitt that I find them offensive

and Toppfeild if you read this post as I am sure you will,remember that when you point a Finger at someone,you have Three fingers Pointing back at you,which raises the Question,Who is the Bl**dy Idiot

Kind Regards

Richard

While racist comments are against forum rules, doing an impersonation of a human train wreck in slow motion isn’t.

So you’ve been officially warned toppy (after a number of less than subtle hints).

From an entertainment perspective however, you are hard to beat. Crash away old chap.

Why does any inadequate try to make themselves look big on the internet?

Sad, isn't it?