Burning problem....... Sorted!

Chiengmaijoe

They do it every year as the token response.

I saw a huge sign not far from San Patong last year saying " Stop the Burning" in both English & Thai? To placate the moaning Farang I guess?

Next to the sign was a large pile of leaves and wood being burned! TIT

I ride the Samoeng road quite often and every year there are 5 or so signs only in Thai telling people not to burn the forest. These signs are located in prominent locations. It's obviously debatable whether or not these signs are helpful or not...

Won't be long before someone decides to burn the sign as they just can't light enough fires as I think they consider it an annual official pastime.

Seriously, If it was just an annual annoyance it would be one thing but these idiots are causing serious physical harm to literally thousands and as another poster said, they don't give a rat's ass. This is a good way to judge someone by their actions or inactions towards another and it does not speak very well for the locals and justifiably so. Time to call it like it is and replace Land of Smiles with Land of Smoke, Land of Smog and Land of Stupidity. Adios amigos.

• Like 1

Well when you consider they have been doing it for hundereds of years I don't think a farang at there door telling them it is harming them and him means much to them.

They need to be taken by the hand and shown there is other ways and they can make more money using them.

Bitching on Thai Visa doesn't do a thing. Tell the local government there is another way then they might be interested.

Edited by northernjohn

I agree there is no easy way to tackle the burning problem, as the people just do not seem to care. In our village, most people put their rubbish out for collection, including garden waste, but not our immediate next door neighbor..? He tries to save 20 baht by burning his trash at night. Now we have the garden hose at the ready, and as soon as he lights his trash, we douse it with water..! He is not happy.

Won't be long before someone decides to burn the sign as they just can't light enough fires as I think they consider it an annual official pastime.

Seriously, If it was just an annual annoyance it would be one thing but these idiots are causing serious physical harm to literally thousands and as another poster said, they don't give a rat's ass. This is a good way to judge someone by their actions or inactions towards another and it does not speak very well for the locals and justifiably so. Time to call it like it is and replace Land of Smiles with Land of Smoke, Land of Smog and Land of Stupidity. Adios amigos.

If the 'adios' means you're leaving Thailand it's just as well. It doesn't suit everyone and if it's causing you to be unhappy, then it's best to leave. Your choice of words suggests a bad case of Culture Shock and that takes a fair bit of overcoming.

I love how they put those in English.

1) As if the farmers read English. Most of them probably can't read at all.

2) As if they farmers are driving around the city paying attention to billboards.

This place is so full of retarded ideas that it should be called.... Thailand, the land of special people.

If the 'adios' means you're leaving Thailand it's just as well. It doesn't suit everyone and if it's causing you to be unhappy, then it's best to leave. Your choice of words suggests a bad case of Culture Shock and that takes a fair bit of overcoming.

That isn't a bad case of culture shock. That is common sense regarding the health of everyone in the area. Clean-ish air isn't too much to ask for no matter where you are.

This problem could be solved by simply enforcing the law for once. It is sad that many Thais and foreigners accept this as simply the way it is and OK. It is exactly that frame of mind that allows it to continue.

That isn't a bad case of culture shock. That is common sense regarding the health of everyone in the area. Clean-ish air isn't too much to ask for no matter where you are.

This problem could be solved by simply enforcing the law for once. It is sad that many Thais and foreigners accept this as simply the way it is and OK. It is exactly that frame of mind that allows it to continue.

So how much is Thailand responsible for ?whistling.gif

asia.jpg

• Like 2

Why do people come here and think it is no problem to solve a 100s of year old problem rooted in culture for the most part.

These clowns bring part of it with them with their use of vehicles but that is OK it is convenient for them. They overlook the forest fire part of it and just bash Thai's.

Clean air is not to much to ask for where ever you are but in some areas it is stupid to think you are going to get it. For people like that adios is the best answer and they should give a little bit of thought as to where there next destination is going to be.

Actually they should check on the law where they are moving to. Back where I come from in Canada if your car get's broken into the police don't even bother to come look at it. They just put it on a record.

Edited by northernjohn

Why do people come here and think it is no problem to solve a 100s of year old problem rooted in culture for the most part.

These clowns bring part of it with them with their use of vehicles but that is OK it is convenient for them. They overlook the forest fire part of it and just bash Thai's.

Clean air is not to much to ask for where ever you are but in some areas it is stupid to think you are going to get it. For people like that adios is the best answer and they should give a little bit of thought as to where there next destination is going to be.

Actually they should check on the law where they are moving to. Back where I come from in Canada if your car get's broken into the police don't even bother to come look at it. They just put it on a record.

Sad but what has made northern Thailand and Chiang Mai specifically so popular will in the end kill it, Retires and Tourist.wink.png

Edited by khwaibah
  • Like 1

I ride the Samoeng road quite often and every year there are 5 or so signs only in Thai telling people not to burn the forest. These signs are located in prominent locations. It's obviously debatable whether or not these signs are helpful or not...

I think not debatable at all probably a "feel good " factor for the local Government...look what we are doing.

There are 1000's of army personnel in barracks, in and around, CM, if the Gov was serious they could get them off their butts and extinguish any fire,locating them would hardly be difficult.

3 weeks ago we went to Bangkok by bus. Between CM, Lampang and Tak we counted about 2 dozen fires ,mostly farmers burning off rice stubble but the clincher was a huge, 6 m x 3 m sign, by the side of the highway which read in Thai "Don't burn" around it someone had burnt off a 20 m radius ,that's how serious this and previous Governments take this issue. Landing at CM a few days ago the whole area was blanketed in smoke and I don't buy the idea that it was from any other country than Thailand.

Funny how a person's attitude changes after being here awhile.

Funny how a person's attitude changes after being here awhile.

Even funnier when it doesn't.