Dog in BKK Advice

Hi Guys,

My wife and I are soon to move into our first house, and as such the first time we have the opportunity to have our own dog. We both grew up with dogs and absolutely love them, so this decision is primarily focused on if we can give the dog a happy, active life whilst we are in Bangkok for at least the next 3 years.

We are looking at a boxer pup, mainly as I grew up with a beautiful boxer and have always loved their personality, albeit I am aware they are very active dogs who act like a young dog well into their later life.

The house we will be renting has a very large, covered, secure driveway, which would be perfect for the dog during the day or when we are out. My wife works from home most days so would be present most of the time and I return from work around 3pm so also around a lot. We have no children.

Our main concerns are:

• Thailand does not seem to have many public parks etc. where dogs are welcome, at least not near us. Will he not get bored with the same route around the block to a small quiet field area we know? Is this fair?
  • We do not own a car so very much limited to the area around us (Bangna) however we could buy a car if need be in the future. Would not owning a car be a huge issue given public transport do not allow dogs here? Does having a car make a big difference in terms of getting to areas where the dog can enjoy a more stimulating walk?
  • Are dogs generally welcomed by Thai's? For example we shop at the market a lot, eat at street vendors locally etc. Do you simply tie the dog up to a post as you walk around the market, or if not too busy do they mind him being with you if on lead?
  • Do Soi dogs attack pet dogs when walking? Will they be an issue?
  • The heat here can be intolerable. How do dogs handle the heat? Do they overheat when out for a walk and say playing catching a ball? Or are they good at slowing down if getting very hot? Do most people walk in morning and after 6pm so its cool?

I am sure there are a 100 more things I have forgot but at present these are the things that are holding us back. We want to provide the best life we can for a dog, and finally having a house instead of a flat means we have the opportunity. We just want to make sure we bring a pup into out lives for the right reason and don't let the fact we 'can' dictate the decision.

boyo its a shame you live so far away from me otherwise you could come and see how the wife and I cope with having a double coated dog or as we call him our son.

we have a large house with a good size garden which is a must for a dog who must have as much exersize as possible,as we live on a moo-ban he gets walked morning[6am] and evening when the sun goes down.heat is a big problem so as to make his life comfortable we have fans outside with plenty of cover and he sleeps with us in an air con room. he is a very happy boy and we love him to bits but owning a dog in Thailand is a full time job looking after him,we don't work and one of us is at home with him always.we bought a car so we could take him out but wherever you go you will encounter strays and dogs that run loose all day.most of which will carry some decease or other so that's why you have to take care where you walk him.mosquito's are also a big problem so heartworm is a big killer if you don't have him vaccinated regular or as we do give him heart guard tabs every month.you will have a big problem if you think you can take him with you when going out to eat there are hundreds of soi dogs everywhere big and small who wouldn't think twice about attacking. I don't know what to tell you have or not to have as ours who we rescued from a loving home but sadly the owner had to give him up at 1yr.old,even at a young age he got loose for 3weeks before he came to us and was barely alive,our vet saved his life and I think he knows it as the love he gives us is out of this world.

awww sounds like a perfect situation for you and your dog. Very envious of the garden space you have, he must love running about that. Sad about the soi dogs too, never realised they could be such a problem. Definatly food for thought.

I've got an English Bull Terrier and a Labrador and owning dogs here can be good but there are issues. Vets fees are very cheap, find a good vet. Having an English Bull Terrier I've got to know my vet well as she often has skin problems. Its difficult too walk dogs on the street as pavements don't exist in the normal sense of the word (full of noodle carts, bike taxis etc) and there are lots of strays,, so it might help to carry a stick. I'd never take my dog to a market or a restaurant although you find some Thais take the small toy/rat/hand bag breeds. A car/truck helps as you can take your dogs to a quiet beach or like I do walk it on the road in secure golf course..

BTW I live in Rayong not BKK, hope this helps.

awww sounds like a perfect situation for you and your dog. Very envious of the garden space you have, he must love running about that. Sad about the soi dogs too, never realised they could be such a problem. Definatly food for thought.

it is sad about all the dogs that are homeless and have no owners,its heartbreaking at times to see those that have homes how some of them are treated,its very hard for me to keep my mouth shut but I know its shut up or pay the price.

as our dog comes from working sledge dogs he loves to run and will do three or four laps around the house but we have to be carful that he don't over do it,my running days are over but the wife will give him 10mins at jogging pace.

good luck whatever you decide. taff.

In my experience, my dog (Whisky) doesn't get bored with walking the same routes every few days. There's always some new dog poo to sniff or patch of wee that requires thorough investigation.

My concern about a lack of a car would be getting the dog to the vet. Whisky gets heartworm injections at the vet every 6 weeks.

Attitudes to dogs vary by area. If you live in a Muslim area you could well have problems. And if your dog is a nuisance you will have problems. Poisoning a noisy dog is a commonplace here, and the death is horrible.

Yes, soi dogs will attack your pet if it invades their territory. The first time this happened to Whisky I just froze. Thankfully some workmen came to help and he wasn't too badly injured. Be prepared. Always take a stick with you, some stones in your pocket to throw. And if the stones run out, take off your shoes and throw them.

Dog can overheat quite easily. Keep them running for 15 minutes or so and they can die. Just don't overdo it. Not many people here actually walk their dogs, but those that do do it early in the morning or late afternoon.

Just one last thought: do you really have to get a pedigree dog? There are so many wonderful street dogs that desperately need a home, and they can make the most magnificent, loyal and loving companions.

Just spotted something else: you'll be renting.

Just be aware that puppies can be incredibly destructive. I have ripped off wallpaper and chewed steps on the stairs to attest to that - and I think I got off lightly. You're going to have to pay to fix any damage. (That said, since Thai landlords often don't repay the deposits you may not actually be losing out.)

Some replies to your specific concerns:

• Thailand does not seem to have many public parks etc. where dogs are welcome, at least not near us. Will he not get bored with the same route around the block to a small quiet field area we know? Is this fair?

He won't, in my experience, get bored. In fact dogs like routines. The main thing is that he get enough human company and affection.

• We do not own a car so very much limited to the area around us (Bangna) however we could buy a car if need be in the future. Would not owning a car be a huge issue given public transport do not allow dogs here? Does having a car make a big difference in terms of getting to areas where the dog can enjoy a more stimulating walk?

Well not having a car will mean you can't take him with you on errands that aren't in walking distance. Bot as for the "stimulating walk", human and dog ideas of stimulation are rather different. For the dog, stimulation is all about scents. Odds are that the field near you attracts many stray dogs etc and that each day will provide him with new sensory "treats".

• Are dogs generally welcomed by Thai's? For example we shop at the market a lot, eat at street vendors locally etc. Do you simply tie the dog up to a post as you walk around the market, or if not too busy do they mind him being with you if on lead?

I bring my dog with me, on a lead, pretty much everywhere (even inside shops and sometimes restaurants) and usually no problems -- in fact lots of oohs and ahs -- but he is a small dog and thus non-threatening in appearance, you might run into more concern with a large dog. An iopen fresh market would be OK (they've already got soi dogs roaming about as it is).

• Do Soi dogs attack pet dogs when walking? Will they be an issue?

Yes, they sometimes do. Also soi cats, some of whom (especially those living around fresh markets) can be rather large and bold. I've learned to keep an eye out and to read the signs on stray dogs (position of tail, ears etc) to gauge if they are likely to be a threat. Again, it helps that my dog is small. When necessary I simply scoop him up in my arms and walk him past the risk zone. (He finds this most humiliating!)

• The heat here can be intolerable. How do dogs handle the heat? Do they overheat when out for a walk and say playing catching a ball? Or are they good at slowing down if getting very hot? Do most people walk in morning and after 6pm so its cool?

Sensitivity to heat varies by breed. Long haired dogs and dogs of breeds that come from Europe/North America are, as you might expect, most prone to have problems in the heat. That said, any dog will have trouble when it gets as hot as it has been of late, and owners need to be attentive to this, especially as dogs cannot sweat. You will know your dog is hot when you see that he is panting, as this is the main mechanism dogs have for cooling down. I bring my dog inside where the a/c is when it is excessively hot outside and/or I see that he is panting. Or you could arrange a fan in a shaded area for him. Many people also splash their dogs down with water when it is very hot.

For all factors, you will do best if you get a mixed breed local rescued dog. It will have "street smarts", be acclimated to the weather, have excellent genes in terms of resistance to disease, and these are usually dogs with great personality as well. By mixed breed I mean not pure bred (tons of health problems), but the dog can still have the appearance of particular breed.

See http://www.soidog.org/en/adoptions/ or, go to a nearby wat. That's where Thais take homeless dogs or dogs they no longer want and there are always plenty there -- often including puppies -- which the monks will be delighted to have you take.

If you live in the Bang Na area there is a new dog park just opened in the Prawet area https://www.facebook.com/#!/petsvillebkk you can take your dog here for swimming, running, etc. Its an excellent (new) facility both my dogs love trips there.

and over on the Thonburi side of the river, there is "Pet Paradise".

And in the heart of Bangkok (suk Soi 33 or 35, forget which) is Ozono, though expensive.

Or you could arrange a fan in a shaded area for him.

As you mentioned, dogs don't sweat (except through their paws), so a fan isn't really going to help with keeping the dog cool, and the constant breeze can dry out the dog's muzzle and eyes. A nice shaded area with plenty of water available is good, though.

Or you could arrange a fan in a shaded area for him.

As you mentioned, dogs don't sweat (except through their paws), so a fan isn't really going to help with keeping the dog cool, and the constant breeze can dry out the dog's muzzle and eyes. A nice shaded area with plenty of water available is good, though.

our car port doesn't get the sun till around 4pm.so he lays under the car a lot with a fan on low,if it does get too warm like what we are getting now he will cone inside and lay in the downstairs shower room.one thing I forgot to mention ours loves a wipe down with a towel out of the fridge.