What's up with the oil/tar? on Chaweng/Lamai beaches?

Didn't have a steady wifi while on vacation, so that's why i ask now after returning home from vacation on Samui.

Been there 5 times and never experienced the problem so bad before.

Walking down the beaches and ones feet was covered in what appeared to look like some kind of black oil/tar or something.

Experienced it on Chaweng and Lamai but not up at Maenam.

Chaweng had a lot more it that Lamai though.

Don't have my memorycards with pictures at me atm, but got some pictures of what it looked like, when going down to the beach in the morning looking at the sunrise.

Will post a few pictures when i get them later this weekend.

I noticed a lot of other tourist beeing covered in it aswell, and they didn't look very pleased about it.

Is it particular bad this year or are there just beeing dumped more into the sea from boats or something?

Also noticed the thaistaffs on the hotels scrabed it together in the morning, but instead of getting rid of it in bags etc, they just dug several 2 feet deep holes in the sand and dumped all of it in there and put sand on top of it again.

Rinse and repeat each morning.

Is that actually removing the problem or just hiding it?

The wind is coming from the East/Southeast right now, thats why this side of the island gets all the rubbish these days. In December we had it here in Bangrak. At least we didnt have any oil, just lotsa other garbage. Should change in a few weeks and then people in Nathon, Lipa Noi etc. can "enjoy" it.

There's oil in Chaweng. I had it on me after swimming last week, nearly impossible to rub off.

I also have friends arrived from Sweden staying at Regent and they say their feet are covered in it after every swim.

Also there's a news post about it on Samui Times somewhere if I remember correctly.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Got my memorycards so here is a few.

This is what it looked like when i saw it in the early morning.

Those small patties looking like tar or something were soft and broke up easily on contact, so they got stuck to your feet,shoes etc.

post-138525-0-43395700-1396263649_thumb.

post-138525-0-14935500-1396263676_thumb.

Hopefully it's long gone by now.

But it was a nice sunrise that morning by the way smile.png

post-138525-0-06928100-1396264186_thumb.

Beach walked for 40 mins and had a quick swim and my feet became covered in it on Sunday so it's still there. I didn't see anything though or I would have avoided it so it must have been tiny bits, but the stains on my feet won't even come off :(

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

end of the March in those beaches and I always have the time to swim for a long time in day time and I didn't see anything! I mean, it was perfect both in the Chaweng and Lamai! chaweng was a little bit stormy but no oil.

• Like 1

end of the March in those beaches and I always have the time to swim for a long time in day time and I didn't see anything! I mean, it was perfect both in the Chaweng and Lamai! chaweng was a little bit stormy but no oil.

Same on north end and west side beaches of the island too ! which I've seen in the last few days! thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

If it was oil/tar it would still there until someone bagged it up and took it away.

False alarm maybe? whistling.gif

Wouldn't call it a false alarm since there was something at that time, but i'm glad to hear it's gone by now.

Wasn't that nice to get it on feets/sandals and later drag it up to the hotel, so the floortiles and stairs got covered in that black stuff.

We asked the Thai waitor at our usual hotel about it and he replied it was stuff dumped by boats/ships, so i assume it was something to do with diesel,oil,tar etc.

But it's nice to hear it's gone by now.

Hopefully it stays that way.