Words that seem to have a similar meaning confusing me

james24

Hi guys

I just wanted to know what the differences are between the following words.

1. Chai mai - Rue Blao

2. Kor - ka roo na

The first one is a question but I cant understand the difference and the second one are used to say please...?

Sorry I cant wirte Thai, I am trying

1, they both come at the end of questions,

seeing as you cant read Thai I wont type in Thai.

wan nee akat ron chai mai its hot today isnt it

gin kao rue plao, will you eat or not

2. Kor used as a request for someone to do some task.

Ka roo na, I usually see this as written Thai.

Thanks for that mate

The sentence " Pom tham arai pit rue blao" means "Have done something wrong or not"?

Is it meant to be that blunt? Or is it just the translation that makes it seem like that?

I have heard ka roo na said quite alot though...is it an old way of please..?

Actually is kor the way to say please??

P.S you can write in Thai aswell if you like, it would probably help me

"กรุณา" is used mainly in writing, at the beginning of a sentence, and is used in the sense of "kindly", for instance in this way :

" Will you kindly tell me ..."

for "rue plao", if your answer is "yes ", you say ( exemple above ) kin krap ; if your anwer is negative, you answer " plao krap " or " mai kin krap ".

there are several ways to say "please", "kor" is one of them.

Thx guys great work

Regarding rue Blao the fact u use it the same as chai Mai e.g using one of the words for the answer makes it even more similar...

Rue Blao seems very hard to define and I guess it may be one of those things I just hv to learn when it is most commonly said. Chai Mai means yes or no, rue Blao means yes or not... Woo this is harder than English lol

What other ways can u say please , t bh I never used it that much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chai mai is closest to "isn't it?" The expectation is the answer will be "yes".

Rue plaaw is "or not?" - there's no expectation of a particular answer. It's often shortened simply to "rue".

Might I suggest you buy a copy of "Thai: an Essential Grammar" by David Smyth? It'll answer a lot of your basic questions. It's widely available here.

Karuna "กรุณา" is a very polite word for "please", but it is certainly in common use.

Patrick

In Makro food service, near the scales for fruits and vegetables, there is a sign in thai which asks customers to have their items weighed before going to pay : the sign begins by "กรุณา "

I think this word is in common use use to ask customers to do something

Chai mai is closest to "isn't it?" The expectation is the answer will be "yes".

Rue plaaw is "or not?" - there's no expectation of a particular answer. It's often shortened simply to "rue".

Might I suggest you buy a copy of "Thai: an Essential Grammar" by David Smyth? It'll answer a lot of your basic questions. It's widely available here.

I'm not in Thailand anymore actually in Sydney . I looked for an e book of the new edition but doesn't seem there is one.

I can learn more about the grammar online

Thx mate onto the next question lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"กรุณา" is used mainly in writing, at the beginning of a sentence, and is used in the sense of "kindly", for instance in this way :

" Will you kindly tell me ..."

for "rue plao", if your answer is "yes ", you say ( exemple above ) kin krap ; if your anwer is negative, you answer " plao krap " or " mai kin krap ".

there are several ways to say "please", "kor" is one of them.

I would never use the word "kin" (กิน) to mean eat - unless with close friends; the polite word which I would always use is taan (ทาน) - but I accept that's perhaps just my own idiosyncrasy.

Using the above terminology however I would suggest that the proper response to "kin khao reu plao" in the positive would be "kin leaow krap" - and in the negative would be "yang mai dai kin krap".

Patrick

Edit to add :

If you really want to impress the Mother - in - Law or whoever, use the word "รับ" as in "Rab Khao mai krap" .

Patrick

Edited by p_brownstone

In the example I gave above, it just implies that I don't want to eat, not that I have eaten already or not

as for "kin", I hear it all the time around me, on any occasions: I am not obseded by politeness, I just speak as I hear people speak.

I know " rap pratan ahan ", but I never use it.

My first teacher insisted we say รับประท้น rather than กิน (this was in the 1960's) but when I use it know I get polite smiles (most think it is funny.) My family always use ทาน with me.